ATF+4 or Universal atf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The parent's van, a 2005 Dodge Grand caravan with 75000 miles on it, has never had the transmission serviced. I'm taking over service on it now. Before it just had whatever the wonderful techs at Walmart thought it should have. I was going to start with a pan drop and then a few miles later a full fluid exchange. I've been looking at the visc and other specs of Amsoil universal against most ATF+4's. It seems like the Amsoil looks to be thicker and has a lower VI. I was going to use Amsoil just because it is available locally and this van gets run what I would consider severe service. Should I just go with a good ATF+4 or will the thicker Amsoil work? I also have some Lubegard laying around so I'm debating whether to add some of that in too or not.

ATF+4 only or you'll be sorry! It can be any brand, as long as it is ATF+4. Don't add the Lubegard.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
ATF+4 only or you'll be sorry! It can be any brand, as long as it is ATF+4. Don't add the Lubegard.

+1 buy it from Walmart.

Forgot to add I got a Magnefine filter for it. The more I read it seems these Chrysler transmissions are picky. Should I add the filter? I have one on my F150 and only have good things about it, but that's a Ford.

ATF+4 only with no extra additives. That transmission is very picky about fluid. I use Valvoline ATF+4 in mine but any brand is fine as long as it is ATF+4. Not worth taking chances on a transmission that is not known to be the best in the first place.

If Amsoil is spec'ed for a given use, then use it with confidence. I have it in my Jeep and will go into my Dodge Ram soon if its warm.

Some people will argue OEM everything.

Not saying ATF+4 is not a quality product, but Amsoil is better.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Originally Posted By: dishdude

+1 buy it from Walmart.

+2 Mine has Supertech and Castrol ATF +4. ATF +4 is such a tight spec that anything speced for it will be a quality synthetic fluid. I'd go ST

Originally Posted By: Donald
If Amsoil is spec'ed for a given use, then use it with confidence. I have it in my Jeep and will go into my Dodge Ram soon if its warm.

Does the Amsoil specifically say it's suitable for use in ATF+4 applications? If not, I wouldn't be using it in a Chrysler transmission.

I don't see anyone saying to use the OEM fluid, which would be Mopar ATF+4. I See several different brands being recommended. Bottom line is that you're better off using the cheapest fluid that meets the proper specs than an expensive synthetic that doesn't meet the specs.

I've used amsoil in chryco vehicles quite happily. castrol makes a +4 atf that seems to be ok-- though it's only been in our van for 6000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Does the Amsoil specifically say it's suitable for use in ATF+4 applications? If not, I wouldn't be using it in a Chrysler transmission.

I don't see anyone saying to use the OEM fluid, which would be Mopar ATF+4. I See several different brands being recommended. Bottom line is that you're better off using the cheapest fluid that meets the proper specs than an expensive synthetic that doesn't meet the specs.

Some will choose the cheapest ATF+4. Others will choose a top shelf ATF like Amsoil. The high quality ATFs will perform better in the cold, extreme heat and have a longer life.

Only thing I'm curious about is how the Amsoil multi vehicle ATF works for ATF+4 applications, where everyone else seems to make a separate fluid for ATF+4.

Suboptimally. Compromise. Isn't approved by Chrysler. Use at your own risk.

Walmart sells SuperTech ATF+4, and if they have half a brain, will use it when servicing Chrysler vehicles that call for it.

Originally Posted By: keith
Only thing I'm curious about is how the Amsoil multi vehicle ATF works for ATF+4 applications, where everyone else seems to make a separate fluid for ATF+4.

Walmart sells SuperTech ATF+4, and if they have half a brain, will use it when servicing Chrysler vehicles that call for it.

I think "suboptimal & Amsoil" is an oxymoron. So is "compromise & Amsoil".

The specs overlap and that allows Amsoil ATF to be recommended for many transmissions. But they do have more than one ATF marketed.

I will be the first to admit that I am not fond of Amsoil marketing, and I think I can get motor oil thats as good at Walmart, but not ATF or gear oil.

Amsoil unlike Walmart does not buy from suppliers in Bangladesh that run firetrap garment factories and pay $37/month.

Originally Posted By: keith

I think "suboptimal & Amsoil" is an oxymoron. So is "compromise & Amsoil".

The specs overlap and that allows Amsoil ATF to be recommended for many transmissions. But they do have more than one ATF marketed.

I will be the first to admit that I am not fond of Amsoil marketing, and I think I can get motor oil thats as good at Walmart, but not ATF or gear oil.

Amsoil unlike Walmart does not buy from suppliers in Bangladesh that run firetrap garment factories and pay $37/month.

Well, "supoptimal" would apply if the Amsoil didn't meet ATF+4 specs. However, it appears it does meet the specs, at least according to Amsoil. Amsoil didn't get where they are by offering inferior products, so I think I have enough faith in their engineering to be confident that it meets the specs they say it does. I would use it with confidence, but probably not if the vehicle was still under warranty. I can see Chrysler denying a warranty claim by saying it's not an "approved" fluid.

I have used Amsoil universal ATF in many Mopar vehicles spec'd for ATF+4 and never even had a hiccup.

Most were/are extremely high performance applications.

Some will choose the cheapest ATF+4. Others will choose a top shelf ATF like Amsoil. The high quality ATFs will perform better in the cold, extreme heat and have a longer life.

What flavor is the Amsoil koolaid?

Any ATF+4 or the Amsoil will be fine. Royal Purple MaxATF also works in ATF+4 applications and is good stuff.

I've been selling Amsoil ATF for over 12 years now. A lot of ATF. Only one complaint. UPS truck backed up over a case. Silly driver still delivered it all leaking and everything. Sheesh, what a mess. Next day Amsoil sent a new case.

Dodge mini-van transmissions do have their issues, none really solved by ATF choice.

BTW Amsoil ATF has no VII's, hence the lower VI.

Only use ATF+4. If you wanna believe Amsoil ATF is somehow universal enough to satisfy the needs of a highly friction modified transmission fluid like ATF+4 /and/ the needs of grippier fluids like Dexron III, which is impossible by the way, then enjoy.

You'd have to be a moron to be so delusional to just assume that Amsoil has tested their ATF in every single application, yet for whatever reason only recommends it as an alternative fluid and never got licensing for it. There is a reason why its not guaranteed and only "recommended".

Use universal if you want, but universal ATF is ALWAYS a jack of all trades...and master of none. And Chrysler transmissions are a cruel mistress to people trying to be sneaky about it.

Get a licensed fluid and it will be PERFECT for your application. Always.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I have a Dodge B-3500 5.9 liter extended maxi van with just under 300k miles on it. Amsoil Universal ATF has been awesome in my service van. My automotive service van is way over weight with automotive tools and equipment. I am an Automotive Tech doing mobile service who is also a factory trained Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth factory trained Mopar Technician. I also run Amsoil Universal ATF in my own 1999 Accord.

Use what you want. You have do options. Most transmissions shops don't use OEM fluids. Most transmission shops often use ATF transmission fluid converter products when "possible".

No, I am not a Amsoil sales person. I do drink the Amsoil ATF Kool-Aid myself.

I have been reading this forum post for a long time and just thought I would post for the first time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back