Are you a hoarder or do you buy oil "as needed"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Tosh:
"Do we really have to go through these confessions every three months?"

^
lol.gif

If only I could make up my mind as to which oil to stash, I would start stashing it.
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:

If only I could make up my mind as to which oil to stash, I would start stashing it.
banghead.gif

GR,
Actually, that is one of the beautiful things about a stash. It should not be limited to one brand, weight, or type of oil. Go ahead, get some Havoline Synthetic for .75 at Advance, then hop across the street to AZ, and get a couple of Coastal Synthetic for a buck. Set them next to each other on the shelf, let them talk. The Hav will no doubt make the Coastal jealous, and it will try harder to be like the Hav when you use it. Get a couple of HM oils too, and let them taunt the others. "Ha Ha, you won't be able to lube a thing laying in a puddle on the ground. Hang with me, and I'll give you a personal tour of the bottom of a piston, pal." A gallon or two of the .99 Delo, to fill the "tough guy" role, and you'll be set! FWIW, I've got about 75 gallons of various oils, and about 150 quarts of others. Probably a little much, but I don't drink, don't smoke, and don't cheat on the spouse... this is the safest affair I know of.
smile.gif

I WANTED to be a person who just got oil as he needed it, but as I slowly succumb to my BITOG disease, I am slowly becoming an oil stasher...(thanks guys)...though not as bad as some, I have:

1 4.4 litre jug Q-S 5W-30 (and QS filter) (free from C-T w/ CT money!)

2 3.8 litre jugs PZ 5W-30 ($8.46 each from W-M)

1.5 litres Valvoline 10W-30 (real cheap top-up oil)

I'm sure more will follow.....there's 7 litres of cheap Equillon Havoline 10W-30 SJ oil at a C-T down the street I'm thinking of getting as more top-up oil....jeeze, where does it stop!?!

I don't see any reason to have an oil stash, and I'm going to define a stash as oil that won't be used within a year.

How do you know that the oil you've stashed won't be obsolete before you can use it up? Given the great strides in the increase in the quality of oil, oil you buy now may not be as good for your vehicle as new formulations that may be only a couple years away.

What if you exchange your vehicle(s) for
vehicle(s) in which you should not use your stashed oil?

What if you change your oil philosophy and decide to switch from dino to syn (or visa versa). You have a stash of the kind of oil you're switching away from.

So what if your stashed oil was all bought on sale or with a rebate? Within any given period of from a week to a few months time you can always find oil on sale or with a rebate. If you plan a few months to a year ahead you can always change your oil with oil you bought on sale or with a rebate within the last year, and remember, I'm defining a stash as oil that won't be used within a year after you buy it.

Why tie up your money in something that won't earn income for you?

Why needlessly tie up your storage space? And who among us can't use more storage space, and doesn't wish we had more?

Have you ever seen an oil depot go up in flames? They'll never be able to put your garage fire out. They'll die laughing when you tell them the black smoke's from your 300 quart oil stash.

Aren't you tired of justifying your stash to your wife? She thinks you're nuts you know. Since I joined BITOG I extoll the benefits of this and that oil and oil filter for our vehicles and small engines, and other things BITOG-related and she could care less, except that she kept ragging on me about my "oil stash". That is, until last weekend when she came into the garage and I showed her my stash. Six quarts of Castrol GTX I'd bought the day before for the yearly oil changes in our two lawn movers, snowblower, and rototiller, a 2/3 full jug of Castrol GTX used as chainsaw bar and chain oil (so that doesn't even count). A jug of Mobil 1 EP with a half quart left in it from my last oil change in her Subaru Forester, a quart of Havoline from my pre-syn oil days when I ran dino Havoline and dino Valvoline, a quart bottle of Super Tech with about a cup of oil left in it, and a quart each of Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP. "So don't bug me about having an oil stash" I said. I guess I told her!

Now gloves, that's another thing. One can never have enough pairs of gloves. And each type of glove should have a stockpile back up to make sure you don't run out of them for at least 5 years. Lined leather work gloves; unlined leather work gloves; mechanics' gloves; light, medium, and heavyweight dress gloves with a variety of linings and outer materials; hunting gloves with various linings and outer materials; winter driving gloves (for which you can't beat unlined deer or elk skin work gloves); and boxes of latex gloves. I think that about covers it. I must have at least 3 dozen pairs of various types of gloves (not counting my two boxes of latex gloves of course). I KNOW I have at least a dozen pair of unlined leather work gloves, about half of them brand new, not counting the two pair dedicated to winter driving. I once walked into a big box store with one of my (then teenage) sons and a friend of his and about 20 feet into the door my son said to his friend "Oh ***, he's heading for the gloves. Now we'll never get him out of here".

I buy on sale in hopes that by the time I get low, I will find another sale. I currently have about two cases of Havoline 5W/20 and two cases of Havoline 10W/30; all bought at 89-99 cents per quart. Prices for Havoline are currently about $1.88 per quart. I'm starting to get jittery and have been watching for a sale. I will grab another couple of cases of each wgt. if I find a sale.

jmac,
All good points, except for one thing. You can only wear 2 gloves at a time. I use at least 4 quarts at a time...
smile.gif

P.S. Nitrile, latex, or any other protective glove used for avoidance of skin contamination during the handling of petroleum byproducts is a vital part of any stash. You have the virus too..

Man.... I have to buy gloves, too?
grin.gif
confused.gif
grin.gif

I dunno. Maybe you folks elsewhere have better luck finding sales than I do. Everytime I go in the store, oil's more expensive....

I got over 68 quarts of SL GF-3 Havoline Synthetic from the AAP and AutoZone closeout sale. Oil doesn't go bad so I really don't care if 'GF-5' oil comes out in a few years and I still have this old oil leftover. Its not like your engine will die if you use an oil that is 7 years old.

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
Now gloves, that's another thing. One can never have enough pairs of gloves. And each type of glove should have a stockpile back up to make sure you don't run out of them for at least 5 years. Lined leather work gloves; unlined leather work gloves; mechanics' gloves; light, medium, and heavyweight dress gloves with a variety of linings and outer materials; hunting gloves with various linings and outer materials; winter driving gloves (for which you can't beat unlined deer or elk skin work gloves); and boxes of latex gloves. I think that about covers it.

You left out gloves for extricating yourself from underneath the rubble after an earthquake. Should be kept with your sturdy shoes, prybar, flashlight, and whistle next to the bed. No joke. Off to the shops with you!

My hoarding was beneficial in that I was able to give the three 99 cent gallons of SAE 30 Delo (that I bought just because) to a charitible cause (missionary with diesel surburban working in the mountains of Guatemala). If I ever find I have oil I cannot use, friends will buy it or I can give it to charity. My SL will not become obsolete as I always buy used vehicles anyway.

Hmm, lessee:
*2 qts of Schaeffer 7000 5w30 SL GF-3
*~1.5 qts of Schaeffer dino SAE 30 (for lawn tractor)
*1 1/3 qt ancient Valvoline Racing Oil 40W (SJ? SH?)(also for lawn tractor, from pre-BITOG)
*13 qts(I think) Havoline 10w30 SM dino, bought on sale at Fred's recently.
*32-33 qts of white bottle Formula Shell dino, all rated SL, in 5w30 GF-3, 5w30 GF-4, and 10w30 GF-4- bought on sale recently at Walgreens(who knew?) for a double Auto-Rx treatment on the Neon at 190K miles, & maybe a treatment on the Mercury too.

Probably another odd qt or two hiding somewhere.

But I can stop buying oil anytime I want to stop...honest...
grin.gif

I don't know if I am in denial stage.

I don't qualify as a hoarder by any stretch by Bitog standards, but by normal person standards it might seem otherwise...

I have on my shelf:
6 litres of Esso XD-3 0w40 Syn
4 litres of Esso XD-3 15w40 Dino HDEO
3 litres of Castrol GTX 5w20 Dino
a little more than a gallon of FP60
about half a gallon of LC20
2 quarts Specialty Formulations MTL-R 75w90
2 bottles of AutoRX
1 bottle Chevron Techron
3 Mahle Filters
1 Fram Filter (Girlfriend's car!)

This is less than I had a couple of weeks ago. I have not bought any oil in a few months and I have done some changes. Two weeks ago I took back about 8 US Gallons (about 30 litres) to my used oil depot.

I imagine I am very much on the low end of the Bitog scale

peterr,

Are the litre bottles and quart bottles actually two different sizes? I'm just curious because I have never seen a litre size oil bottle.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back