Are the new CR-V's really that terrible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We own a 2018 EX-L AWD with the 1.5l, purchased new and currently have about 23K miles on it. My wife mostly drive it and really likes it...quiet, the ride, the handling. Friends who have ridden in it ditto the same thoughts.

Yes it is a fuel diluter, even though we do no do any short trips...minimum 10mi drive to the closest town. At 5000mi oil change you drain out an extra 0.5qt....sump is only 3.7qt w/filter. The "fix"/update that was performed did not help. Wear data I have seen from UOA's done at 3500-5000 miles seem fine. So I do that plus use 0W30 vs the 0W20 spec'd out in the manual.

They did extend the power train warranty from 5yr/60K to 6yr/unlimited..."kicking the can" down the road I guess?

Don't forget the Jeep renegade.

Most powerful powertrain in the segment and a competent planetary automatic with two shifts to 60mph to add to the spunk factor.

I plant to test drive one to see how it rides and steers. Itmay replavce the Subaru. I'm worried about the large a pillars causing "claustrophobia" though.

then You have the Jag E-Pace and the Alfa Romeo Stelvio at a higher price and pperformance point as an off lease option.

[Linked Image]

Most powerful powertrain in the segment and a competent planetary automatic with two shifts to 60mph to add to the spunk factor.

I plant to test drive one to see how it rides and steers. Itmay replavce the Subaru. I'm worried about the large a pillars causing "claustrophobia" though.

If bored with the mediocre perfomance of the Rav and honda and Subaru, ther exist the the Jag E-Pace and the Alfa Romeo Stelvio at a MUCH higher price and performance point as and viable as an off lease option.

[Linked Image]

My ex's family are die hard Honda fans. Trying to fit in, I tried a few new and used ones back in the 2004-2010 time frame. I had two Civics and a Element, They never caught on with me. I found the rides to be stiff, noisy, cheaply made/tinny and they all had issues ranging from clutch master cylinders , transmission issues, struts going out at low miles to a weird frame issue in the Element ( which I purchased new). I guess they got a weld wrong in the under body on the Element that caused loud vibrations at highway speed. That was fun for them to track down.

I sold my last one off in 2010 ( the Element after owning it for less than a year) and can't see myself owning any more Honda vehicles. Heck, even my Honda lawn mower developed issues after just a few years. The pull start won't retract, the auto choke doesn't always work right causing the machine to bounce off the rev limiter until warm and the engine stop on the throttle broke, I have to pull the spark plug boot off to stop it. LOL

Based off my experiences they engineer flimsy junk and yes, i'm pretty sour of the brand's perceived " amazing reliability" after spending a premium on their vehicles and equipment only to experience quite the opposite in every case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Surely you jest. You don't really want to replace the Subaru with a rebadged Fiat 500X, do you? If so, the best of luck to you, you'll need it.

Originally Posted by walterjay
SantaFe is like a Mercedes.

You're right about that. Including the eventual unreliability.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123

Surely you jest. You don't really want to replace the Subaru with a rebadged Fiat 500X, do you? If so, the best of luck to you, you'll need it.

Nope. I am a bit scared about the Engine tech, but excited about the whole car package. I'd even look at a Fiat 500X if there was a decent dealer near me. With Kia engines blowing up and Subaru CVT failing whats the difference anyhow under warranty? My wife doesn't keep cars longer than three year due to the high mileage she puts on them so she can hit the trade in value sweet spot.

WAG123, What bad have you hear about the Renegade? Or are you just promoting buy U.S. made? I wouldn't mind seeing my wife in a Equinox or an Escape but her Bohemian culture doesn't allow it
smile.gif

I'd even look at a Fiat 500X if there was a decent dealer near me. With Kia engines blowing up and Subaru CVT failing whats the difference anyhow under warranty? My wife doesn't keep cars longer than three year due to the high mileage she puts on them so she can hit the trade in value sweet spot.
WAG123, What bad have you hear about the Renegade? Or are you just promoting buy U.S. made? I wouldn't mind seeing my wife in a Equinox or an Escape but her Bohemian culture doesn't allow it
smile.gif

1. The Jeep Renegade IS a Fiat 500X manufactured in Italy by Fiat and rebadged as a Jeep. The Renegade is NOT a REAL Jeep.
2. If you are worried about resale value, you are in-for a rude awakening at trade-in time if you purchase a Fiat (or Fiat rebadged as a Jeep).
3. If you are worried about reliability (I would be if my wife was driving it that many miles), the Fiat 500 earned such a bad reputation that they couldn't sell them in the US any longer and have discontinued selling all of the 500 models (500X included) except for the 500L. The Jeep Renegade might hold on a bit longer if they sell well, but they aren't.
4. The 180hp 2.4L engine is nothing special. It is the same engine that FCA uses in quite a few other vehicles. The AWD Compass that I recently rented had the 2.4 and I found it to be noisy and lazy. The fuel mileage wasn't very good either. I didn't check the mileage, but I sure did pump a lot of gas into the very small gas tank during the week that I had it. Also, the check engine light came on while I had it, something that I never before experienced on a rental (maybe that had something to do with the poor gas mileage).
IMO, if you want something more entertaining to drive that has a gear-type automatic, the Mazda CX-5 and VW Tiguan would be much better choices.

FCA owns and builds Jeeps and puts a Jeep badge on it - it's a REAL Jeep.

Now, If you mean "real" by body-on-frame, IMO the last real Jeeps were back in the 80's with the AMC CJ-5 or 7

Mexican VW? HA ! After driving my lease Jetta for a year on the mqb platform - I wouldn't go near the things. Unfortunately still Cheap, fall apart vehicles.

I Rode in my BIL CX 5. I have the issue of absolutely hating their commercials on TV. I will say the Engine was torquey and trans seemed to shift and behave well - but I was non-plussed by the rest of the car for the price. Girly, odd looking styling on that pig too.

Funny, though, I felt My 90's small body Suzuki (Chevy) Tracker was a better Jeep than a Jeep out on the trails.

The Renegade is pretty peppy for a N.A engine entry level CUV with the 9 speed auto . My wife is frustrated with the slow acceleration on the highway in the Impreza. But I am afraid of the electro hydraulic throttle-less design flying apart.

Also We don't want to be over 23K sales price - which is limiting.

Last edited:
.... The Renegade is NOT a REAL Jeep........The Jeep Renegade might hold on a bit longer if they sell well, but they aren't............. the Mazda CX-5 and VW Tiguan would be much better choices.
Sales figures were close to 100,000 Renegades per year in the U.S. for 2016, 17, & 18 years. Thats not bad. I think 2019 is on pace for around 75,000 units, a drop-off with the rest of the industry though.
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/jeep/jeep-renegade/

Is it a real Jeep? Generally they do well off-road. There was a youtube trip documented where it made it through some tough trails in Colorado which proved something.
Sure FCA is using "brand leveraging" to sell non-traditional "Jeeps", we get that.

I agree the CX-5 is a top choice. My '19 Tiguan is a very quiet, composed ride in this segment, except for tractor-like engine growl when accelerating, and its 6-year bumper-to-bumper warranty is awesome (not for 2020 models sadly).

FCA knows their bread and butter: Over-priced Gand Cherokees & Wranglers/Gladiators which make the accountants the happiest! Profit margins on Cherokees, Compasses, and Renegades probably pale in comparison, especially after development costs & warranty claims are factored in.

FCA owns and builds Jeeps and puts a Jeep badge on it - it's a REAL Jeep.

Now, If you mean "real" by body-on-frame, IMO the last real Jeeps were back in the 80's with the AMC CJ-5 or 7

Mexican VW? HA ! After driving my lease Jetta for a year on the mqb platform - I wouldn't go near the things. Unfortunately still Cheap, fall apart vehicles.

I Rode in my BIL CX 5. I have the issue of absolutely hating their commercials on TV. I will say the Engine was torquey and trans seemed to shift and behave well - but I was non-plussed by the rest of the car for the price. Girly, odd looking styling on that pig too.

Funny, though, I felt My 90's small body Suzuki (Chevy) Tracker was a better Jeep than a Jeep out on the trails.

The Renegade is pretty peppy for a N.A engine entry level CUV with the 9 speed auto . My wife is frustrated with the slow acceleration on the highway in the Impreza. But I am afraid of the electro hydraulic throttle-less design flying apart.

Also We don't want to be over 23K sales price - which is limiting.

Suit yourself, it's your money. Remember, you've been warned. Good luck!

Suit yourself, it's your money. Remember, you've been warned. Good luck!

We make bad choices. That's the way we roll
smile.gif

My other "bad" choice would be a base AWD Japanese Mitsubishi Outlander .

Haven't driven either. May hate them both.

I long for the 2009 Forester with the EJ "vtec" engine. wiith a stick.

We make bad choices. That's the way we roll
smile.gif

My other "bad" choice would be a base AWD Japanese Mitsubishi Outlander .

Haven't driven either. May hate them both.

I long for the 2009 Forester with the EJ "vtec" engine. wiith a stick.

The Outlander has a CVT, and with it's lazy 166hp SOHC 2.4L engine it is not entertaining to drive, but IMO it would still be a better choice than a Renegade.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
This is my wives 3rd CRV. Hasn't had one complaint about it. I drive it some and there isn't much to complain about. If old people are buying it, should tell you something.

Old people seem to buy alot of smaller vehicles, so this would be a natural for them. Like the Rav4, etc. Doesn't mean the car is great; it's just great for them.

I drove a new 2012 for over 50k miles before trading it. It was very reliable, but the ride was uncomfortable and that was compounded by the ridiculously uncomfortable driver's seat, thin and short cushion. Adequate generally speaking all around. Would I buy another one? Only if the comfort level and stiff ride issues were fixed.

I'll bet the old timers in general don't drive too darn far in them.

I extensively test drove CRVs back in 2018. My impression was too much road/wind noise (Honda's fault) and ultimately too small for our needs (not Honda's fault). We decided on a 2018 Honda Pilot Touring and while better than the CRV for our needs it still has too much road noise and it is still cheaply made IMO.

My overall assessment of Honda is it's run by accountants now trying to scrimp wherever possible. In the past I think they had the balance better than they currently do and it shows in things like NHV, buttons and switches, etc.

Last edited:
I recently bought a 2002 5 speed CRV...A pleasant vehicle for my wife....It's a 18 year old car but still feels tight ...But it does have excessive road noise...So this this time passes and they still have too much road noise?

Originally Posted by Truckedup
I recently bought a 2002 5 speed CRV...A pleasant vehicle for my wife....It's a 18 year old car but still feels tight ...But it does have excessive road noise...So this this time passes and they still have too much road noise?

At least in the Pilot the rear suspension "booms" over bumps and even course asphalt. The rear shocks/springs appear to sit directly on the underside of the unibody with no obvious (to me) subframe for isolation or support. Wind noise is certainly higher than my Lexus but it's also a bigger vehicle pushing more air. It's been a while since I tested the CRV but it was a similar sound and I would not be surprised is it's a similar design to the Pilot. Certainly, someone here may be able to correct me if I'm wrong - I don't spend too much time under these vehicles but did note that when I noticed the rear differential leak on the Pilot.

Last edited:
I'm not a Honda fan so I have to ask forgiveness for not following. But my MIL wants to replace her CRV with a new one. We are trying to get her to test drive 2019 and 2020 also, just in case she finds a preference. She does not like driving but does about 10k/year, I'd say mostly city, although usually more than 5 miles at a time. I think 2019 can have a non turbo motor? Is that cheaper/better for someone who is a total non at person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back