Artillary Fungus

A good friend of mine had the black/brown dots all over his car. It was Artillary fungus which I had never heard of. Extremely hard to remove, I used a clay bar but very tedious and time consuming. Any easier solution to this as his other car is affected worse.

Some coastal towns in California had a similar problem in the early 1980's. Turned out to be caused by anchoves. Damaged car paint.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to remove the spots. We have the fungus here as well (it’s not anchovies) and picking the spots off one-by-one is about the best I’ve found. The remaining residue can then be removed.

I don’t have mulch near our cars but this is similar to what it looks like on our house. A car is the same.

7D02B997-0C22-4505-9FFC-0C890EFCB889.jpeg

I occasionally see dots like that on our cars. Always wondered what they were.

Getting them wet and knocking them off with a lubricsted fingernail has worked for me… but I only ever see a few.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to remove the spots. We have the fungus here as well (it’s not anchovies) and picking the spots off one-by-one is about the best I’ve found. The remaining residue can then be removed.
I wonder if yearly spraying with "Wet & Forget" would stop it in the first place or after it takes hold.

All you need is a small orchard sprayer and it is very easy to spray the whole house and you do not wash it off.

I did my neighbors garage which had nothing done to it for 25 years and had everything on it known to man. In a few months it looked like new. No power spraying either.

Talking houses- garages only. Not cars lol

magic eraser
Seriously?

You're recommending he use the equivalent of 3000 grit sandpaper in his paint. GTFO with that.

I use a plastic razor blade and detail spray to remove the bump. Then if they're newish a clay bar to remove the stain.

If that doesn't work it's time to polish them off.

Artillery fungus thrives in rotting wood/bark and mulch. It disperses spores with great speed several feet into the air, hence its name.

Ultimate solution..lose the mulch or bury it under rocks. Difficult to repair the damage as far as I know. Depends on your ocd level. My son-in-laws house has quite a bit of it. Sticks to windows too.

in that case, i´d experiment with diluted alcohol.
that one might get into that sucker, and kill it from inside. etanol/ipa should not damage paint or plastic.
then it can help with surface cleaning and degreasing of remains. + disinfect

Some tips I got from researching.

Get rid of the mulch if possible.

White vinegar diluted 1:10 in warm water.

Plastic razor blades.

Attack it quick. The longer it’s on the surface the harder the removal. Perhaps a vinegar mix as mentioned above in a spray bottle for frequent cleaning.

Back