ATF+4 alternative for Caliber SRT-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been contemplating changing out the ATF+4 fluid in the Getrag 6 speed mt in my new Caliber SRT-4. I want something that will allow for smoother shifting and be better suited for this application. During my search I stumbled across the following link that states that a Chrysler engineer recommends Mobil 1 10w30 High Mileage for better protection. Before I do this I wanted to get some of your thoughts on this.

http://www.modernperformance.com/mopar-m...f5d884276931ce5

I don't see how a single motor oil could magicly replace a super-premium ATF like ATF+4. If you want more bite, try Dex VI, at least it's a synth ATF.

it's a manual transmission....
just about anything synthetic in there should help.
Amsoil also has a synthetic lube that is specially designed for a manual transmission. I've had a few customers (VW R32, Highline) run it in their race cars with good results.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I don't see how a single motor oil could magicly replace a super-premium ATF like ATF+4. If you want more bite, try Dex VI, at least it's a synth ATF.

If it is a truly licensed +4 ATF it has to be a syn to meet the Chrysler spec.

I just don't know what to use in a manual to replace it. Doesn't Chev also use getrag tranny's?

well

They use ATF+4 since it is one of the fluids in the factory and they dont have to carry special manual transmission fluids. It is all about reduced parts counts in the factory.

Ed Peters discussed this at a tech session back in the day on the older Shelby Turbos. I would trust him since he was the head reliability engineer and built most of the Neon road race motors which dominated their class in SCCA for a few years.

They also used ATF in the Getrag A555s, A525 and A520.

The transaxles thru 87 were filled with ATF. To make them last longer Chrysler switched to 5w-30 engine oil in 88,

ATF+4 is a group 3 fluid designed for their autos.

I would use the Amsoil MTF. Myslef I use it in Two A555's in my Shelbys and in the Wifes Getrag 280 5speed in her PT GT. All were speced for ATF but the MTF is much better and will protect the gear sets and berings much better and the fluid is designed for the correct properties for the synchos and wont attack the yellow metals.

Originally Posted By: VNTS

I would use the Amsoil MTF. Myslef I use it in Two A555's in my Shelbys and in the Wifes Getrag 280 5speed in her PT GT. All were speced for ATF but the MTF is much better and will protect the gear sets and berings much better and the fluid is designed for the correct properties for the synchos and wont attack the yellow metals.

You don't think that Amsoil MTF would be too thick do you? I was also considering Redline C+ ATF

After looking at Amsoil's line I'm thinking about their Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid. What do you guys think of it?

I've got a 5sp manual '09 Jeep Patriot with a notchy shift and a 2nd gear grind when cold. Tried RedLine C+ with some improvement, but am switching to Royal Purple Synchromax in the near future to see if that helps.

Also have a Crossfire 6sp roadster that likes Amsoil 0w-20 in the tranny.

Molakule - Any thoughts/advice on using RP Synchromax in a manual tranny where the OEM calls ATF+4?

Originally Posted By: Gilitar
Originally Posted By: VNTS

You don't think that Amsoil MTF would be too thick do you? I was also considering Redline C+ ATF

No, not at all.

Why dont you try it? My wifes getrag has a drain fitting and fill fitting on the transaxle and it holds a hair under 2 qts.
WOrst case your out 20$, a case of beer :)

How hard is it to change on the Caliber? On the PT you have to go under and the fittings face the passanger side. On my other
transaxles in my Daytona and Shadow, I have to pull the axle out on the driver side to drain and then refill via a plug in the wheel well. I change the fluids about every 20K miles.

Bump....

I'd like to get Pablo or one of the other Amsoil dealers opinion of using Amsoil Synchromesh in this application.

Both Valvoline ATF+4 and Redline C+ can be bought cheaper than the modernperformance Mopar. I'd go with VTNS's experience and the Amsoil if I were going away from the Chrysler spec'd product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back