Are you driving the same car since 2010

I am now as my volt is off the road possibly indefinitely, so now my fleet is reduced to 2010 Cobalt, 2000 Honda Insight, 2001 Dodge Ram Clubcab v8.

I am tempted to place the 1981 Comutacar and 1970 Subaru 360 back into service and eliminate one of the current primary cars.

I ordered my 1996 Ford Contour in Sept 1995, received it in Dec 1995. It's the lower level trim, GL, with the 2.0 Zetec 4 cyl, 5 speed manual and I ordered with the 205 60 15 tires which gave you the widest wheel rim available. I love the car, it's fun and easy to drive. It's simple no fancy electronics and so far it's been reliable. The odometer broke years ago at ~113,000 mi. I have no idea how many miles it has now. If all goes well we're moving to Fl from NJ in the late summer, it's coming with me. As a bonus, if I don't drive it hard all the time I get in the lower 30's mpg.

Well I didn’t drive in 2010 as I was only 8 then lol. But my family has many of the same vehicles that we did then. We bought the 2004 Camry in 2010 with 47,000 it’s now got almost 300,000 it was my moms daily for awhile then my dads. It’s still his daily but it’s been down since yesterday I’ve got to replace a caliper today as the pin is stuck and will not budge at all. We are thinking of selling it to my cousin as her dream car is that style of Camry and getting an older like 2005 or 2006 Yukon or Suburban possibly Tahoe, we have been looking at them and I love that body style so that might be what we do. As much as I’d hate to part with a vehicle. My dad is trying to get me to trade my Escape for one the place has a Yukon but it’s the small Yukon and a Tahoe I told him we could each buy one lol. As long as he doesn’t part with the van we have I’ll be ok as that’s the only vehicle we have left from when I was born. We still have our Jeep which was purchased in 2005, the Van which was purchased on 1998 and the Camry. No major repairs to any of them except the Jeep which we put a new head and head gasket on but the issue still is there so we will be replacing the engine probably or sell it as is to someone. We also had a 1994 Dodge Intrepid my dad bought in 2009 or 2010(I think 2010) for my sister but she would not drive it so he sold it two weeks later for the same price he paid. Then it blew up when the guy took it 90+ down the freeway and the water pump flew through the radiator lol. Those are all that’s left from 2010. Unfortunately I’ve kinda realized it’s not good to hoard vehicles. I’m thinking of parting with my 1990 truck as well that doesn’t run and hasn’t run it’s just sitting there and I have no time to work on it. And I’ve got ants and wasp making homes in there and everything like that. But the more we get rid of the more I can get that Yukon or Tahoe I’ve been dreaming of and build that garage I’ve wanted.

In 2010 I was driving my 2002 Cavalier I got in 2005. That was 3 vehicles ago!
I’ve had an 03 Tribute, a ‘10 Kia Soul, and now my ‘09 G5 since then. My wife also got the 2016 Jeep she now drives.

I’ll tell you what: I owned a Honda Accord for 17 years - and in that time I probably saved myself $50,000 by keeping it that long - but it takes work, sacrifice (of a lot of things), and serious commitment. The money I saved went into real estate. I was able to pay off my mortgage, save, buy another home, and keep my first home as rental property. This was mostly (honest to god) because I kept that Accord that long. It was completely payed off in three years, and that allowed me to have 14 years without a car payment, and bare minimum car insurance premiums.

Would I do it again? I don’t know? I’m a lot older now and at some point you have to enjoy things. I haven’t made up my mind if I enjoy my 2016 Toyota Avalon that much. Plus, this is my third car since that Accord - and I’ve already shown signs that I’m trending in a different direction (I’ve owned a Lexus LS460, brand new pickup truck, and now the Avalon). So, perhaps ive gotten some stuff out of my system and will keep this Avalon a long long time (and sock away some serious money by investing and paying down debt)? But when your neighbors and friends are all driving new fancy cars...you kind of get the itch. But I’m two years in on this Avalon now...put over 50,000 miles on it (now at 95,000), and it’s driving/feeling like a new car. I might keep it and buy a classic car as an investment.

The xB, now in it’s 17th year (bought new), soldiers on at ~117K. I do need to do something about the exhaust manifold donut gasket, the studs have pretty much rusted off & small C-clamps are holding it together currently. I probably should replace the manifold, but I’ll probably use those little cast iron clamps to hold it together. Amazingly no real body rust yet, but I need to get the clearcoat reshot pretty badly, it’s peeling like a bad sunburn…

Back