atmclk.exe spyware - transpartent to MS and Norton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked this up and really had a hard time getting rid of it.

atmclk.exe - it's one of those selfreplicating deals ..but Norton doesn't see it nor the new MS Defender.

The way I had to get rid of it was very cumbersome ..and I'm still sorting out a few things. What it does is put an official looking virus warning popup and installs an icon on your system tray. It leads you to a site for something like SpywareQuake or whatnot.

Anyway, I, as usual, put it into google and there was no "official" solution. Symantec had no data on it.

I found this forum It required manually deleting the offending files in the command prompt/dos window. You don't know how rusty I am with DOS commands. You can figure out what to delete from the system32 folder by first searching in Windows and just getting files that were written on the date that the popup began to appear. Then reboot in safe mode w/command prompt. You can't get rid of it while in windows. You can't close the program fast enough and delete it before it's in use again.

I imagine that the pros will have a fix for it in a few days or so (I hope) ..but before then ..this appears to be the only way.
dunno.gif

I wonder why the vendor of the software that this directs you to can't be jailed for this behavior
confused.gif
A couple of prison terms should reduce this type of mechant.

Find out what files have been added to your system in the past week (searching by date). If they're attached to the bug ..you won't be able to delete them in Windows.

I'm sure that I'm oversimplifying it ..but
dunno.gif
you may be able to identify just what's there.

Get Panda Platinum Internet Security 2006 top firewall and legendary AV and your troubles are over. Install free SpywareBlaster 3.5.1, and download CClean. Get a reg cleaner/optimiser (I purchased My RegistryCleaner 2.1 and now trialling Registry Mechanic, PC Doc Pro 3.5 and PC Optimiser. With O&O Toolbox for defrag, file caching, realtime drive monitoring and secure erase troubles are a thing of the past. I did have a trojan recently but was runing with filewall off as I couldn't access anyweb sites with it on after upgrading Panda to a new version. You live and learn. Shannow boot up in Safe mode to get rid of nasties.

I wish the XP Task Manager was able to kill two programs at once. If they had little check boxes by each, and a big KILL button, that would be very useful with these kinds of programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back