Arizona passes motorcycle lane filtering law

Lane splitting imo is just a free for all for reckless driving. Makes as much sense to me as the winners you see flying down the shoulder on the highway passing people then suddenly merging back in because they're impatient. Maybe marked lanes should just go away all together and have everyone driving willy nilly all over the asphalt with no rhyme or reason.

Lane splitting and lane filtering are 2 different things.

Lane splitting is when motorcycles go between moving vehicles (there are rules set for it as for max speed of traffic and max speed of motorcyclist).
Lane filtering is when motorcycles can move between stopped vehicles at a stop light.

I there are several states that lane filtering has recently been made legal, with several states having attempts at it.
I think California is the only one allowing lane splitting.

It is safer for motorcyclists to be between vehicles instead of behind them from the perspective of being hit from behind.
It can reduce traffic somewhat, how much I don't know. If more people rode bikes, there would be less traffic overall.
Biggest problem (and has already been mentioned in here) is people thinking it is unfair that they get to "cut" in line. There would be an increase in road rage I am sure.

I ride a lot, but have never had a desire to lane filter or lane split. Just too many stupid people out there.
Lane filtering, I might do if made legal after a few years giving people time to adjust to it (depending on the bike I am riding, on my Goldwing, no way, on my Nighthawk, sure). Another problem I have with filtering is the expectation is that motorcycles can accelerate faster and can get ahead of the traffic, but when a light turns green, I tend to let other vehicles go first to act as a blocker for cross-traffic that may not see the bike.
Lane filtering, probably not ever even if legal, you just have too many variables with other vehicles moving at the same time.

Truth is, lane filtering is used in most of the rest of the world with no issues, mainly because people are used to it.

California has allowed lane splitting forever. At a light the bikes cruise off much faster than a car. If the traffic starts moving same thing.
This. If I'm the front car & a bike is next to me, I wait until they ride ahead. That's 1, maybe 2 seconds at most of "waiting." I'll inch over while on the freeway if I see a bike coming from behind & splitting lanes. Many other drivers do too

You're a long time rider. In your opinion will lane filtering relieve traffic congestion to any noticeable amount or be safer than sitting in your place in line? Opinion valued and respected. Interestingly when this came up a few years ago and now that it's passed there was no data presented saying 5% fewer stopped motorcycle accidents or 15 seconds less wait time or whatever.

Like blupupher pointed out above, lane splitting and lane filtering are 2 different things. Lane splitting would be splitting lanes while everyone is in motion and lane filtering would be splitting lanes between stopped cars to get to the front of the stopped line at the stop light.

I pretty much agree with everything he said on the subject, and personally I would not lane split even if it was legal (it's not legal in WA state). The only exception might be if traffic was at a complete stand-still or crawling for miles with a big back-up on the freeway due to an accident ahead or similar, just so the bike wouldn't over heat. Even a lot of water cooled sport bikes will eventually overheat if just sitting and idling for 10+ minutes. Their cooling systems are maily designed for when the bike is moving, and not very effective (even with radiator fans running) if sitting still in hot weather not moving.

I might lane filter if it was legal depending on a few situations, like if I didn't like the vehicles around me for some reason (a road rager for instance) or felt traffic was coming up on my while too fast while stopped. One bike I ride (Yamaha XSR900) is small enough to lane split with good room. I probably wouldn't do it on a larger bike.

As far as relieving traffic congestion ... I'd say lane splitting on the highway (as in CA only) might help relieve traffic a bit more compared to lane filtering at the stop light. A bike still takes a pretty big space if sitting behind a car, so it there were 100s of bikes on a major freeway it might help the traffic a little bit, but it's not going to be a huge noticeable difference. I'd bet a large percentage of riders in CA probably choose not to lane split because of the increased risk.

If lane filtering is legal, who's at fault in some impatient idiot gets too close and knocks off someones side view mirror, gets too close to a car and scrapes the side of it, or gets run over by someone who's legally switching from a proper lane to another proper lane? Imo the whole thing opens up a huge gate for accidents and unnecessary lawsuits. I just feel makes lanes make logistic sense to maintain properly and safely flowing traffic. No need to re-invent the wheel. I would never lane filter on a motorcycle. Anyone doing it has the odds stacked up against them. It's just a disaster waiting to happen.

If lane filtering is legal, who's at fault in some impatient idiot gets too close and knocks off someones side view mirror, gets too close to a car and scrapes the side of it, or gets run over by someone who's legally switching from a proper lane to another proper lane? Imo the whole thing opens up a huge gate for accidents and unnecessary lawsuits. I just feel makes lanes make logistic sense to maintain properly and safely flowing traffic. No need to re-invent the wheel. I would never lane filter on a motorcycle. Anyone doing it has the odds stacked up against them. It's just a disaster waiting to happen.
My common sense tells me that in that scenario if some motorcycle was lane splitting or lane filtering and they hit the side of your car that it would still be their fault even though there doing something that they’re legally allowed to do but, they’re not allowed to hit anybody’s car in the process.

If lane filtering is legal, who's at fault in some impatient idiot gets too close and knocks off someones side view mirror, gets too close to a car and scrapes the side of it, or gets run over by someone who's legally switching from a proper lane to another proper lane?
Obviously, if a motorcycle was lane filtering or splitting and hit another vehicle then the motorcyclist would be responsible.

But, if a car was trying to switch lanes when a motorcycle was lane splitting it very well could be (per the laws) be the car's fault for switching lanes and not giving the motorcycle the right of way (ie, cutting off the motorcycle). No different than if a car switches lanes on a multi-lane highway and cuts off (doesn't yield) to the vehicle with the right of way. People switching lanes have the responsibility to yield right of way and make the lane switch safely, regardless of the vehicle being driven.

Obviously, if a motorcycle was lane filtering or splitting and hit another vehicle then the motorcyclist would be responsible.

But, if a car was trying to switch lanes when a motorcycle was lane splitting it very well could be (per the laws) be the car's fault for switching lanes and not giving the motorcycle the right of way (ie, cutting off the motorcycle). No different than if a car switches lanes on a multi-lane highway and cuts off (doesn't yield) to the vehicle with the right of way. People switching lanes have the responsibility to yield right of way and make the lane switch safely, regardless of the vehicle being driven.
Maybe Texas is different, but here you can be cited for failing to maintain your lane. This is why lane splitting in all logistical sense is failing to maintain their lane.

Maybe Texas is different, but here you can be cited for failing to maintain your lane. This is why lane splitting in all logistical sense is failing to maintain their lane.

Also many states have a law that "unlawful speed forfeits right of way" or something to that effect, so if a motorcycle is lane splitting and exceeding the speed limit while doing so and gets into an accident, that law might make it at least partly the motorcycle rider's fault.

We are talking about where lane splitting and lane filtering are legal. It is not legal in Texas. Of course, pretty much any state says you must "maintain your lane". If someone makes a lane switch and cuts off another vehicle they are not yielding when they should be, and therefore braking the law.

Note this part in the article link:
"If you were injured in an accident while lane splitting, the driver at fault could still be liable for your injuries. For example, if you were lane splitting, although it is illegal, and a car abruptly changes lanes and collides with you, they would still be held liable for your injuries--even if you were lane splitting illegally. You will still face penalties for breaking the law, but the other driver would also hold liability for acting negligently and switching lanes without checking their surroundings."

My point was, in a state where lane splitting is legal, there may be a similar law there that says if you make a lane change and cut-off a motorcycle that it legally lane splitting, then the car is at fault - they can even be at fault like in Texas if they cut off an lane splitter that is breaking the law. People that live in states where motorcycle lane filtering and splitting is legal need to know the rules and laws, and drive according. And when it boils down totally, anyone making a lane change no matter what the circumstances is responsible for making a safe lane change, regardless of the law as shown in the Texas lane splitting link above.

Last edited:
Also, to add ... I highly doubt most motorcycle lane splitters are still going to be riding between lanes when there is plenty of open lane space to the left or right of them, which would be necessary for a car to safely switch lanes. Only scenario I could see is if there are small random open spaces in adjacent lanes, and the motorcyclist therefore just stays between lanes as he moves through the slow traffic.

So lets say a motorcyclist was lane splitting and a car driver saw them coming up on them between the lanes and purposely (or even not purposely) swerved over to cut them off and caused a crash, then the car driver is legally responsible because they didn't yield.

The bottom line, even regardless of laws in some circumstances, if for someone driving a vehicle to not collide with other vehicles. The driver is ultimately responsible for how they navigate their vehicle.

Last edited:
We are talking about where lane splitting and lane filtering are legal. It is not legal in Texas. Of course, pretty much any state says you must "maintain your lane". If someone makes a lane switch and cuts off another vehicle they are not yielding when they should be, and therefore braking the law.

Note this part in the article link:
"If you were injured in an accident while lane splitting, the driver at fault could still be liable for your injuries. For example, if you were lane splitting, although it is illegal, and a car abruptly changes lanes and collides with you, they would still be held liable for your injuries--even if you were lane splitting illegally. You will still face penalties for breaking the law, but the other driver would also hold liability for acting negligently and switching lanes without checking their surroundings."

My point was, in a state where lane splitting is legal, there may be a similar law there that says if you make a lane change and cut-off a motorcycle that it legally lane splitting, then the car is at fault - they can even be at fault like in Texas if they cut off an lane splitter that is breaking the law. People that live in states where motorcycle lane filtering and splitting is legal need to know the rules and laws, and drive according. And when it boils down totally, anyone making a lane change no matter what the circumstances is responsible for making a safe lane change, regardless of the law as shown in the Texas lane splitting link above.
That’s a bunch of crap and I’m appalled to hear that if somebody is already doing something illegal and some car hits them because they didn’t see them, the driver of that car could be liable for it but of course, that’s not how this country operates anymore where no matter what happens, they’re always going to try to find the other person at fault also.

That’s a bunch of crap and I’m appalled to hear that if somebody is already doing something illegal and some car hits them because they didn’t see them, the driver of that car could be liable for it but of course, that’s not how this country operates anymore where no matter what happens, they’re always going to try to find the other person at fault also.
Well, according to that thread about Texas lane splitting, it's pretty clear that even if someone was splitting lanes illegally and a car cut them off they could still be responsible for the accident - at least in Texas. Guess the bottom line is, the driver of any vehicles is ultimately responsible for driving it. Regardless if someone is lane splitting legally or illegally, the car driver must ensure nobody is around their vehicle in order to make a safe lane change. That's what rear view mirrors and the ability of a human's head to turn and look around are for. The bottom line is, pay attention when switching lanes. If someone is coming up from behind regardless on what that vehicle is, you should be able to see them regardless if they are totally in their lane or not.

Last edited:
Info about lane splitting in WA, where it's illegal. Again, depending on the circumstances, a car driver could be held responsible for an accident even if the motorcyclist is illegally lane splitting.

Bottom line ... drive carefully and look out for everthing going on around you. Pretty basic stuff.

1648500000699.png

The law allowing filtering amends the law about maintaining your lane. There are specific situations for who, when and how it is allowed to be done. If you do it outside those situations, you are breaking the law.
Just seems stupid. What if a hateful clown sees you coming and opens his door at the last second?
Then he gets charged with assault and/or battery, and gets to pay any medical bills he causes, as well as paying for damages to the bike, as well as civil damages.
You are still screwed as a rider though depending on your speed.
Again, one of the reasons I would not do it (at least initially).

Last edited:
This only works if the motorcycle(s) are willing to blast off the line as soon as the light turns green to get back in lane in front of the first car. Which as someone pointed out is not something a careful biker would do since there is a high risk of getting hit by a red light runner.

In 90 days motorcycles will be able to ride between lanes of stopped traffic to get to the front of the line. It only allows it on roadways with a posted speed limit of 45 or less and 2 or more lanes travelling in the same direction and at speeds of 15 or less. The reason given is because bikes are less visible when sitting stopped in a line of traffic and are safer if they go to the front.

Sounds good but 2 questions I have is where do the bikes go when they get to the front of the lines at a red light? It would seem now there are possibly bikes stopped between lines of vehicles and now they all have to start out and get into 2 lanes again. Also, what happens when bikes are moving up between stopped traffic and the light turns green and traffic starts moving and the bikes are between them. I haven't owned/ridden a street bike in a long time but these situations don't seem much safer than sitting stopped in a lane waiting to go. I know there are some riders here maybe they can explain how it works out for the better.

When looking for a link to the new law I saw a link with a different spin on it, mainly talking about how hot it is sitting still here in Arizona and it's better to keep moving. Hope this works for the best for riders.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/arizona-passes-lane-filtering-law/ar-AAVu2oB

Any lane filtering law necessitates the cooperation of BOTH motorcycle and car drivers to work safely. Car drivers need to get used to expecting bikes to come up beside them (not a normal "expected" situation) and bikes need to understand that cars will not be expecting this, regardless of whether it's now "legal". Arizona's law here as you describe it is sensible with its restrictions, especially speed. If traffic starts moving while bikes are splitting the lane then the cars have to be prepared to allow merging back into the lane. Likewise at the front of the line when filtering bikes arrive - there is room for a bike to stop and merge in front when the light changes. And motorcycles need to be respectful of this, and not abuse the law by zipping in and out of line at will.

Having said this, I have been riding motorcycles for some 35 years now. However, I am not in the U.S. and lane splitting has never been legal where I ride. I have, however, toured with my bike in the U.S. on many occasions, including California. I have never and would NEVER lane split, it's just too dangerous because no one follows safe practice (both bikes and cars). As a car driver, when I was visiting California, freeway driving was so nerve wracking because of the motorcycles indiscriminently wizzing by at all speeds (usually HIGH speed!) under all conditions. I found that if I drove with my windows down I could at least hear them coming..... (not joking).

In California with their massive traffic jams, I totally see the basis of the Lane FILTERING law in a situation of gridlock on the freeways. Traffic is stopped, backed up, and the motorcycle can slowly filter through - and I personally would have no issue doing this on my bike to get to the nearest exit ramp and get OFF the Freeway. I don't know the wording of the actual law in California so I'm unsure of the proper rules for lane filtering. Notwithstanding, from the bikes I witnessed when I was there, and from what I see posted on YouTube (by motorcyclists themselves) is bikes splitting lanes at full highway speed with traffic moving at 80mph (whenever it actually does that in California!). IMO that's just crazy for both bikes and cars and I don't understand the benefit of that at all. That's just traffic Anarchy. You're just asking for an accident. How can a car driver anticipate that when trying to change lanes? And the bikes are actually travelling WAY faster than that while splitting lanes. Just plain stupid IMO.

So, IMO, lane FILTERING in stopped traffic makes sense to me if both cars and bikes can follow some simple rules and not abuse the law. Lane SPLITTING, like in California, where bikes just speed in between cars on the freeway at will is just insane (for both the bikes and the cars).

Just sharing my perspective on this as a motorcyclist AND a car driver. :)

Last edited:
Back