5/16-18 thread stripped

I had a transmission issue with my Jeep 1.5 years ago that I couldn’t figure out. Took it to a transmission shop that was a customer of my employer (at the time) and they said 1 of my 2 bolts holding a recently replaced sensor in place was the issue. I’m having a hard time believing it, but since I handed them the issue, I’ll own up to it.

It developed a slow leak that I noticed last fall and finally dug into today. A bolt hole was stripped. I’ve done more pan drops on that hog than I can count issue free so I am 100% blaming them.

Retapping failed. Should I drill it out one size up or try a helicoil? It’s an aluminum housing.

What's the next size larger? Is there enough "meat"? This is the easiest to do.

The bolt enters the case from the bottom? What's the top of the case look like where the threaded hole used to be? Can you use a longer bolt topped with a nut on the top side?

You have to drill the hole larger for a threaded insert anyway. A longer bolt and nut may save you from having to buy threaded insert tooling. 🤷‍♂️

Helicoil is actually stronger than aluminum, because the spring insert takes the wear when the bolt is inserted & removed; the insert just stays stationary in the hole.

Helicoil would be my choice on this. Low torque. Low stress. Strength isn’t an issue and you keep the same bolt size as the others.
I’ll try one. Thanks.

It’s unfortunate because the exhaust runs right where I need to be. I should be able to get it though.

Do you think the pan will need removed for this or will I be okay to just leave it on?

I’ll try one. Thanks.

It’s unfortunate because the exhaust runs right where I need to be. I should be able to get it though.

Do you think the pan will need removed for this or will I be okay to just leave it on?
A picture would help, but if you’re able to drill squarely, and run the tap OK, then doing the work should be fine with it in place. The seal should keep the debris out. The aluminum housing will make that work easy.

Are all kits pretty much equal? Found this on Amazon for $16. I would’ve preferred helicoil brand but it didn’t come with a drill bit.

8DA9D1A0-5D3B-4712-9467-DE1894B9E904.jpg

Chinese knock off but a stainless steel coil insert is a stainless steel coil insert. That one will work fine.

Back