ATF servicing intervals

I've been letting the ATF go about 30K miles, then do a pan drop, replace the filter and a line off fluid exchange.

I do full flush with AISIN WS ATF fully synthetic every 50,000km and I have a transmission oil cooler fitted inline, I also added a Magnefine filter in between the transmission cooler and the return line. My old oil comes out relatively clean and the feel of shift be it under hot traffic or doing steep hills on hot day remains as good as new.

Accord gets a D&F every oil change (~10k miles) TL gets one every other oil change (~12-15k).

It's only a little more often over what Honda recommended in the past which was 4X D&F every 60K. Instead of doing it all at once, I choose to spread it out over the oil changes, since I'm under the car already, and it's easy. The Accord also has the 'fragile' transmission, so more often won't do it any harm.

Clublexus is shockingly useless,

That's flat wrong - I've had and tried to give a lot of value there for quite a few years. There may be some sub-forums that aren't that active or helpful, but don't over-generalize.

[/quote] nobody works on cars [/QUOTE]

Maybe you've had a bad experience in a newer car forum, but certainly for older models there's a ton of good info, mechanics who give advice, etc. And the CW there on at change is no different than here.

That's flat wrong - I've had and tried to give a lot of value there for quite a few years. There may be some sub-forums that aren't that active or helpful, but don't over-generalize.
nobody works on cars [/QUOTE]

Maybe you've had a bad experience in a newer car forum, but certainly for older models there's a ton of good info, mechanics who give advice, etc. And the CW there on at change is no different than here.
[/QUOTE]
I find Club Lexus pretty bad. Some good information? Sure. Overall, not so much, especially from a tech perspective.
Part of that is Lexus cars are pretty dependable and owners tend to not work on their cars.
Just my opinion.

I agree, and I go way overboard with a drain and refill every oil change and a pan drop/filter replacement every 25,000 miles (40,000 km). Must be doing something right; I got 500,000 km (312,500 miles) on my Aisin V4AW2 alone, which still operates like it did on day one.

I read an article a while back where it said the ATF loses 25% of its efficacy every 15k miles. So, mathematically, at 60k the fluid is shot.
Not sure that all ATFs are created equal therefore an article that makes such a blanket, generic claim has to be questioned.

On my Chev 6L90, I pull out 3 quarts once per year with a vac, and do a pan drop and filter replacement every 5 years, (about 60,000 miles). I did let the dealer do the first two pan drops complete with flushes at 50,000 mile and 100,000 miles. The transmission now has 210,000 miles.

Dunno about that, but sometimes I think service schedules are influenced by marketing.
I don't believe in lifetime fluids.
I definitely don't believe in lifetime fluids. FordTechMakuloco on YouTube has a video showing blown up transmissions with cooked transmission fluid. I have a MityVac 7201 so I can just vacuum out the fluid and pump it back in without too much hassle. I don't even need to remove the body shield.

I definitely don't believe in lifetime fluids. FordTechMakuloco on YouTube has a video showing blown up transmissions with cooked transmission fluid. I have a MityVac 7201 so I can just vacuum out the fluid and pump it back in without too much hassle. I don't even need to remove the body shield.
Nice... I have not had luck using the MityVac on Honda Acura transmissions; it doesn't pull much fluid. It is also a good idea to clean the magnetic drain plug. However, after the 1st service, the amount of metal on the magnet is very minimal.

Nice... I have not had luck using the MityVac on Honda Acura transmissions; it doesn't pull much fluid. It is also a good idea to clean the magnetic drain plug. However, after the 1st service, the amount of metal on the magnet is very minimal.
The MityVac is very hit-or-miss depending on the design of your engine or transmission. Luckily, the Ford engine and transmission allows a lot of the oil and transmission fluid to be removed. Honestly, removing the body shield is 99% of the PITA of doing any service to the car because I use ramps, and I have the shield smooshed against my face. My strategy for oil changes will be to use a Mobil 1 filter that's rated for 10,000 miles, and change the oil every five thousand miles. Save myself one body shield drop. I will also do another transmission drain and swap at the next oil change then wait 30,000 miles for the next swap.

but sometimes I think service schedules are influenced by marketing.
Marketing groups aren't going to promote things that are technically infeasible. They'd be overruled.... Marketing also doesn't do anything in regards to owners manuals beyond designing the pretty front cover pages.

Toyota recommends every 100K on their sealed CVT's. I got mine done at 90k miles just to be safe. My Volvo has a supposed lifetime fill, yeah right. I drained and did a full fluid replacement at 66K miles. The fluid was totally shot, looked and smelled really bad. Since then every two years, I drain and replace the 2.5 quarts that comes out with fresh fluid. I just replaced the filter this year at 132K when
I did the drain and refill, the fluid was a nice bright pink color.

You have to look at your situation and decide how much maintenance your particular vehicle needs. I suggest you create your own maintance schedule for each vehicle based on it's level of use.

Back