Are Purolator filters w/ synthetic media worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I win. Let it be known to all men that on this day, March the 11th, year of our Lord 2015 jk_636 has defeated z06; ring leader of the frampires!
23.gif

Good game. Now we need to find something else to argue about...
10.gif

You can get better of equivelent filters for less, Fram ULTRA is few bucks less than Purlator Synth on amazon. They go for 10-15 at pep boys so Id hit walmart or Amazon instead for an ULTRA.

Sure, you "win" (I'm just sayin that so you'll settle down) ... so let us know how you like those FUs.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I thought the difference between the P1 and the synthetic is the synthetic doesn't tear?
smile.gif

Oh my. Purolators dont tear. Frampires cut and drain them when blood is in short supply.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Sure, you "win" (I'm just sayin that so you'll settle down) ... so let us know how you like those FUs.
thumbsup2.gif

23.gif
07.gif

Tearolators!!! They are out of stock b/c customer no longer buy em
21.gif

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif

Zee I accept your concession.

All kidding aside, when can we expect you to pick up a Purolator Synthetic filter? I would like to see each of us right an article, reviewing each others filter of choice. It would be good reading material for the fine viewers of BITOG.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I thought the difference between the P1 and the synthetic is the synthetic doesn't tear?
smile.gif

Oh my. Purolators dont tear. Frampires cut and drain them when blood is in short supply.
thumbsup2.gif

23.gif
07.gif

Tearolators!!! They are out of stock b/c customer no longer buy em
21.gif

That is nonsense. They arent out of stock. AAP just has a screwed up distribution policy. I have dealt with them before with various parts that were available at one store, but they refuse to have them brought to the one you are currently at. Pep boys always has everything in stock. Same prices. Regular 35% off sales and free shipping.

I got one on sale at Kmart for $7.xx iirc, it was very well built comparable to ultra,M1, ran about 10k on a Honda. But as mentioned really hard to find, Kmart here stocks like a dozen sizes. The AAPs here can order with a oil change special if you pay difference

We don't have AAP around here and I dread going into a Kmart. Strange that the other stores that stock the P1 and classic don't stock the syn.

Thanks for all the replies, I love this site for all the loyalties to the different filter brands. I am/was a big time P1 fan. But the ripping problem is troubling and so I am wanting to move off them until it's sorted out. I doubt I'll buy the Fram, but my next OCI is coming up so I wanted to get everyone's opinion.

So to break it down in its simplest terms, a tiny sect of BITOG members claim that purolators had some sort of tearing issue for a few months late last year. There have been zero reports for 2015.

The facts are:
1. None of the people who posted the suspect filters are professional oil filter openers. The manufacturer is the only one qualified.
2. Because said unqualified people opened these filters, they no doubt damaged them in the process of opening them.
3. The running tally of "failed" filters takes no account of successful and good filters, thus the tally is statistically meaningless.
4. Some even now are emailing higher ups at Purolator, I just need to point out the recent spate with Yahoo harassment to help this small sect understand the implications for unwarranted harassment.

Enjoy the facts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
So to break it down in its simplest terms, a tiny sect of BITOG members claim that purolators had some sort of tearing issue for a few months late last year. There have been zero reports for 2015.

The facts are:
1. None of the people who posted the suspect filters are professional oil filter openers. The manufacturer is the only one qualified.
2. Because said unqualified people opened these filters, they no doubt damaged them in the process of opening them.
3. The running tally of "failed" filters takes no account of successful and good filters, thus the tally is statistically meaningless.
4. Some even now are emailing higher ups at Purolator, I just need to point out the recent spate with Yahoo harassment to help this small sect understand the implications for unwarranted harassment.

Enjoy the facts.

This is the most ridiculous post I have ever read here on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

The facts are:
Enjoy the facts.

This is the most ridiculous post I have ever read here on BITOG.

This x 1000 and as another "fact" it is quite suspicious that of all of the other brand of filters which were cut open by these "non-professional filter openers" only the Purolators had tears. How do you explain that? That somehow the filter openers all took extra care to open the non-Purolator filters in such a way as to not tear them? If that is the POV, it is the most asinine thing I have ever read regarding the opening of filters.

The facts are:

Enjoy the facts.

I'm not sure you understand what the word "fact" means

How do you know if anybody is a professional can opener or not? How do you know that even the "unqualified" people damaged the media in the process of opening the filters. Statistically meaningless to who? And are you a "higher up" at Purolator that receives said harassing emails? Do you have access to all these emails?

No sir, everything in your statement is your opinion. Some may agree and some may not. But opinions are not facts.

I've been waiting for months for proof against my facts, so let me know when someone comes along with indisputable proof that purolators have tearing issues. Until then, get that hypochondriasis diagnosed.

I've been waiting for months for proof against my facts, so let me know when someone comes along with indisputable proof that purolators have tearing issues. Until then, get that hypochondriasis diagnosed.

1. Prove to me that fellow members are damaging filters when they cut them open.

2. How are you suggesting they are getting damaged?

3. Assuming your theory is correct, don't you find it odd that of all the cut and posted filters, Purolator filters are the only ones getting damaged?

4. Also assuming your theory is correct, why is only 1 pleat getting damaged near the seam?

Please label each response with the number of the correlating question. Be sure to answer all 4 too.

Weird that many filters have damaged pleats at BOTH ends-I still believe the metal crimp (machine) combined with the Classic media is the issue, very few glued seams have shown up with torn pleats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back