ATF Dipstick off by this much?

Hi all,

I’ve got a 2017 Nissan Frontier with I believe the Jatco RE5R05A 5 speed automatic. This morning I did a trans fluid drain in fill with Valvoline Maxlife ATF fluid which meets Nissan Matic S specs. I filled the fluid until the the atf fluid was at the top end of the cold hashmark as the vehicle was sitting in the garage overnight and hasn’t been run. I just took it out for a spin and am getting laggy starts/slips in first gear. This was a fleet maintained vehicle prior to my ownership. I drained and filled exactly what has come out in the past. This is the first time I’ve used the dipstick as a measurement tool as I felt it read a bit high. Is trans dipstick non accuracy normal or is this a sign of bigger issues? I plan on adding a half quart when I get back to the house. For more info unit only has 58,000 miles on it.

It sounds like your dipstick reading is corroborated by the fact that you matched the volume of fluid drained against what you put back in. I assume you didn't drain hot and fill cold, as that would cause you to overfill.

I do remember from one of the "Ford Tech Maculoco" videos on YouTube that he pointed out the need to check both sides of the dipstick in some vehicles and go by the higher of the two readings, as the upward facing side of the dipstick could read artificially low. But again, if you based your fluid change on accurately measured and matched volume, it doesn't make sense that there would be a variance.

Plus the cold fill line is generally only to have enough fluid in the transmission as to not cause damage, and to allow it to warm up to the proper temperature in order to do a correct measurement per the owner's manual or FSM. One should always determine the level exactly as the manufacturer states for that specific vehicle and transmission.

I've always had a heck of a hard time getting accurate fluid level readings from the tranny. I would guess that the most accurate way of getting a correct level is to do a drain and fill with the exact amount known to be required for a drain and fill? So drain it, and no matter what amount came out, put in the commonly known amount needed on a drain and fill to get it to the full mark as close as possible?

MUST be checked while running.
Shift thru all gears and back in park.
Fluid must be warm

Back