ASTM D 5483

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at a grease and they list this test. I don't see it very often and was wondering how important it is, and what constitutes a "good" score.

I checked on line and couldn't find much useful.
Thanks.

Is this useful at all, bruce? Or just more of an estimation. Do you know how the score works?
The grease says "Induction time @ 210C, min. 11.47"
dunno.gif

In an application where you can't replentish the grease package on a regular basis, the oxidation property tests can help you decide if a greases add pack could have a longer life than another.

Oxidation tests are very useful with oils, and can effectively help predict effective life of the fluids.
With greases, I think normal replentishing procedures are a better method of keeping the add pack healthy.

IMO, unless you can only get to that bearing once or twice a year, or have a severe service application, the oxidation tests aren't near as important as other properties.

Quote:

Is this useful at all, bruce? Or just more of an estimation. Do you know how the score works?
The grease says "Induction time @ 210C, min. 11.47"
dunno.gif

Sorry I do not know this test but there are variations with a lot of the dyamic tests kinda depending on what test equipment is avalible at what lab lot of tests are "modified" for what is avalible the results tho should still show good vs bad. How the variuos Oxidation tests corrolate to each other is a good question but if same test is used to compare various oils then that is valid too.

bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back