ASL -> PP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau

Hey Guys,

My RDX uses PP so I was thinking of switching over to PP for my Prelude too. I only do 9000KM (about 6000 miles) oci on the prelude but it is winter driven as well.

Reason behind the switch is ASL is about 100 bucks CDN where PP for 4.4L jug is about 22 bucks cdn , ASL I get about 12 L (bit less actually) and with PP for the same price I get 22L and I can feed both cars :)

Only concerns is currently with ASL my prelude eats about 0.5L-1L every 9k (known oil consumer but no blue smoke!) so I was wondering if PP will negatively affect the consumption???

PP will be much cheaper than ASL in general, and is still a great oil. Consumption should be similar, but you won't know 'till you try....

Would be a fine switch...
thumbsup2.gif
You could go 9K KM on the PP no problem. I have done 10K runs and the UOA's are fine.

You might see a slight increase in consumption, because I know the ASL is really good at resisting this, but then again I have never used PP in a consuming situation so I'm not sure how it will stand up.

$100 is for 12 litres of ASL Oil? Is that with the preferred membership? I haven't purchase any in a while as I have quite the reserve.
45.gif

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: PT1
$100 vs $22...tough decision.
smirk2.gif

Wait a minute here. That's not right at all. Please.

$22 = 4.4 liters.
$100 = 12 liters.

So really it's $5 L vs. $8L

Let's make this apples vs. apples. We are comparing a PAO vs. a Group III oil. We all know PAO's cost more.

NOW will PP work great for the OP? Yes, PP should not be any problem with that short interval.

Also, to make the comparison fair. Compare PP to XLF at $6.85 L.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Pablo, thanks I was having a tough time figuring out how much of what he was getting for what price.

thumbsup2.gif

PP 4.4L is 21.88+0.20 cent Environmental fee? about 22.08 CDN.
ASL is 945ML ( I believe) and a box of 12 is about 103 USD! (non preferred price, if anyone knows the Canadian preferred customer price please do post but I vaguely remember paying about 96 bucks cdn my last purchase which was last year)

I guess I just can't push my self to do the 15k miles ASL is rated for especially since I don't do a UOA.

I'm going to switch over anyhow, picked up 5 4.4L cans today of PP at Walmart to add to my collection.

Please report back on consumption and general impressions if you do switch. How many thousand miles on your engine? The engine from my 98 SH is sitting in the garage waiting to be rebuilt. PP is at the top of the list for when it's running again.

asl.jpg

Just Checked...

$109.95 for 3x 3.78 Litre Jugs (PC price) + Tax
$111.00 for 12 946ml Bottles (PC price) + Tax

Plus Shipping of approx $12 CDN

It's way more expensive than PP, but if you work it out over an extended OCI which these oils can do very easily it's probably cheaper and less headache from not having to change your oil that often. But you don't do enough miles to warrant it IMO.

So PP is a good choice for you!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Please report back on consumption and general impressions if you do switch. How many thousand miles on your engine? The engine from my 98 SH is sitting in the garage waiting to be rebuilt. PP is at the top of the list for when it's running again.

About 118,000 Miles on my motor, no issues at all (knocks on wood). I kick my self every day for buying an auto tragic but other then that the car has been very good to me and like any honda it is happy to take me to redline
wink.gif
(I don't redline it every day but I do like to beat on the car once in a while)

Originally Posted By: Mau
... don't redline it every day but I do like to beat on the car once in a while)

Do you where white undershirts, fat gold chains and were refered to anger management classes? (Aka wife beater)

LOL.gif

I have had zero consumption issues with Honda engines using Mobil 1 5w30. But this was pre TomNJ testing the EP and it being mainly Group III oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back