Asphalt Driveway Sealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife wants to seal our house's asphalt driveway. The old sealer is about worn out, and there are some small cracks that likely should be tended to (Pli-stix and a torch for those, fun!). I've looked up this stuff, and it's driving me bonkers. Some folks say to use coal-tar based stuff, while others say to stay away from the coal-tar stuff. Naturally, there are several "grades" of this stuff at the local box and other hardware stores with differing warranties to confuse my buying choices even further.

What has been the experience of others with this black goop?

My preference is the arcrylic based stuff. I don't really like the tar based stuff as it is a to tougher to stir and mix in the bucket.

As with most things, you get what you oay for when it comes to driveway sealers. The more you pay, the better stuff you get. And I have sealed my driveway enough times to know that when they say rated for 2 years, you will get 2 years before it looks dingy again for another redcoats. I usually go for the 6 year stuff.

Make sure you get a good mixing paddle and a heavy duty drill (motar mixer).

The cost of the product is insignificant compared to your time. There is sweeping or blowing all the grit off the drive. Sealing the cracks with a hot rubber based product. Dealing with oil spots.

I would only buy something that is listed as "ez-stir". I would typically buy medium priced product that was ez-stir.

You need at least 24 hours of above 50 degrees. I would wait a few weeks if you are in upstate NY.

Get a few chip brushes to paint the stuff on where it meets a garage or sidewalk. Plan on tossing the shoes out.

My SIL does it for a business in CT. He has big trucks and a 10K gallon tank at his shop.

The gypsies (only an 800 number on the truck) who do this thin the stuff with water or diesel or kero. Looks good going on, but either peels, or does not last or never dries and you track the stuff into your house. But they are then in the next town.

The problem with the coal based tar stuff is it ruins certain vinyl flooring. The oils/chemicals in the tar are carried in on your shoes and it can and does ruin certain floors, especially the lighter colors. The Acrylic finish on the other hand has no impact on your floor.

Last time I did it myself, I used some no-stir gel product. It applied easily and the following winter my Toro snowblower stripped it off. Never happened with the coal tar stuff before or after (paid somebody last time).

Originally Posted By: Touring5
Last time I did it myself, I used some no-stir gel product. It applied easily and the following winter my Toro snowblower stripped it off. Never happened with the coal tar stuff before or after (paid somebody last time).

A few decades of experience in homeownership w/ asphalt driveways and that's been my experience. Not necessarily with a snowblower peeling it off, but anything I've tried that's not "coal tar" based, cracks and peels. The old school tar based stuff just wears off over time. It just seems to bond better.

I don't seal'em myself anymore. The last few times I've had it done, I couldn't do it myself for the price I paid. Sure, the stuff they bring could be cut pretty thin, but it lasts just the same as store bought. 2yrs or so in my climate.

Crack sealing is another ordeal entirely. You can cover/fill it with a flexible product, but it's always going to be movement point.

Last edited:
Just a note that from a water quality standpoint, the Coal Tar based products are bad news. Bad enough that Minnesota actually banned the sale and use of Coal Tar sealers effective as of 2014. The primary issue we were finding is they accumulated in our stormwater ponds (which I will grant they were doing their job in accumulating the stuff). The high accumulations of PAH's found in pond sediment was traced back and nearly 70% of it came from coal tar driveway dealers. The presence of the PAH's turned pond sediment to a hazardous material requiring landfill disposal - not cheap.

I got tired of sealing my bituminous driveway, and replaced it with concrete, and haven't looked back. At the time I replaced it, concrete was only about 30% more in cost. Granted, that is a lot of sealings, but I don't miss it.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
What I'm hearing is be prepared to spend a lot and have to re-do it pretty soon.

Re-do as in dig the whole driveway out and start over? I know in the Buffalo area, the cost difference between concrete and asphalt is pretty small for your average driveway.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: sciphi
What I'm hearing is be prepared to spend a lot and have to re-do it pretty soon.

Re-do as in dig the whole driveway out and start over? I know in the Buffalo area, the cost difference between concrete and asphalt is pretty small for your average driveway.

Nah, the driveway is in pretty good shape for the most part. It does need some TLC, however. Fill in some cracks and re-seal.

What I meant was spending a bit on sealer, but not getting anywhere near the claimed lifespan on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back