Has my Mother's mag polish gone bad?

I just opened my little 5 oz container of Mother's mag polish that is about 60% full, and I see it sitting in this brownish oily liquid. Does that mean that it has gone bad or should I just mix it in and keep going?

I've the jar for 6 months and as far as I know it was sealed tight and not in any particular extreme conditions. Just sitting for about 3 months on the shelf in the utility closet in my house.

Stir it up. The contents of many types of polishes and waxes will separate over time. Especially in a warm garage. I have a can of DuPont Polishing Compound that I purchased back in the early 70's that I'm still using.

Everytime I open it it has that same brown liquid sitting in a puddle on top of it. I stir it up for a couple of minutes and it changes back to that slightly tan cream it's always been.

If the jar or tin has had the lid on tight, nothing will have evaporated out, so everything is still in there.

Weird. I've had the same jar of Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish for nine years and while the top of it turns brown, you just mix it a little and it's totally fine. I've never had the oil separate.

I'd mix it with a popsicle stick or something like that and try it on a small spot. It's likely fine.

Thanks everybody.

Yeah, I did mix it and use it and it seemed to be okay, but then was kind of wondering if it still might be on its way out, but as I say it seemed to work.

Also, as an afterthought, I sent a email to Mother's customer service to ask them but probably won't hear back from them till Monday as that happened Friday night.

Thanks again for your input

Since the polish works by using fine abrasives, mix it and go.

Those abrasives don’t change with time, it’s just that the liquid in which they’re suspended separates out.

Back