ATF additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Mazda5 AT with 86,000 miles, a model subject to some AT problems. Lately it has been slipping a little on occasion. Is it worth considering any of the available additives, like Xado, which claim to extend the life of an AT, or are they all really snake oil?

Lubegard is the only one to consider, if you are going that route. I always prefer a better ATF rather than additives.

Were it me I would get the filter changed and do a complete fluid exchange using Amsoil ATF (if so speced). Installing a Magnefine inline filter would help also.

You do not mention maint. history for the transmission.

ive been happy in the past using Lucas atf conditioner, not the stop slip but the conditioner. my 03 f150 seemed to slip a bit between 1 & 2, maybe its in my mind (as im sure ill be told) but i added 2 bottles (1qt) and it seemed to stop that.

How old is the fluid that's in there now? If it isn't brand new, you'd be better off doing a complete exchange of fluid (flush) than trying addatives.

Red Line and Amsoil are good premium choices. I'm a big fan of Red Line gear oils.

Maxlife ATF is a new favorite of mine. I did a complete flush in my Tacoma using Maxlife with good results. Castrol Transmax Import ATF may be another good choice for you. You'll have to check their respective websites for your application.

I'm a big fan of Lubegard Red like many others here. It works very well IMO and it's the only additive that I trust in the transmission. I even use it on our new vehicles.

I would add LG along with a transmission service. As Bandito mentioned, Maxlife is a good affordable choice as long as it lists your spec on the bottle. Last time I bought some at Walmart, it was about $16 for a gallon jug.

LG is the only ATF additive I have ever seen specifically mentioned in a manufacturer' TSB.

That says it all. But as stated above, no bottle can fix a damaged slushbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back