Are these two coolants compatible?

My '21 Vauxhall Insignia uses Dexcool in it's little 1.5 3 cylinder diesel (half a 3.0 Duramax). When I bought it (brand new might I add) the coolant level was below minimum mark but in the 10k I've done in it since it hasn't moved or gone down (or up for that matter). I decided to finally top it up last weekend and used Comma G30 (see link below). I figured it's an OAT coolant like Dexcool and as Dexcool is considered a 'universal' coolant these days it would be absolutley fine. But now I'm doubting myself. Anyone confirm if this is likely to have any adverse issues?

Says purple in the technical data sheet you linked to.

Typical Inspection Data:
Density @ 20 °C
1.124 g/cm3
Appearance
Clear Violet liquid

Boiling point
177 ⁰C
Reserve Alkalinity
10ml
Water Content
2.3%
Refractive Index

Of course they're compatible they're both OAT coolants, G30 and Dexcool are brand names for two products that are essentially the exact same thing. Dexcool is listed as orange but often looks more red, so mixing orangish red with bright red will get you red.

Of course they're compatible they're both OAT coolants, G30 and Dexcool are brand names for two products that are essentially the exact same thing. Dexcool is listed as orange but often looks more red, so mixing orangish red with bright red will get you red.

Thought that was the case. Thanks for clarifying.

The presence of a dye means nothing of course other than just what they've chosen. I know that the standard Prestone these days is essentially just Dex-Cool even with their standard yellow color.

BASF G34 is under 6277M but it never used the DexCool trade name, that is reserved for Texaco XLC and its clones sold elsewhere. All western OAT coolants are interchangable.

Ford WSS-M97B44-D = Texaco\Havoline XLC = GM 6277M = BASF G34 = BASF G30 = VW G12+

Last edited:
Back