ATF service: 2016 BMW 528i Xdrive

JXW

With 126,000 miles on the vehicle it has NOT been suggested by the dealer to replace or svc the ATF/Transmission fluid filter etc. I would like to know experiences from those who have BMW similar to mine (2016 MY) with regards to transmission services. Good, bad, ugly.

Recently my driving style changed to heavy stop and go slow speed with lots of reverse. I noticed what I thought to be some "clunkiness" with changes from reverse to forward etc.

Service is scheduled for 1-16-21 via BMW Dealer. Oil Change (Ravenol VST 5w-40) and dealer/OEM filter. Whatever dealer kits have for ATF services.

rare is the dealer that will recommend an ATF exchange for they make more money replacing transmissions.
ABSOLUTELY exchange that fluid, but since it's been that long I'd do it a bit at the time so as not to run the risk
of having chunks of deposit running in the fluid.

rare is the dealer that will recommend an ATF exchange for they make more money replacing transmissions.
ABSOLUTELY exchange that fluid, but since it's been that long I'd do it a bit at the time so as not to run the risk
I like your recommendation. With the dealer performing the service should I have assurance that "chunks" will not be an issue?

I like your recommendation. With the dealer performing the service should I have assurance that "chunks" will not be an issue?
The chunks are due to the cleaning agents in the new ATF so that would depend on how much vanish & deposits are on your transmission.
Do not use ANY transmission fluid additives that they try to sell you.
I'd do a few drop n fills and then a full exchange with a machine as this is the only way to get the fluid out of the torque converter.
These new machine son't flush, but they gently push the fluid out and replace it with fresh one.
This is how I'd do it, other may and will disagree. ;)

Unfortunate you are so far away, would love to help you out with that and do it the proper way. Most dealers are not familiar with services of the 8HP around here and do more damage than good. It is not an easy service compared to others, but should be done every 50k miles if you drive in traffic a lot.

I have never seen an automatic requiring replacement except for leaking due to porosity of the casting.

Some dealers will use a universal MOC/BG fluid for customer-pay services. Especially with Mopar and Honda using the ZF 8/9HP, the MOC man is probably peddling that stuff to BMW and Audi dealers too.

The official ZF kit includes a new pan/filter, gaskets and Lifeguard 8 fluid. Of course, you can buy the pan/filter assembly cheaper and use MaxLife, caveat emptor.

You would be better off if you found good European indy shop and got ZF8 kit on your own.
I think ZF branded pan/filter is $200 cheaper than ZF pan/filter that is branded under BMW name.
But absolutely do it. Also, absolutely do transfer case fluid change.

Some dealers will use a universal MOC/BG fluid for customer-pay services. Especially with Mopar and Honda using the ZF 8/9HP, the MOC man is probably peddling that stuff to BMW and Audi dealers too.

The official ZF kit includes a new pan/filter, gaskets and Lifeguard 8 fluid. Of course, you can buy the pan/filter assembly cheaper and use MaxLife, caveat emptor.
So the BG is bad option or is it acceptable?

When I did the last change and filter in my 6hp19 I figured at 225,000 miles I could risk maxlife. Still fine at 237,500. I might do another fluid drop once it warms up with maxlife.

I purchased the ZF service kit from FCP Euro and had an Indy perform the work. I did mine at around 55k miles. No issues whatsoever but obviously I was well under the 8yr/120k mile interval.

On an aside I'm surprised the BMW dealer is going to do your work. They typically have no experience refilling transmissions because transmission issues are almost always under warranty and BMWNA just replaces the unit.

Last edited:
I purchased the ZF service kit from FCP Euro and had an Indy perform the work. I did mine at around 55k miles. No issues whatsoever but obviously I was well under the 8yr/120k mile interval.

On an aside I'm surprised the BMW dealer is going to do your work. They typically have no experience refilling transmissions because transmission issues are almost always under warranty and BMWNA just replaces the unit.
The dealer was confident and did not hesitate on the ATF service. He said it was time to do this and that was the extent of the conversation. I will say that it was not every brought up in any service via the service advisor. I had to ask for this as well as the rear diff svc. My transmission is a bit more crisp now then prior to the service. He noted the old ATF was "not in bad shape". Over my 100,000 miles of ownership I would say about 95% or more of the miles are extended highway drives at speeds around 70-80mph. Very little stop and go until this December and that is when I believe I could see the shifts were not as crisp. I do not know if older ATF fluid contributes to NVH but it in fact it does then this investment IMO has reduced perceived NVH at 126,500 miles.

Good deal, even on partial fluid changes (drain and refill) most people leave away happy and feel it was worth it as the shifting seems to smooth out. On my personal 6HP I do 3 qts every 50k miles, still very crisp.

Reactions: JXW
Update: I had the service done at a BMW Dealer. They exchanged the fluid for me - cost $400. The shift points are crisp and no hesitation. Of all the things I have completed maintenance wise to date this one has delivered best improvement. The advisor noted the old fluid was not in terrible shape as well as a footnote.

The pan and/or gasket was leaking on my M235i at @60k miles, so the fluid change was part of the service. It was fortunate that the leak corresponded with my plan to change the ATF at that mileage.

Update: I had the service done at a BMW Dealer. They exchanged the fluid for me - cost $400. The shift points are crisp and no hesitation. Of all the things I have completed maintenance wise to date this one has delivered best improvement. The advisor noted the old fluid was not in terrible shape as well as a footnote.
Incredibly cheap. My dealer was going to charge over $1k and my Indy charged $600 (labor).

Reactions: JXW
Back