AT&T Hacked?

You know if you scream at companies loud enough, they absolutely don't need your SSN.

Somehow I worked with a guy who never gave ANYONE his SSN except work and of course .gov

Yet your insurer has your SSN
And it’s usually visible behind mediocre security, target and other retailers along with pawn shops also end up with info they shouldn’t have.

Years ago your info could only be held 90 days before disposal, should have stayed that way.

Years ago your info could only be held 90 days before disposal, should have stayed that way.
I blame the cloud. Keeps getting cheaper to add more hard drives for storage. And since data mining is now money, easy to justify.

In the bad old days, having boxes of old files around was problematic. So they'd have destroy-by dates on them, or at least internal policy would state how long files would be retained (might be part of the requirement to be ISO 9 whatever compliant). Or the building would catch fire, plenty of old files got lost that way too.

I should pay more attention when taking internal training... every year I have to be "trained" (aka watch a video) on GDPR. I don't recall ever hearing about a destruct-by date though, but a quick glance says there is a right to be forgotten. So I guess if you kept track of where you info went, you could always go back and request it to be forgotten? But that regulation doesn't apply in USA, only if doing business with countries where it applies.

I have a password that I used to use a lot that got hacked. Google knows it's hacked and warns me when I keep using it. It's used on low risk accounts like BITOG.
How do we know it is you posting this then?😜

And how do the password managers manage to not get hacked? Seems like they would be prime targets.
I guess they can be, but unless someone physically had your device the data is pretty useless. The only one with the encryption key is the user. Bitwarden can't recover your data if you lose access by forgetting your password and losing your device. They just store a bunch of encrypted data for each user.

I guess you will be saving a lot of money, because just about every company has or will have a data breach.

That is true. My quip was more in regard to AT&T as a whole regarding their past business practices, ridiculous pricing and more often than not it seems, crappy service. YMMV

Last edited:
always a good idea.. and use a password manager so you can use complex passwords such as
^P%74oYw%8@t9*zGMwNm

and only have to remember 1 password.. I recommend bitwarden(free)
you just have to remember the master password.(which I change every 6 months)
Another vote for Bitwarden. I use the free version for my personal needs, and we use the paid version at work.

And how do the password managers manage to not get hacked? Seems like they would be prime targets.
Use a hard password, change it often, use MFA.

That said we dumped LastPass at work for this reason, they had a lot of security incidents and we lost confidence in them.

I guess they can be, but unless someone physically had your device the data is pretty useless. The only one with the encryption key is the user. Bitwarden can't recover your data if you lose access by forgetting your password and losing your device. They just store a bunch of encrypted data for each user.
Ah, ok, I see now. I had been thinking of them holding the entire bit of info.

Use a hard password, change it often, use MFA.
Gack, already use MFA at work, I get tired of doing that 3 and 4 times a day (every once in a while it seems "every" system needs me to do that).

Have had issues with Fidelity Youth accounts and MFA, cannot rely on just a cell phone for text to send an MFA code. Need the option of cell number and landline number. Or a dedicated tool, like Authenticator, I guess if I don't have WiFi then I don't need access to anything.

How do we know it is you posting this then?😜

dog.jpg

One can assume everyone's SS number is for sale everywhere. Thing is there are so many of them not all of them can be used.
I currently pay for a password manager and like it A LOT, cloud based ... but I am very curious about how well Apples built in new (last year) password manager is. It's free and all my devices are Apple.

Last edited:
One can assume everyone's SS number is for sale everywhere. Thing is there are so many of them not all of them can be used.
I currently pay for a password manager and like it A LOT, cloud based ... but I am very curious about how well Apples built in new (last year) password manager is. It's free and all my devices are Apple.

The fact that Apple has put an ecosystem wall on this functionality (yet again) is a problem for me. I would pay for it to be available on other devices because it's the easiest for my wife to use. But I will never go Apple anything so that is a problem.

The fact that Apple has put an ecosystem wall on this functionality (yet again) is a problem for me. I would pay for it to be available on other devices because it's the easiest for my wife to use. But I will never go Apple anything so that is a problem.
I think there is an extension for browsers that allows you to use it on a PC, but I am not sure about on an Android phone. You would need an Apple ID because it is tied into that system. It is essentially like Bitwarden.

Keychain has been around since (Classic) Mac OS 8.

It has quietly served in the background as a system repository for all the common credentials used in daily functions, like your user login, wireless network, etc.

Users wouldn't even know it existed unless they ventured into the Utilities folder and launched the Keychain Access app.

They've fleshed it out lately, to make it act more like a full-fledged password manager, but it's still more of a basic built-in feature rather than an effort to compete with third-party password management apps and services. Even on the Mac, it works only with Safari, though it will work with Chrome and Edge on Windows.

Personally, I don't even use it for more than the basic functional credentials; I keep everything else in a separate password manager.

To couch it any other way, like Big Bad Apple holding users hostage is, to put it plainly, false.

Keychain has been around since (Classic) Mac OS 8.

It has quietly served in the background as a system repository for all the common credentials used in daily functions, like your user login, wireless network, etc.

Users wouldn't even know it existed unless they ventured into the Utilities folder and launched the Keychain Access app.

They've fleshed it out lately, to make it act more like a full-fledged password manager, but it's still more of a basic built-in feature rather than an effort to compete with third-party password management apps and services. Even on the Mac, it works only with Safari, though it will work with Chrome and Edge on Windows.

Personally, I don't even use it for more than the basic functional credentials; I keep everything else in a separate password manager.

To couch it any other way, like Big Bad Apple holding users hostage is, to put it plainly, false.
Yes, I never used it much but my use of the word “new” was from what I read that it had an upgrade.

I was disappointed as I checked out the interface. Agree basic and I was somewhat surprised it is so basic. I still may play around with it.
I do allow Apple to save passwords which is redundant but I am seeing the value in my subscription manager.

I guess it does cost money to host a cloud based manager with a robust interface like the subscription services that make managing so care free with dedicated app.
Yet I only pretty much use the password portion of the service so if I could get used to the basic Apple manager since I’m all in on Apple it might be a reason to get rid of the pay service OR start using more of the 3rd party subscription service features.

I can say I’m impressed with the reliability of the third party service, I’ve had it so long now I can’t remember how long, 6, 8, 10 years?
I have a lot of passwords and so easy to manage them with the subscription service.

I would assume Apple is just as secure as anyone else’s but think they should be able to do much better.

Agree with you last statement regarding big bad Apple. It’s amazing how we as people “eat our own” we tear apart successful AMERICAN companies in the forums, media and public officials who seek to grandstand against them. Just amazing how we tear them apart and let overseas companies, even our enemies, into every aspect of our lives.
Yet the company they attack does more for the security and privacy of the individual than any of it’s biggest competitors.
Go figure we are eating ourselves from within and glad I lived my life to the fullest when I did. Todays public is clueless and unable or too lazy to research facts and think independently of what they are “told”

Last edited:
Back