Argh... Sheared a bolt.

Resurrecting an old 1970s Black & Decker generator, and was trying to straighten out the support under the generator head. My guess is somebody dropped it and bent the bar going under the generator end, so it had a wicked lean to it. I managed to mostly straighten out the support with a pry bar, but went to undo the one bolt holding the generator head to the bar to straighten in in a vise, and darned if it didn't shear the head off. Ever have that hindsight of "shoulda left well enough alone"?

Was contemplating what it would take to get the generator head off and not looking forward to separating the stator when it suddenly dawned on me that there are just two bolts holding the engine end onto the base; I could just take the engine and generator off together, drain the gas and oil, and turn the whole thing on its side to get to the remnant on the underside.

Any tips on getting the bolt out? I got the blade bolt off my lawn tractor when the head cracked off while mowing, but there the remnant was relatively loose in the sheave, so drilling it and threading a bolt-out into it got it out elatively easily. This one must have been well frozen, I'm thinking if PB Blaster doesn't help it, it may just be a drill and re-tap.

There are YouTube videos about how to remove a broken bolt from a threaded hole.

PB Blaster, shock it with a punch, drill it with a bolt that has a hole in the middle while using a left hand drill bit. Then tap in an extractor.

Watch the videos.

Everytime I do something like this I remember my father saying Perfect is the enemy of Good, and even though I know it I still get myself into trouble.

Back