Are Subaru engines made of glass?

As far as I can tell, Subaru's are absolutely nothing special, and should be avoided unless you want 4WD. Now if you do want 4WD, supposedly theirs is pretty good. Yes, I used to maintain a 2000 Forester.

My '11 WRX was ~130k miles of trouble free life, and I was blissfully ignorant of the 'carnage' going on around it's comp models. Blessed to not have had any issues with it.

My '14 MT Forester has been somewhat of a rollercoaster.
  • FB25 will consume oil, and it is a design problem. Some get their shortblock replaced 3 times in the warranty period. It is exacerbated by the fact that the PCV is right next to the crankshaft, and pretty hard to baffle. Needed a catch can.
  • Cam carrier seal leakage- you noted and definitely atypical.
  • Then the MT's need a MTF that meets GL-5 since the hypoid diff is shared sump with the transmission... its an atypical blend and kinda expensive /qt.
  • Wheel bearings go out pretty quickly, with some at 50k miles. I thought it was because they supposedly use ball instead of roller. Tons of cheapies on the market, few class-act replacements (and hard to chase down!) Must replace as a full assembly.

Dissapointments:
  • Dang guys, still cant make a boxer with no oil consumption issues? Maybe consider outsourcing the design engineering on that one.
  • Need to get the wheel bearings sorted out--what a lame, embarrassing issue. This is below world-class. Needs Alan Parrish: "What YEAR is it?"
  • Why are we still putting ginger root "conditioner" (I see you Holts Radweld) in an engine that has no headgasket problems?
These things strike me as the signature of many manufacturer's (not just Subaru)--push the ROI of quality.

Last edited:
Yeah, it seems to me that they really started focusing on their reliability and reputation in the early and mid 2010's. Maybe they poached some Toyota QC managers? I think their N.A. marketing has been quite successful and over states the value of AWD and off road capabilities, but that's N.A. marketing for you... We have people convinced they need trucks with 1000ft/lbs of torque for towing 3 atv's on the weekend...
Anyways, they are a tiny automaker who has found a niche and are trying to make a few cars well now. 1 main global chassis, a few engines, and 2 cvt transmissions, I like that KISS approach and that they design and manufacture their own CVT's.
Ours has been good so far, they had a warranty fix for a squeaking driver seat, and have an extended car battery warranty now as some had problems. So it seems to me they are interested in taking care of their customers and keeping them.
The whole replace 4 tires thing seems a bit overblown to me, its not really a big issue on actual subaru forums,

That said, if you don't need AWD, don't get it, in a Subaru or anything else.

I avoided the Forester 10 years ago because I didn't want AWD and they had not ironed out the oil consumption issues yet. My questions if I were to look at them again:
1.) How much does tire management run up the costs (replace 4 every time one is bad)?
2.) Past 100k or so, how much does AWD repairs run up the ownership costs?
3.) I assume you no longer need to be a lesbian to own a Subaru?? LOL, I intend not to chap anyone's rear end with this comment, but a few years ago there seemed to be some connection between Subarus and lesbians that mad for popular folkore on the net.

Damaged tires can be repaired 90% of the time. The only time I've had a tire that could not be repaired was due to a sidewall that had been slashed with a knife. Some owners will keep a full sized spare and rotate it in with every tire rotation.

Subaru's tire circumference spec also isn't as stringent as it seems to be at first glance. The spec for variance in rolling diameter is 0.25", which can be calculated to be around 1 mm of tread depth, but rolling circumference only changes a third as much as static circumference as the tread wears down. So the spec ends up being 3mm (4/32") max variance in tread depth between the tires on the front axle and the tires on the rear axle. If only one out of four tires is mismatched, this can be doubled to 6 mm or 8/32", which is pretty much the difference between a new tire and a worn one. There is a bigger difference in rolling diameter between tire models than there is between a new and worn tire, so it is still important that all tires are the same make and model.

The Subaru AWD system doesn't require much additional maintenance compared to a FWD vehicle, just an extra litre of gear oil for the rear diff every 60k miles. The diffs usually last forever. There is potential for rear axles to leak and need to be replaced at high mileage.

Furries can drive? Perhaps only the ones with opposable thumbs. All others have to get the models with CVT.....
No furrie here. As for lesbian....well I will admit I do like women since I've been married to my wife for 29 years. In my area of the Appalachians Subarus are as common as any brand. We have three of them in our household currently. Cannot beat them for price and awd performance. Anything with the 2.5 FA engine has a semi closed deck and head and block cooling are separate; completely different than the old EJ series engines. Subaru also started using a much improved gasket in 2010. So for newer stuff this just isn't the problem it was. Reminds me of the Pennzoil made from Pennsylvania crude and has paraffin wax threads.....or something like that😁 Once an internet legend starts...well you know.

Older Subarus with the EJ have head gasket problems, so you need Subaru Coolant Conditioner (Holts Radweld). If you have the DOHC EJ25D from the late 90s, that head gaskets fails internally, while the SOHC engines fail externally. Bar's Leaks Head Gasket Sealer works great in it, and perhaps you could even use Bars Leaks as coolant conditioner :unsure:

The SOHC engines are also much easier to work on.

Subarus take green coolant. Zerex Asian Green, Peak OET Green, Pentofrost A2, or similar.

The newer Subarus with the CVT finally make 30 mpg possible. Cam2 and Transtar CVT fluids are the correct green color and a good price. In order to change the CVT fluid, you need a flat surface and a scan tool that reads transmission temperature.

There's nothing specific to AWD that has problems over 100k

Another problem you'll find in newer Subarus is the control arm bushings. It is easier to just replace the whole control arm. There is a special Subaru ball joint puller that you can use with either an impact gun or a slide hammer. Autozone rents out slide hammers free as part of their loaner tool program.

Manual transmissions have a completely different AWD system than the automatics. The manual's AWD is not electronic and always 50/50. In addition, the manual transmission is integrated into the front diff, while automatic transmissions use a separate front diff. The manual transmission/differential combo requires Motul Gear 300, while the automatics are much less picky: any modern Dexron synthetic for the non-CVT, any CVT fluid for the CVT, and the front diff in the auto/CVT uses any 75w90 GL5 gear oil.

Last edited:
Older Subarus with the EJ have head gasket problems, so you need Subaru Coolant Conditioner (Holts Radweld). If you have the DOHC EJ25D from the late 90s, that head gaskets fails internally, while the SOHC engines fail externally. Bar's Leaks Head Gasket Sealer works great in it, and perhaps you could even use Bars Leaks as coolant conditioner :unsure:

The SOHC engines are also much easier to work on.

Subarus take green coolant. Zerex Asian Green, Peak OET Green, Pentofrost A2, or similar.

The newer Subarus with the CVT finally make 30 mpg possible. Cam2 and Transtar CVT fluids are the correct green color and a good price. In order to change the CVT fluid, you need a flat surface and a scan tool that reads transmission temperature.

There's nothing specific to AWD that has problems over 100k

Another problem you'll find in newer Subarus is the control arm bushings. It is easier to just replace the whole control arm. There is a special Subaru ball joint puller that you can use with either an impact gun or a slide hammer. Autozone rents out slide hammers free as part of their loaner tool program.

Manual transmissions have a completely different AWD system than the automatics. The manual's AWD is not electronic and always 50/50. In addition, the manual transmission is integrated into the front diff, while automatic transmissions use a separate front diff. The manual transmission/differential combo requires Motul Gear 300, while the automatics are much less picky: any modern Dexron synthetic for the non-CVT, any CVT fluid for the CVT, and the front diff in the auto/CVT uses any 75w90 GL5 gear oil.

Just an FYI, more modern Subaru's have a blue coolant. Asian blue works as a top up!

Newer ones don't have head gasket issues, but now can be plagued with oil leaks. I actually have a slight seep from the cam carrier on our '19.

Just an FYI, more modern Subaru's have a blue coolant. Asian blue works as a top up!

Newer ones don't have head gasket issues, but now can be plagued with oil leaks. I actually have a slight seep from the cam carrier on our '19.

Oh yeah that's right, oops :oops:

I forgot they switched.

:ROFLMAO:

I think they've been replaced with furries in the more recent times... :LOL:

I am still waiting on my Coexist sticker. Figured it would have come in the mail already, or does it just grow on there? I figured you automatically get one when you buy a Subaru.... :ROFLMAO:

A furry friend drives a 2016 Escape. I know another who drives an old Jeep Wrangler. So I don’t think they’re all driving Subarus.

Slightly more on topic, my aunts 2015 Impreza manual burns about 1 quart every 2k miles. Not too bad but kinda lame as it’s done this since new.

Toyota needs to step in and implement the Toyota Production System at Subaru, pull the ripcord on the old Nissan/GM era supply chain but do so in a way not to make Subaru a mere me-too of Toyota.

IMO, Subaru engineering and materals aren’t to the caliber of Toyota or even Honda. It’s closer to Nissan. Subies also are a bit more maintenance intensive than a Toyota. However, newer Subarus aren’t as bad as the 2000s era when a bankrupt and soon to be French-controlled Nissan handed over Fuji Heavy Industries to GM.

The WRX used to have a glass gearbox. Not sure if that changed.

The coolant level in our '06 Ford 6.0 PowerJoke (E450) stays the same; almost 170k the coolant level in our '10 Ford 2.5 Fusion stays the same;54k-the coolant level in our '21 Jeep 3.2 stays the same;15k-the coolant level in all our VW TDI's stayed the same even at nearly 100k.

Quite a bit different than our Subies which needed a drink on a very regular basis-wonder why ?

Buy a Subaru and you'll be needing a drink on a very regular basis also.

Never buy a Subaru-LEASE ONLY if you must have one.

The WRX used to have a glass gearbox. Not sure if that changed.
Certainly a clunky one. I keep saying that my WRX would be just about perfect if it shifted as crisply and precisely as the average Honda does.

Reactions: Pew

Toyota needs to step in and implement the Toyota Production System at Subaru, pull the ripcord on the old Nissan/GM era supply chain but do so in a way not to make Subaru a mere me-too of Toyota.

IMO, Subaru engineering and materals aren’t to the caliber of Toyota or even Honda. It’s closer to Nissan. Subies also are a bit more maintenance intensive than a Toyota. However, newer Subarus aren’t as bad as the 2000s era when a bankrupt and soon to be French-controlled Nissan handed over Fuji Heavy Industries to GM.

We returned only two that should have been kept, the year of the solid lifter whenever that was and the .05 (?) Forester XT-we really really really should have held on to that one.

I avoided the Forester 10 years ago because I didn't want AWD and they had not ironed out the oil consumption issues yet. My questions if I were to look at them again:
1.) How much does tire management run up the costs (replace 4 every time one is bad)?
2.) Past 100k or so, how much does AWD repairs run up the ownership costs?
3.) I assume you no longer need to be a lesbian to own a Subaru?? LOL, I intend not to chap anyone's rear end with this comment, but a few years ago there seemed to be some connection between Subarus and lesbians that mad for popular folkore on the net.
You should have easily been able to find better answers to your “research” than just regurgitating several internet myths. As several have pointed out, for every single true issue with a Subaru, there are probably 100+ cars without it, but there are 99 people who don’t know the facts and simply blow it out of proportion.

On this list there are several Subaru models more likely to make it to 250k miles than several other Honda or Toyota models, and certainly far better results than the domestic manufacturers.

That’s the problem with people blindly believing hearsay, trash-talk, and emotional idiots on the internet- the “info” they think they’re getting rarely lines up with the actual truth.

Yeah, it seems to me that they really started focusing on their reliability and reputation in the early and mid 2010's. Maybe they poached some Toyota QC managers? I think their N.A. marketing has been quite successful and over states the value of AWD and off road capabilities, but that's N.A. marketing for you... We have people convinced they need trucks with 1000ft/lbs of torque for towing 3 atv's on the weekend...
Anyways, they are a tiny automaker who has found a niche and are trying to make a few cars well now. 1 main global chassis, a few engines, and 2 cvt transmissions, I like that KISS approach and that they design and manufacture their own CVT's.
Ours has been good so far, they had a warranty fix for a squeaking driver seat, and have an extended car battery warranty now as some had problems. So it seems to me they are interested in taking care of their customers and keeping them.
The whole replace 4 tires thing seems a bit overblown to me, its not really a big issue on actual subaru forums,

That said, if you don't need AWD, don't get it, in a Subaru or anything else.
That is what they focus on. Some professionals in Russian FSB would or are admiring their marketing. All those commercials: if you don't buy Subaru, your family will die in miserable death; that is the reason for the 8th amendment, just to follow with the golden retriever commercial. They literally had billboards here: nothing goes in snow like Subaru.
That is why they are first in the ditch.

That is what they focus on. Some professionals in Russian FSB would or are admiring their marketing. All those commercials: if you don't buy Subaru, your family will die in miserable death; that is the reason for the 8th amendment, just to follow with the golden retriever commercial. They literally had billboards here: nothing goes in snow like Subaru.
That is why they are first in the ditch.
That's what marketing is about, we also have lots of commercials with Crosstrek's with kayaks on the roof bombing down muddy trails like they are ATVs...
Doesn't really bother me, and they are a good "soft roader" with a small foot print, decent clearance, short overhangs, and I think fairly overbuilt.
You got me thinking about all the vehicles I saw in ditch this winter, a few GM small and mid size SUV's, a couple pickups, a couple sedans too, but no Subaru's. Around here most Subaru drivers seem to be belt and suspenders types with snow tires, and don't drive too aggressively.

It is not driving aggressively. Typical Subaru replaced Avalln, Buick LaSabre. It is driving on something that resembles tires bcs. Subaru convinced them that they own snow cat.

Back