Are these headlight housings too far gone to polish?

IMG_20240610_061511561_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20240610_061452679.jpg

This is with the headlights on, showing vertical lines, are these cracks? No moisture in them. It was raining when I took the photo.
IMG_20240609_201717187~2.jpg

What year? The top of my wife's 2015 Subaru Outback looked similar but without the micro cracks. I had been applying Meguiar's PlastX and Meguiars Headlight Protection 2 times per year as it doesn't last long as the headlights age.

I recently used Cerakote's system to clean and seal the lenses ($16). We'll see how long it lasts.

1000003262.jpg

I've used Magic Eraser pads and gotten results very similar to the kits that cost $35.00+. Every 3-4 months while the oil is draining, I clean the headlights. Easier and cheaper than replacing the whole assembly.

What year? The top of my wife's 2015 Subaru Outback looked similar but without the micro cracks. I had been applying Meguiar's PlastX and Meguiars Headlight Protection 2 times per year as it doesn't last long as the headlights age.

I recently used Cerakote's system to clean and seal the lenses ($16). We'll see how long it lasts.

View attachment 224168
13 Elantra. If it cleans up, napa has a 2k mixing spray can of clear to coat them with.

I'm going to pull them off to try it.

It is worth a shot but you have to sand them really well. Use a kit with sandpaper not just the polish kits to get the most improvement and better yet the kits with the drill adapters so you can sand much easier and more effectively.

Are there any roloc discs i can use with a die grinder ?
Don't uses them, that will ruin the lens. Remove the light and use a orbital sander with #400, #800, #2000 and finish with a 3000 or 5000 Trizact disc, use all the disc with water then polish the lens with a buffer and rubbing compound then a light polishing compound.
You can use 2K urethane clear or one of the kits for the final coating, the one from Sylvania seems to work well enough and is much easier.

Don't uses them, that will ruin the lens. Remove the light and use a orbital sander with #400, #800, #2000 and finish with a 3000 or 5000 Trizact disc, use all the disc with water then polish the lens with a buffer and rubbing compound then a light polishing compound.
You can use 2K urethane clear or one of the kits for the final coating, the one from Sylvania seems to work well enough and is much easier.
Thank you Trav!

Back