Are you a hoarder or do you buy oil "as needed"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
peterr,

Are the litre bottles and quart bottles actually two different sizes? I'm just curious because I have never seen a litre size oil bottle.
smile.gif

Its Canadian packaging. Quite possible that the bottles are actualy the same size but filled to slightly different levels, although I think that the fact that the litre is 5% bigger than the quart makes this less likely. Most sizes are metric here since the mid 70s, although because of NAFTA we see a lot more of US packaging. Free trade means it may be cheaper to supply Toronto from Pennsylvania.

The sizes that I have had recently:

1 US quart (.946 litres)
1 litre
1 US Gallon (roughly 3.8 litres)
4 Litres
4.4 litres ( a weird one. it's close to an Imperial gallon but not really close enough to make sense)
4.73 litres (5 US quarts)
5 litres

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
I don't see any reason to have an oil stash, and I'm going to define a stash as oil that won't be used within a year.

How do you know that the oil you've stashed won't be obsolete before you can use it up? Given the great strides in the increase in the quality of oil, oil you buy now may not be as good for your vehicle as new formulations that may be only a couple years away.

ahem..I said pretty much the same thing in another thread. great minds think alike.
lol.gif

How do you know the oil of the near future won't be of a worse quality as emissions standards keep going up and up in the fear of global warming? We stashers of SL and SM may be the smart ones.
dunno.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
How do you know the oil of the near future won't be of a worse quality as emissions standards keep going up and up in the fear of global warming? We stashers of SL and SM may be the smart ones.
dunno.gif
lol.gif

Or something comes down the line and makes oil "Suitable for API" without the API ring...

Like last year.
rolleyes.gif

My stash is SL and SM..

I feel quite safe that my oil needs are going to be covered with my stash.

And I did not have to spent $5 a quart for the "latest and greatest marketing oil"...
lol.gif

I'll use what is proven.
grin.gif

Cheers, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I was an oil hoarder long before I ever heard of Bitog. At least I THOUGHT I was. It seems obvious that I am merely an ameteur. Probably only 30 gallons or so on hand right now. Some of us don't live in town and it costs too much just to drive 25 miles for five quarts of oil. The newest vehicle we own is Mama's '98 Trooper, then my daughter's '90 GMC, '81 F-150, 74 F-350, 69 Bug, 68 Bug, 1941 John Deere Model "A"... Not likely that my oil stash will be obsolete for a while.
Joe

Idaho...that's ***'s country. I only get to see it if it's on fire.

I think if I lived out there, I'd have to stash everything. I wouldn't go for five quarts. I'd go for five 5-gallon drums at a time.

Stash! 'Cause hey, you never know...

-

I'm currently building a collection of MaxLife and Kendall GT-1 semi-syn because the prices are great on sale...

And love getting rebate checks in the very snail mail man...

I for the most part only buy oil as needed. Occasionaly I will run across a sale or something like that but never ever anything that cant/wont be used up within the next 6 months.

I hoard gloves! Every time I go and get a new pair at work, I get two. I also picked up every cloth glove I could find laying around at work and washed them. I came up with over 20 pairs of gloves for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back