thinking of re-coating my asphalt driveway

my asphalt driveway is sort of worn down so that the gravel sits higher then the tar. when I'm sweeping or using the leaf blower the odd piece of gravel comes out.

i was wondering if a driveway sealer would help or if its just for looks.

black knight is a popular brand in my area. just wondering if anyone has experience with the whole thing.

Your asphalt driveway sounds more like a oil mat surface the way you describe it. A sealer will not fix it if it is at the stage you describe.

I think a sealer can extend the life of the asphalt. It will not make it new, but will look better and last longer. You will need to sweep it clean of all dirt/sand/grit.

The gypsy scammers use Gilsonite and thin it down with diesel fuel. It looks super shinny when it dries.

Coal tar is the best as far a durability goes but as it wears over the years the dust is hazardous. Its banned in many states.

Asphalt emulsion is what is the best all around with respect to durability and environmentally friendly.

The cracks needs to be filled with hot rubber. No crack filler you pour from a container works.

Neyra Force is one of the best available. But probably only to pros.

My son-in-law is in the pavement maintenance business and does a lot of sealing these days. He has a 10,000 tank of sealer at his shop. Too far away to do my drive in Delaware.

thanks for the replies. I'm probably describing it wrong it sort of looks like a side street or any other ashfult areas that don't see repaving too often. I'm in Canada so i don't think i can buy the good stuff. I'll try and figure out whats in the black knight products.

Mainly you want it sealed so the water doesent get under it and heave/break it up. An air compressor to blast any cracks clean of dirt then fill with the rubberized sealer. I just bought the buckets from HD and it worked OK. The better products do restore some of the oils into the surface to delay the inevitable breakup.

I dealt with this once for an HOA. Ended up going for asphalt repair, although there was a recommendation for maybe some concrete pads where the garbage trucks would typically stop. Some of the original asphalt was good enough to just apply sealcoat, but some of it needed to be repaired. But with a fresh layer of asphalt they needed to wait a month before applying the sealant.

If it's down to the aggregate popping out then you're probably going to need to repave. Our problem was that there were chunks of asphalt that were loose.

Back