At what point do you reject a new car?

I'm just thinking aloud here. Modern diesel engines have all sorts of unusual operating modes, including a warm up mode that is designed to heat the catalyst fast. They also burn excess fuel in the exhaust to clean the particulate filter. Manufacturers have some really crazy methods to accomplish these tasks, including unusual injection timing and sometimes restricting intake air via an actual throttle. The noises associated with this operation are unusual and do "freak out" some owners.

Can you try for a better video that captures the sound?

Just had a great conversation with Vauxhall Customer services.

Situation right now is that my car is currently awaiting approval from Vauxhall to have the engine removed for further investigation. They requested approval on Thursday afternoon.

On Friday morning I escalated the issue with Vauxhall Customer Services and explained the Corsa courtesy car I have is too small and does not meet my needs and I needed a bigger car for the weekend. My Daughters pram doesn't even fit in the boot, let alone shopping and god knows what else. In addition, we are supposed to be going on a caravan holiday next week and I'm currently without a tow car!

5pm Friday I received an email saying they couldn't get a replacement vehicle and they would try again on Monday.

Within 5 minutes of receiving that email I phoned them up to advise that it was unacceptable to find my case manager had gone home and there was nobody there to help.

I waited till midday today (Monday) and phoned Vauxhall customer services back up to explain my disappointment in their efforts but get an update on the replacement vehicle.

I was told they were waiting for Vauxhall technical to get involved to assist the dealer in finding the fault. Once they knew what the fault was they would be able to advise on a replacement courtesy vehicle.

Safe to say I blew my lid. Whether they know what the fault is or not, my car is still sat in the dealer in bits and is broken.

I'm patient, very patient. But not sure how long I'm going to keep my cool for.

Last edited:
hard to hear ona vid, extremely hard for remote diagnosis BUT...
if dealer is saying they'll "pull the engine" sompin's up. Q IS:
do U wanna stay w/this (newly designed) vehicle? Do U wanna tell them
"Keep the car" (if possible)?
I dont think we have the rig equiped this way on our side of the pond. We
do have some 3 cyl (Japanese?) but I don't think diesels. Ford'n Cheb R
known to lay n egg now'n then...

Just thought I would update this.

Finally got my car back today. The engine has been removed and put back in twice during it's stay at the local dealer.

The service manager finally put a new tech on the case, a fresh set of eyes who found a rattling heat shield after less then 5 minutes. :ROFLMAO:

You bought a Buick?? With all the other models from Japan, and Korea, why would you buy such a car with so-so reputation?

Finally got my car back today. The engine has been removed and put back in twice during it's stay at the local dealer.

The service manager finally put a new tech on the case, a fresh set of eyes who found a rattling heat shield after less then 5 minutes. :ROFLMAO:
Well, hopefully everything was put back properly. I'd give it a thorough look over to make sure all the wires are clipped back where they should be and that nothing is loose.

I would love to know what they put the fault as on the write up. I cannot see them loosing the time/ parts. Just goes to show though the basic checks were not done at the start.

Considering this old-ish thread of mine has been dug up, here's the continuation of this thread...

:ROFLMAO:

wanting'n having are certainly 2 different things.
THIS car (not a different one of identical Y/M/M) might not get it 4 U.
Wonder what would happen if U reminded them U were the purchaser...

Back