Army Unable to Select Replacement Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really the U.S. Army's fault that has caused this mess. It's the bureaucracy the procurement process the government put in place. Most of the guys actually able to make decisions (and have the utmost knowledge) don't even have a say until it's too late.

My opinion is just keep the 9mm Beretta. It's a highly reliable, tested, and capacity endowed weapon. Special Forces guys can always choose other options anyway.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Olas
Civilised, adult conversation Is more powerful than any sidearm.

Ah yes...and that worked out so very well for Neville Chamberlain...

Were you, perhaps, thinking of the Munich Accord as the archetype for civilized adult conversation stopping a threat to the world?

Perhaps the British Army should relinquish their sidearms and adopt your suggestion.

Actually, it's too late, I've seen the result of your defense cuts...for all intents and purposes, language is the only option your Army, the Royal Navy, and the Royal Air Force have left...

By the time the EU supporters are finished there will be nothing left to defend anyway.

It is horribly stupid thoughts such as this one that make me one sad history professor. Clearly you never paid attention in school or your teacher was negligent in their duties.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I think they should choose the Ruger American pistol

I think if you see an American pistol company get the contract it would likely be S&W with their M&P series as it has a longer track record of service and a history of fulfilling bigger contracts.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I think they should choose the Ruger American pistol

I think if you see an American pistol company get the contract it would likely be S&W with their M&P series as it has a longer track record of service and a history of fulfilling bigger contracts.

I'll bet on Glock 19...Made in the U.S. Wait..that makes too much sense. S&W would be fine.It won't be Ruger. But really..what do I know

I'm sure if we just ask nicely, ISIS will stop and see the error of their ways.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I'm sure if we just ask nicely, ISIS will stop and see the error of their ways.

It stops about 16-17 years from now, after Armageddon concludes.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
What's wrong with the Five-seveN for army use?

It has the penetration power against body armor, but it relies on tumbling to create a proper wound, which means the longer the range, the less effective it will be as it loses velocity quickly. The trend in handgun ammo is not in favor of the small caliber high velocity concept. The Ruskies when ditching the Makarov looked hard at a return to something like the old 7.62 Tokarev for armor penetration, but went with their ultra hot version of 9mm instead.

Also, I am willing to bet the FN pistol would not be able to pass the durability and reliability tests that it would be subject to in a pistol competition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

Were you, perhaps, thinking of the Munich Accord as the archetype for civilized adult conversation stopping a threat to the world?

Perhaps the British Army should relinquish their sidearms and adopt your suggestion.

Actually, it's too late, I've seen the result of your defense cuts...for all intents and purposes, language is the only option your Army, the Royal Navy, and the Royal Air Force have left...

By the time the EU supporters are finished there will be nothing left to defend anyway.
I would say s has already hit the fan. The fall into the new world is starting to show.

They should require the administrator that makes the final selection be required to identify the handgun and asked to load it and fire it at a target without any help from others. At least this level of familiarity with handguns should be required for such an important task. And this demonstration should be required even if it interferes with a golf tee time.

Beretta already has a great platform in the PX4 Storm...they need to duplicate the machinery and production techniques that exist in Italy and start making the PX4 in U.S.; Ruger also has a platform in 9mm as the 9E...they would just need to alter the SR45 a bit and make a 45E variant; their American pistol lineup is excellent but hasn't been around like their SR lineup (to include the 9E); Smith & Wesson has a great candidate in the M&P lineup which has a great track record;

I'm not a huge Glock or Sig fan yet they both have viable models and produce pistols on U.S. soil...can't count them out of the running; FN Herstal also has a strong candidate with the FNS/FNX lineup and already have military contracts for small arms production...a huge advantage when dealing with current military acquisition red tape!

in the meantime I could see an 'extension' contract to Beretta for M9 replacement parts to arsenal refurbish the existing M9's in the inventory; something has to be done soon before current M9's exceed their useful life!

Last edited:

Or be like the French and surrender to all who trespass.

Smoky

For a pistol, stick to 9mm. Long arms or head shots deal with body armor. Other than not being made in the USA, what is wrong with the CZ SP-01 Shadow? I really enjoy shooting mine.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
What's wrong with the Five-seveN for army use?

It has the penetration power against body armor, but it relies on tumbling to create a proper wound, which means the longer the range, the less effective it will be as it loses velocity quickly. The trend in handgun ammo is not in favor of the small caliber high velocity concept. The Ruskies when ditching the Makarov looked hard at a return to something like the old 7.62 Tokarev for armor penetration, but went with their ultra hot version of 9mm instead.

Also, I am willing to bet the FN pistol would not be able to pass the durability and reliability tests that it would be subject to in a pistol competition.

I'd be surprised if it passed testing too. Also I believe the have a relatively low service life. Not sure how they maintain the m9 but I've heard of m9 frames reaching 60k+ rounds and still being in spec. The real fix would be selecting an enhanced lethality round.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Itonlysmokesalit
The real fix would be selecting an enhanced lethality round.

The role and need for U.S. "boots on the ground" is dwindling quickly. Except for special forces..the value of a (U.S) life is becoming un affordable. Well over 60% of ground troops need and will need medical/ psyco treatment. Many of this percentage will get on Disability.

It seems that the future need/use for pistols is another money pit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back