Are SE SF SG oils still available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Walmart sells Accel SF 10w40.

They took that off the shelves months ago at my local WM. I remember it saying it had 1100 ppm zinc printed on the bottle. I was thinking about using it in my '78 chevy 1/2 ton (farm truck), but it went away before I could.

99.99 cent-only stores often carry Union 76 or Unocal 10W-40 SF oil, occasionally 20W-50 or straight 30, but it's sometimes in their costlier deluxe $1.9999 section.

Originally Posted By: Joe90_guy
Although they're something of a rarity in the US, SG/CD oils (usually 20W50 or 15W40) are still widely available in many parts of the world. You will find them all over the Middle-East, Africa, Latin-America and the hotter parts of Asia. And although these oils aren't cutting edge tech or would satisfy the average BITOG reader, they do actually work!

Yes, 20W50 SG/CD (non-shell) is still available here.

However Shell is offering SL/CF 20W50 .
blush.gif

Yes, we too have Shell Helix HX3 20W-50 that is API SL/CF.

We also get a Valvoline MaxLife semi-synthetic which is SAE 20W-50, API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4

Not all 20W-50s are old school SG oils

Originally Posted By: zeng
Yes, 20W50 SG/CD (non-shell) is still available here.

However Shell is offering SL/CF 20W50 .
blush.gif

Perhaps Shell needs to be reminded that SG and SL licenses are long, long expired, and I hope they're not using the API donut for this, unless that's ridiculously old stock. Even Royal Purple had no problem realizing you cannot be producing SL licensed oil any longer, and switched things up to SN for certified stuff and non-certified stuff for higher phosphorus oils.

Given how SL/CF treats have tumbled over the last 15 years (especially since the widespread availability of Group II outside the US and the obsoleting of API CF), I wouldn't at all be surprised if SL/CF has taken over from SG/CD as the de facto lowest tier oil.

You might be surprised to know that the API donut is rarely used outside of the US. Products fully comply and all that but generally the oil companies just don't see the point of applying for something that is meaningless to their market.

You might be surprised to know that the API donut is rarely used outside of the US. Products fully comply and all that but generally the oil companies just don't see the point of applying for something that is meaningless to their market.

Yes, I just checked my oil stash, Valvoline SynPower, Castrol Edge, Castrol GTX, Shell Helix Ultra, Penrite Racing, none of them have an API donut, front or back. They just say "API SN" (or SL) in the small print on the back, next to the ACEA & OEM specs.

I haven't seen that API donut for many years.

I also agree that SL/CF seems to be taking over from SG/CD as the "cheap" oil. A few years ago Castrol GTX 20W50 was SG, but now it's SL.

I understand and appreciate that, but I hope that Shell and others observe the spirit of the API regulations in this regard, and not refer to something as SL approved or SG approved, unless they found it hiding in a warehouse somewhere. After all, you can't make an approved SG or SL oil right now.

I expect that oils originating in North America respect ACEA regulations when they claim those specifications, and it's not too much to ask the same for API claims, given how elementary the rules are, specs notwithstanding. I hammer companies here when I see misuse of ACEA specifications, such as using long obsolete E specs or A specs, or giving me rubbish like meeting the requirements of A1/B1 and and A5/B5 and A3/B3 and A3/B4.

If the API SN or SM or SL or whatever is used to just satisfy manual requirements in other parts of the world, oil companies are perfectly free to ensure that their wording reflects that, just like Imperial Oil does here in Canada with obsolete API specifications, or specifications for which they simply do not get a license.

Garak,

I am no great lover of The Mighty Shell if only because they treat their suppliers much like the average Saudi treats his Phillipino housemaid. However I can 100% assure you that Shell would drink poison before doing anything that wasn't absolutely kosher. If anything they like to be more Catholic than The Pope, irritatingly disallowing things that are explicitly allowed in the codes of practice!

BTW, your note suggested that API SL is obsolete. Is that correct??

Originally Posted By: zeng
My stash of SHU 5W40 doesn't display API donut .... as is shown here http://www.shell.com.my/products-service...ultra-5w40.html
Will walk into Shell checking on its Helix3 20W50 if there is an API donut..
blush.gif

Gosh, ALL oils on shelves in Shell and Petronas stations does not display a single API donut.

The Shell's include SHU 5W40; Helix 7 10W30/10W40; Helix 5 10W30/15W40 and Helix 3 20W50.

http://www.shell.com.my/products-service...motor-oils.html

http://www.mymesra.com.my/[email protected]

My wording wasn't terribly elegant, much like Shell's sheets.
wink.gif
I have complete confidence in what Shell sells. If they say it meets SL standards or SJ, or shows a Donut, or had some mishmash of wording stating it meets those older phosphorous levels but SN wear protection, I'd trust it. I've previously bought non-certified Shell high mileage products with complete confidence and would still do so - in fact, I want to, namely unlicensed Quaker State Defy in a 5w-30 grade, but Shell isn't being cooperative with that one, insisting upon having an SN/GF-5 license.

To word it correctly and rigorously, here is what I should have stated. SL is still a current specification. Because we're in North America, and we have so many ILSAC lubricants, I didn't make the distinction carefully. Now, I hope you formulators and Tom_NJ, who know the API regime more than I do, will let me know if I'm wrong here and correct me as needed:

Let's say, hypothetically, that Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 SL is completely reformulated and requires API recertification. Because it's a 30 grade, and isn't seeking to be a dual-rated HDEO by API rules, it cannot by SN due to exceeding phosphorus limits. Accordingly, it would have to be recertified SL, and could be so certified. It could be relabelled as it is now, with an API Donut showing SL. Is this correct?

Now, let's say, hypothetically again, that RP wants to change RP HPS 5w-30 from a non-certified lube to having the SL/GF-3 certification of their previous product. Now, let's say they have the correct HTHS (apparently it doesn't, but this is hypothetical) and phosphorus levels to fall within SL/GF-3 for their 5w-30. They could not certify it SL/GF-3, because GF-3 is an obsolete specification, and therefore could not show SL and Resource Conserving within the Donut, and could not show the Starburst for ILSAC certification. Is this correct? They could, however, seek API SL approval, like GC in the example above, right?

Non-ILSAC 30 grades are so uncommon here, and ILSAC 30 grades so common in other parts of the world, that I did not adequately word my point to cover that distinction. As far as I know, I can only buy one 5w-30 A3/B4 readily here. I walk into Walmart or Canadian Tire, and can find about eight examples of SN/GF-5 5w-30 from Shell alone. So, I should make the distinction very clear when when I write about this.

Originally Posted By: Garak
My wording wasn't terribly elegant, much like Shell's sheets.
wink.gif
I have complete confidence in what Shell sells. If they say it meets SL standards or SJ, or shows a Donut, or had some mishmash of wording stating it meets those older phosphorous levels but SN wear protection, I'd trust it. I've previously bought non-certified Shell high mileage products with complete confidence and would still do so - in fact, I want to, namely unlicensed Quaker State Defy in a 5w-30 grade, but Shell isn't being cooperative with that one, insisting upon having an SN/GF-5 license.

To word it correctly and rigorously, here is what I should have stated. SL is still a current specification. Because we're in North America, and we have so many ILSAC lubricants, I didn't make the distinction carefully. Now, I hope you formulators and Tom_NJ, who know the API regime more than I do, will let me know if I'm wrong here and correct me as needed:

Let's say, hypothetically, that Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 SL is completely reformulated and requires API recertification. Because it's a 30 grade, and isn't seeking to be a dual-rated HDEO by API rules, it cannot by SN due to exceeding phosphorus limits. Accordingly, it would have to be recertified SL, and could be so certified. It could be relabelled as it is now, with an API Donut showing SL. Is this correct?

Now, let's say, hypothetically again, that RP wants to change RP HPS 5w-30 from a non-certified lube to having the SL/GF-3 certification of their previous product. Now, let's say they have the correct HTHS (apparently it doesn't, but this is hypothetical) and phosphorus levels to fall within SL/GF-3 for their 5w-30. They could not certify it SL/GF-3, because GF-3 is an obsolete specification, and therefore could not show SL and Resource Conserving within the Donut, and could not show the Starburst for ILSAC certification. Is this correct? They could, however, seek API SL approval, like GC in the example above, right?

Non-ILSAC 30 grades are so uncommon here, and ILSAC 30 grades so common in other parts of the world, that I did not adequately word my point to cover that distinction. As far as I know, I can only buy one 5w-30 A3/B4 readily here. I walk into Walmart or Canadian Tire, and can find about eight examples of SN/GF-5 5w-30 from Shell alone. So, I should make the distinction very clear when when I write about this.

Wow! That's complicated. But here goes...

So first, Edge 0W30 SL A3/B4. This oil, because it meets A3/B4 will, by definition, be a 3.5 min HTHS oil. As such it's very unlikely it would pass the API Fuel Economy test. Looking at the quoted KV100 (it's 12.2 cst) I might also assume this stuff is based on one of the lower SSI Shellvis VII polymers and this would further compound the FE problem. No passing FE test means it can't ever be GF-x so it defaults to SL. I don't think there's any problem selling an API SL 0W30 (ie non-ILSAC) oil in North America as long as it's correctly labelled on the can (ie no Resource Conserving blurb).

There's no Phos level for this oil quoted on the PDS I saw. SL allows upto 1000ppm max. SN on the other hand requires Phosphorus to sit between 600 - 800 ppm. There are two scenarios to consider here. If the existing Edge has 999ppm Phos, then yes, it can never be SN. If they recertified the existing DI/VII system (say in a new 'base oil) then it would have to stay at SL. However if your reformulation stretched to a full on DI reformation (with less ZDDP) then it might make SN. However there's also the possibility that existing 'SL' Edge already meets the SN Phos limits. Making an 800 ppm Phos SL oil is relatively easy and any half decent formulator would have future-proofed the oil by not maxing out the Phos to 1000ppm. It's possible that existing SL Edge fails against SN for another reason (Phos volatility maybe?).

You're right; you can't now certify against GF-3. If RP ever wanted to go down the certification route they would have to aim higher. Having said that, I sort of want to applaud the guys at RP and Amsoil for resisting the push to certification. In my opinion, it's better to have a genuinely good oil rather than one whose sole raison d'être is to jump through a series of complex (and often nonsensical) hoops like some performing poodle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car5car
They are OK to use for motorcycles. If they are not available anymore, I'll have to buy expensive motorcycle oils.

Walmart, Valvoline 4 Stroke Conventional Motorcycle oil. Less then $4.00 a quart. If your Walmart is not one of the super centers and doesnt stock it you can buy it at walmart.com.
Make sure to look where the motorcycle helmet, goggles and gear are. Its not normally in the oil section.

or pay a buck more in some auto stores.

Last edited:
Thanks for all that, Joe. I believe that the Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 does have higher phosphorus than the normal ILSAC maximum; I just don't have a VOA right in front of me to verify. Of course, they could reformulate with lower phosphorus, as you point out, and go SN, like anyone else, but forego the GF-5 thanks to the fuel economy requirement.

As for certification and Amsoil and RP, like I said, I have no problems with uncertified oil from a trusted source, like those guys. In fact, I get annoyed with the rush to certify everything under the sun to SN/GF-5.
wink.gif

The Australian Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 is API SL, and in their PDS they state that it "Passes all engine test performance requirements of API SN and SM but exceeds Phosphorus limits of those classifications"

I can't directly link to the PDF, but you can search for yourself here
http://msdspds.castrol.com/msdspds/msdspds.nsf/CastrolSearch?

(Region: Australia, Product: Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back