ARX in your manual tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Dyoel - You asked, and I answered.
You should have told us previously that you were unchangeable and saved us some time.

I asked for people who had tried it and you tried to talk me out of it. It wasnt the answer I was looking for and you wasted my time instead.
21.gif

Quote:
I'm gonna back mechtech2 here. You're asking for folks opinions on using a product primarily heralded as a combustion engine cure-in-a-bottle in a manual trans. It's an unusual question.

I'd put a good MT fluid in there and not dump cleaners into a unit that likely doesn't need cleaning.

I agree. I would be concerned about the change in friction modification. Same with Moly and other additives, they will alter the built-in friction modification of the fluid and interfere with it.

No need for a cleaner unless the fluid was run too long
and oxidized or moisture entrained, but then the tranny would probably would need a rebuild anyway.

Keep good clean fluid in there and it should last a long time. Fluid changes are cheaper than rebuilds. One reason I recommend changing MT fluids every 30k to 50k or sooner, is because of shifter boots. They can tear near the base (where you can't see it) or have a gasket tear and allow silicon (dust and dirt) to get into an MT. Changing it dumps the abrasives.

ARX is a good cleaner for engine ring packs, AT's and PS, but I see no need for it in a manual tranny.

What transmissions let dirt in thru the shifter boot?
The boot is to seal the cabin.
Most shifters bolt directly to the tranny and there's not much room for dirt to squeeze past the pivot or base/tower.
Some fwd trannies have boots on the shift rods but those rods are sealed or they'd be leaking into the boots........

My Mazda's tranny can be filled by the top. And, if you overfill it or have 'seal' issues, gear oil will quickly spit up and destroy the pretty leather shift boot.

Anything with a boot or seal anywhere in the design can leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back