Arizona passes motorcycle lane filtering law

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
In 90 days motorcycles will be able to ride between lanes of stopped traffic to get to the front of the line. It only allows it on roadways with a posted speed limit of 45 or less and 2 or more lanes travelling in the same direction and at speeds of 15 or less. The reason given is because bikes are less visible when sitting stopped in a line of traffic and are safer if they go to the front.

Sounds good but 2 questions I have is where do the bikes go when they get to the front of the lines at a red light? It would seem now there are possibly bikes stopped between lines of vehicles and now they all have to start out and get into 2 lanes again. Also, what happens when bikes are moving up between stopped traffic and the light turns green and traffic starts moving and the bikes are between them. I haven't owned/ridden a street bike in a long time but these situations don't seem much safer than sitting stopped in a lane waiting to go. I know there are some riders here maybe they can explain how it works out for the better.

When looking for a link to the new law I saw a link with a different spin on it, mainly talking about how hot it is sitting still here in Arizona and it's better to keep moving. Hope this works for the best for riders.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/arizona-passes-lane-filtering-law/ar-AAVu2oB

Those are good questions.

If I were a bike or any other vehicle at the end of a line of stopped traffic, I might find it prudent to leave 10 feet or so between my vehicle and the one in front of me, until someone stopped behind me and could act as the buffer. Those ten feet would give me room to escape if I saw something bearing down in my mirrors.

It seems like the lane splitting "for safety" is a made-up excuse for cutting in-line. Since California's allowed this for a while, what do their numbers show?

I ride. Understand and accept the risks but can't understand why the rider of a low visible vehicle would increase his risk factor.
I've never split lanes on the highway before, never will with cell phones these days. As far as waiting in traffic? I just don't need to get somewhere important enough to ride up through to the font of the line.

Those are good questions.

If I were a bike or any other vehicle at the end of a line of stopped traffic, I might find it prudent to leave 10 feet or so between my vehicle and the one in front of me, until someone stopped behind me and could act as the buffer. Those ten feet would give me room to escape if I saw something bearing down in my mirrors.

It seems like the lane splitting "for safety" is a made-up excuse for cutting in-line. Since California's allowed this for a while, what do their numbers show?
That's probably the only real benefit for the biker, he'd have protection from the rear at that point. I've seen a rider nailed by a car going like 8 mph at a light, just straight up nailed from behind.

California has allowed lane splitting forever. At a light the bikes cruise off much faster than a car. If the traffic starts moving same thing.
This isn't lane splitting like in Cali where they do it anywhere at any speed it seems. So the bikes in the middle try to get off the front of the lines?

I can't wait to be sitting at a light in the right lane and have an ape hanger straight pipe Harley pull up to beside my door 2 feet away and have to stop. :rolleyes:

This isn't lane splitting like in Cali where they do it anywhere at any speed it seems. So the bikes in the middle try to get off the front of the lines?

I can't wait to be sitting at a light in the right lane and have an ape hanger straight pipe Harley pull up to beside my door 2 feet away and have to stop. :rolleyes:
I absolutely hate loud bikes like that, and I hate that cops never care enough to do anything about. If I straight piped my car I'd get halfway across town before I'd get stopped.
My niece was in the backseat when a harley pulled up and did the three rev thing when they stop at a light, our windows were down, I couldn't roll them up fast enough as he was being a retard, and my 5 year old niece was crying for three mins straight because she said her ear hurt.

I absolutely hate loud bikes like that, and I hate that cops never care enough to do anything about. If I straight piped my car I'd get halfway across town before I'd get stopped.

Yeah these things are the worst, and the riders try their best to be obnoxious by revving them to redline when they're by pedestrians, people eating outside, residential areas and in tunnels. I could deal with the straight pipes if they just rode them normally.

Back