Are There Any Good Fram Oil Filters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does fram make any good oil filters? My sales rep now sells frams and driveworks and has a good deal on frams (dont know which ones)

Where have you been, you're a regular member here. I mean the Ultra (gold can) is talked about all the time here as being very good. Some people also like the Tough Gaurd (silver can) because of it's efficiency and silicone ADBV, but it still has fiber end caps, whereas the Ultra has metal end caps.

http://fram.com/oil-filters/all-oil-filters.aspx

Of course they do...dont let people talk you into thinking they are trash. The Tough Guard is a great filter, and the Ultra is excellent. Running a TG on the Uplander now, and a Ultra is on deck for the Accord next OCI. Running a Honda OEM (Rank/Fram made) filter on the Accord now. Great filters IMO.

Your in the oil filter section of this forum and your asking this question?

33.gif

It's an honest question guys...

I run Cartridges in my cars...and recently I decided to give the Ultra line a try. I tested this bad boy in my Cobalt for 7 months...and it took it like a champ! Have to say I was impressed... It's real test is coming up, as I have another one heading into my wife's car this week.....

Tough guard version looks fine too....didn't like the extended guard, as side by side with the TG, the made in China filter really shows...

I think it is going to depend on the price you get for them...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Tough guard version looks fine too....

Honestly, I wish they wouldn't hide the Tough Guard so well in Canada. It's either the orange can, the gimmicky HM thing, or the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough
Just the Ultra. It replaced the extended guard and the rest are junk.

Tough guards are superior to many cellulose filters on the market right now. If i wasn't running 2 Fram Ultras next i would buy a Tough Guard next.

I've never seen a TG cut open that didn't look great.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough
Just the Ultra. It replaced the extended guard and the rest are junk.

+ 1 To what he said.

Hi,
I work at FRAM. Driveworks? Look for made in USA models, those are made by us. The LCR models are not so great unless used for 3k OCI's. The FRAM EG filter is 95.7% efficient@20 microns and rated for 5k OCI's. The Tough Guard is 99% efficient@20 microns and rated for 10k OCI's, FRAM Ultra is 99%@20 microns and rated for 15K OCI's. As far as the end caps? There are now so many filter companies using our design now that the patent has expired you would think it would be a dead issue. Mann and Hummel are using it or just plain glue for end caps, Nissan uses it on OE filters, Toyota is just weaving the ends of the filter media together with no end cap at all. I could provide many more examples but really there is now point, the technology works and others using it is the proof.

Give it up, Motorking ... Don't you know that facts and data and common sense are not aplicable to filters? How dare you use examples that contain testing results and market dominance, when good ol' irrational fear is what matters most!

Your BITOG filter-hater card is hereby recinded. Now go sit in the corner, say 10 Hail Moly's and 5 Our Filters, and you'll be forgiven.
grin2.gif

I still stay away from the orange ones. The one for my ford is $12. I can buy the motorcraft filter for $9. The champ labs stp filter is still a non ecore and is around $7. Running baldwins right now since i got a case of those for $60 shipped.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Driveworks? Look for made in USA models, those are made by us. The LCR models are not so great unless used for 3k OCI's.
Jay, are you saying that Driveworks filters that are labelled "Made In USA" are made by FRAM Filtration? If so, I take that as a positive thing.

What are "LCR models"?

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Your in the oil filter section of this forum and your asking this question?

33.gif

Precisely! And a long time member to boot. Due respect, but really with all the information on this board regarding both the DW and all the Fram's, this thread particularly as titled is unnecessary and contributes little imo. Just trying to keep it real here.

Question - in the size for my Frontier V6 (and also the "oversized" filter for my G37), Advance Auto only shows the Extended Guard (XG7317), not the Ultra.

Is there any big difference between XG and Ultra at this point? The prices are exactly the same (Ultra in the "normal size" for my G37 is same price as XG for my truck/oversized)

I wanted to order a few using a coupon, but if Ultra is still better then I wont place my order with Advance.

Last edited:
The Ultra has a higher capacity and both the XG and TG are rated at 99% @ 20 microns, so the Ultra wins if the price is the same since you can use it more than 1 time up to 15,000 miles rated and the efficiency should go up with usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back