ARX and engine check light

Status
Not open for further replies.
96 camry with 150K
I mentioned before that the engine check light is on after 600mil into ARX cleaning phase. It is now 1100mil and the the light still on. I went to AZ last week for diagnostic and the code says it is the catalytic convert problem. I am thinking this could be coincidence since ARX is in the engine oil, it should not affect exhaust. Or may be it could??
Any members encounter similar thing?
Thanks!

I would think you would have to be consuming lots of oil for auto-rx to effect the cat. I was burning 1 quart every 500 miles when I started my auto-rx treatment and it caused no lights to come on. May want to email Frank to see if he has seen this before on your specific model car. Probably just coincidence.

my camry is not consuming any oil nor leak.
I checked my oil level twice a week during cleaning phase.

servantwong your cleaning internal sensors and obviously removing contaminants. Light will go out after rinse and computer resets itself for clean engine. Nothing to be concerned about.

This is curious and interesting to me because my wifes '96 Camry with 121K is about 1250 miles into the first A-RX treatment, and we have had no CEL yet.

Not to challenge Frank at all, but what if there really is a cat problem that is un-related to the A-RX? Isn't it possible that this Cat is finally just used up?

Not knowing what I'm talking about I just wanted to throw this out to see what you think about this because I can't think of how cleaning internal sensors would cause a Cat warning and would like to know if this is possible.

Best Regards,

John

Cat probably went out on its own. My sister's Protege got a CEL and checked out to be "CAT BELOW EFFICIENCY THRESHOLD" at 101K. CarMax replaced it under warranty (was a certified used car then). On that car there is a sniffer before and one after the cat to detect the delta. They do wear out I was told.

If it's a Toyota, the CEL can take a up to a couple weeks to go out after the problem is corrected unless reset. You can reset manually by disconnecting the battery for 10 or more min.

Yep. CEL is now off @1100mil cleaning phase and hopefully it stays off becuse my inspection is due next month. Else, I will have to do what goodvibes suggested to see if it meet the inspection.

at so many miles, it could very well be the o2 sensors going bad.

If auto-rx got in there, it would burn right up. There are no cat-damaging compounds in auto-rx.

I doubt that youre cleaning internal sensors, and I doubt that even if you were, cleaning, say an oil temp or pressure sensor, that it would have any effect on the cat.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back