ATF Cooler Positioning (Pics inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I had an ATF cooler fitted to my 2003 Diamante.
I opted for a fairly large unit seeing as I also used a bypass thermostat valve so that if the fluid isn't hot enough it will not go through the external cooler.

Either way, this is how the mechanic could fit it, and the bulk of the cooler is hidden behind the solid part of the front bar.

Will this be okay or is it doing nothing considering what seems like minimal direct airflow through it?
Incidentally I went for a 200 mile drive on the highway and the cooler was warm to the touch, so the fluid must have gotten hotter than ideal even cruising on the highway (70mph).

Pics:

IMG_1106_zps304bb940.jpg

IMG_1105_zps0ce037e3.jpg

IMG_1099_zps235ac86b.jpg

IMG_1100_zpsa39c91ca.jpg

IMG_1098_zpsef51602f.jpg

It'd be better if all of the cooler was exposed, but you'll still see a lot of airflow through that area even if part of it is concealed.

Would you consider rotating the cooler 90 degerees so all of it sits exposed in the lower grill? Or get a hole-saw and make some ventilation (aka speed-holes?)

That rubber hose being exposed to rocks worries me a little bit.

Can you read the trans temp with a scan tool?

Usually you want under 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Plenty of air flow there, the car is almost a bottom breather anyway. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

+1. (What he said)

Airflow to me seems not the issue, but rather how close it is to the condenser.

It's a good thing that you didn't mount it using those plastic push pins, those are craap... a hard mount is much better!
But it still looks awfully close to the condenser, the more space you have behind it and away from the condenser, the better it will COOL.

On my car, I was able to get away with a smaller size unit because I mounted it 3 inches away from the condenser and right behind the grill.
I bought an LPD TRUcool cooler that's supposedly has a built in thermostatic system that bypasses fluid that's too cool/viscous.

There is a decent amount of space between the A/C condenser and the ATF cooler.

From my observations when the fans kicks in the ATF cooler is cool to the touch and loads of air passes through it.

Without the fans kicking in the cooler is warm to the touch. Is this a bad sign that it isn't getting enough air flow?

Nice..!!! Enjoy the cooler, they are a must w/ the heat patterns in Australia.

I am surprised it is not stock (cost cutting from manufacturer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back