ATF soak-in cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
The #1 cylinder on my 3cyl yamaha wavewunner is about 55psi while the #2 and #3 cylinders are making about 110 psi. I want to let some oil soak in the cylinders. What should i do to help clean the rings a bit.

Realtech214, there is conventional wisdom floating around in gear-head circles that ATF is loaded with detergents. So, one would think it would have good cleaning/penetrating oil characteristics for something like a piston soak.

That 'wisdom' is incorrect. ATF has few detergents so the Seafoam advice given above is probably very good.

The fan favorite will be seafoam, I've never used it but I have freeeeed up a lot of cylinders with marvel mystery oil, along with that, the local restoration\machine shops I've been to use it for stuck stuff like this.

U can't go wrong with either one

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
The #1 cylinder on my 3cyl yamaha wavewunner is about 55psi while the #2 and #3 cylinders are making about 110 psi. I want to let some oil soak in the cylinders. What should i do to help clean the rings a bit.

I would use some Lubrigard Free-eze:

LG Free-eze

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: leroyd92
The fan favorite will be seafoam, I've never used it but I have freeeeed up a lot of cylinders with marvel mystery oil, along with that, the local restoration\machine shops I've been to use it for stuck stuff like this.

U can't go wrong with either one

I have to agree with you.
My stock Harley pistons had 1/8" thick hard crusty carbon deposits on them when I swapped them out to go with a 106" kit.
I had them sitting on my work table and accidentally spilled mmo and some mmo splashed onto one of the piston tops.
A day later I'm in my garage and I see wet spots on the piston so I grab it and where the mmo had splashed on the piston the carbon was soft and wiped off with my finger however where the carbon was dry it was still hard and caked on.
So I decided to do an experiment. Mmo on the one piston and tc-w3 on the other.
I saturated both piston tops.
A couple days later I was in my garage and decided to see what the verdict was with these pistons. On both crowns the carbon was softened and easily wiped off with a shop rag.
Now I'm not sure if you're gonna want to do a piston soak with tc-w3 because it worked very well for softening up carbon too but mmo worked great as well.
I left them alone for a coupe days too so keep that in mind

I was thinking of recommending MMO, knowing it has some detergents, but then again, I have never successfully used it to free up an engine.

I have made only one attempt in memory and I believe the rod was broken.

I use MMO only in my gas. A few oz's per tank. So shortly I'll pull my plugs a give it a looksee, if there's much carbon built up. I have freed up a stuck Mercury outboard motor by dumping Liquid wrench in the cyls.It took me a week of pouring some in the cyls each day, and tapping on the flywheel to get it spinning.This was 25+ years ago and you could get liquid wrench in 1 gallon cans. A stuck ring, or a broken ring, or a hole burned in the piston will give you low compression.,,

Of course the ideal thing would be to take it apart and see what is going on. Could be a burned valve.

Did you dump a little motor oil down the bad cylinder and rerun the compression test? That will tell you rings or burned valves.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Of course the ideal thing would be to take it apart and see what is going on. Could be a burned valve.

Did you dump a little motor oil down the bad cylinder and rerun the compression test? That will tell you rings or burned valves.

I think he has a 2-stroke engine

If you've got 55 psi on a 2 stroke engine, you're hosed. No amount of soaking is going to save the day. Most likely ran lean from plugged jet, air leak at a crank seal, torn carb boot and so on, then burned a piston. It will probably have visible damage to the top of the piston on the exhaust side. You may be able to inspect through the spark plug hole, or depending on the design, the exhaust port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back