Assume the dipstick is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a filter change, the '05-'08 Mustang GT takes about 6.5 quarts to reach the full mark on the dipstick. This is true on mine and it is repeated by many owners on various Mustang forums. You don't want to fill it above the top hole on the dipstick though.

Originally Posted By: Bookmaker
With a filter change, the '05-'08 Mustang GT takes about 6.5 quarts to reach the full mark on the dipstick. This is true on mine and it is repeated by many owners on various Mustang forums. You don't want to fill it above the top hole on the dipstick though.

While working in the dealership I have noted this over and over. With a filter change the spec'd oil change volume will generally leave it about 1/3 to 1/2 on the dipstick.

We always charged for 6 and gave 6.5 quarts.

Any idea why Ford wouldn't give a more precise amount?

Also, yes I am sure I put in 6 quarts, I usually use the actual quart bottles, rarely the gallon or 5 quart jugs. And I have waited over an hour then checked the level and it is still way to low for my liking. And I can't check it in the AM because I live on a hill.

Quote:
Any idea why Ford wouldn't give a more precise amount?

Because the engine division bean counters didn't care about the sump capacity spec's dictated by the engine designers. They just managed to buy cheaper dipsticks that had + ZERO and - up to 1/2 quart as a tolerance for length. They saved millions on being that liberal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back