ATF for Road Racing/Track days in GT86

Do you have an engine oil cooler? if not, install. It will make the work of the coolant radiator easier and the coolant radiator will cool off AT better.
But, the transmission cooler has to be installed too.
Believe it or not, this car does not have a traditional "transmission fluid passes through a heat exchanger in the radiator" system, there's a tiny sandwich cooler (which is just as much of a heater) bolted to the inside of the transmission tunnel.

So I'll be adding an external ATF cooler in lieu of engine oil air-to-air cooler.

I'm working on getting a device which can monitor not only my water temp, but my oil and transmission temps. I will use those to gauge necessity of an external engine oil cooler, as well as see if I'm keeping trans temps and perhaps even overcooling.

Are you monitoring ATF temps? level?

If level is low, the damage is done, especially if the ATF temps at track were high.

Amsoil ATL, Redline D6, HPL Green, Torco LoVis... are a good start. Don't expect ATF to fix a race-worn transmission.

Consider the Sonnax/Ratiotek/Transgo upgrades to address VB wear/leaks/concerns.

I would control temps better vs playing with viscosity. Sump increase or cooler is a must if the ATF temp gauge calls for it.

And, increase the sump capacity by a pint+ with a remotely mounted oil/atf filter.
Thanks man, I'm really hoping no damage to trans. I was really worried, and the level was fine (even the fluid didn't smell super burnt), and I flushed it completely with MaxLife for now because that's what I could get 4 gallons of at a reasonable price on short notice.

Since then I've taken her on a test drive and while for example I can't test how it shifts from 3rd to 4th at redline legally, I did test the 1->2 and the 2->3 transition and they felt very smooth.

I am currently working on getting a monitoring solution that can read my car's sensors for oil temp and trans temp. I also have a B&M external trans cooler kit on the way. There's a possibility my temp monitoring solution won't be in place in time for my next track day, so I will probably run the trans cooler out of an abundance of caution.

Also now that I've watched the process with a BG Trans flush machine, I think I can DIY the next one. So my current status:

• Took sample of old trans fluid and sent in to Blackstone
  • Total flush of system with MaxLife full synthetic (for now)
  • Will take ATF sample after every track day for next few track days to monitor degradation (to eventually come up with a service interval, a representative of a racing mechanic suggested changing it out every 5-6 track days).
  • Will install trans cooler in meantime
  • Will install device that can display trans temp & oil temp with eye to tweak how I'm cooling my engine and trans.
  • In looking at my price sheet, I'm thinking if I have good cooling, I'm not sure the extra money for the fancier trans fluid is bying me anything. I'll monitor my MaxLife fill and continue my research in the meantime.

i would be interested in the " temp monitoring solution". what is out there? preferably 4 channels or more.

Resurrecting this after seeing it as a "similar thread" after creating my recent post. How have you faired with Maxlife and perhaps other ATF fluids that you've tried in the past few years on-track with your 96, @Lumberg?

Cheers!

Back