Are Purolator filters w/ synthetic media worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicago, Illinois - In a van down by the river!
So as I was searching Amazon for the filters I need for my cars, I noticed that there are Purolator Classics L10241, Pure Ones PL10241, and Purolator Synthetic PSL10241 for running synthetic oils and extending the OCI.

Given all the Purolator hate on BITOG these days, has anyone tried these new PSL filters or are they not worth the $$$ or risk?

Its not Purolator hate. (I just got accused of "Schaeffer Oil hate" simply because I pointed out some false advertising they were doing.) Its not the companies we hate, its the bad products and/or false marketing that irks any reasonable person.

In answer to your question, yes the Purolator synthetic is worth it. Its a good one. Not the other Purolators, but the synthetic one is comparable to a Fram Ultra. Personally, I'd pick an Ultra or maybe Trasko or MicroGreen too over anything else pedestrian.

They are good filters, but slightly too pricey for my liking. If you can find them discounted, go for it.

Nice location btw.
laugh.gif

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Purolator synthetic, yes I've ran a few there a quality built filter that is great for extended OCI's.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
In answer to your question, yes the Purolator synthetic is worth it. Its a good one. Not the other Purolators, but the synthetic one is comparable to a Fram Ultra.

+1 ... Purolator synthetic is one (among many) worth using if going for 10K OCIs. The PSLs don't have the tearing media issue.

Originally Posted By: EyesofThunder
I just recently saw the Purolator synthetic, wasn't sure of it, so I stuck with a Pure 1. What makes it different? Or significantly better?

It filters a lot better. Smaller junk gets caught. Lasts longer in there.

Purolator Synthetics are good filters, but here is why I use Fram Ultras over the PSLs (note the red square):

mKCuQB.jpg

Every single AAP store (I use a code for a discount with AAP) within a 50 mile radius of me does not keep them in stock. While they are only $0.30 more expensive, the fact that Ultras are always in stock and can be ran for up to 15K versus 10K for the PSL make it an easy choice (at least for me). Of course, if you are ordering online and do not need to go 15K, then the PSL would be probably a good buy at <$8.00.

Originally Posted By: EyesofThunder
I just recently saw the Purolator synthetic, wasn't sure of it, so I stuck with a Pure 1. What makes it different? Or significantly better?

It filters a lot better. Smaller junk gets caught. Lasts longer in there.

The PureOne has slightly better filtering specs than the Purolator synthetic.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Purolator Synthetics are good filters, but here is why I use Fram Ultras over the PSLs (note the red square):

mKCuQB.jpg

Every single AAP store (I use a code for a discount with AAP) within a 50 mile radius of me does not keep them in stock. While they are only $0.30 more expensive, the fact that Ultras are always in stock and can be ran for up to 15K versus 10K for the PSL make it an easy choice (at least for me). Of course, if you are ordering online and do not need to go 15K, then the PSL would be probably a good buy at div>

I ended up buying a PSL from Amazon for my previous Tacoma. I sold it before I could cut it open. Seemed like a solid filter with a fair amount of heft. Seems like SOPUS/Pennzoil Ultra Platinum - they just cannot or do not keep them stocked.

Absolutely worth it ... they are high quality filters, but if I want them, I have to order them because none of the stores near me carry them. I have ordered filters before (and a couple of times found dents that appeared to have happened during shipment due to the way they were packaged), but I prefer to buy them in the store so I can inspect the filters before buying them.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
In answer to your question, yes the Purolator synthetic is worth it. Its a good one. Not the other Purolators, but the synthetic one is comparable to a Fram Ultra.

+1 ... Purolator synthetic is one (among many) worth using if going for 10K OCIs. The PSLs don't have the tearing media issue.

Thats it! I have won! Victorious I return to BITOG. Z06 has finally agreed that Purolator makes a quality product. Rap it up boys, were going home. Mission accomplished.
24.gif

OP, Purolator makes great filters. The difference between the p1 and synthetic is the media. The p1 uses cellulose and synthetic uses wire backed, synthetic media. It is an outstanding filter. They are the top of the mark when it comes to Puros and they are just as good, if not better, than other synthetic filters on the market. Use with confidence. Order them from Pepboys and have them shipped to your door. Always in stock.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I know I don't hate Purolators, in fact prior to the torn media issue they had a great record of putting out a high quality product and having excellent customer service. If it wasn't for the torn media, I would still be using PureOne filters on my car. I don't hate them at all, I'm just choosing to use Wix filters until everything is resolved. Once resolved, I may or may not go back to the PureOne filters. But the PureOne filters are excellent.

As for the synthetic media filters. I'd rather go with the Fram Ultras right now. The specs on the Fram Ultras are excellent, there's no reason to be worried about torn media, and the price is right. In fact, there's currently a $2 rebate available on them to make them even cheaper.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
There is no reason to pay more for Purolator Synthetic while you can get Fram Ultra which is better for less.

Exactly.

Yes! they are worth it,just sometimes a pain to find like some of the others had mentioned.Are there better? Probably, but nevertheless great filters.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I thought the difference between the P1 and the synthetic is the synthetic doesn't tear?
smile.gif

Oh my. Purolators dont tear. Frampires cut and drain them when blood is in short supply.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Thats it! I have won! Victorious I return to BITOG. Z06 has finally agreed that Purolator makes a quality product. Rap it up boys, were going home. Mission accomplished.
24.gif

Dude, how many times do I have to tell you that I was one of the biggest Purolator advocate/fanboy on this site until the tearing mess started up. Read my signature ... I'm NOT brand loyal, unless it's quality. And if that quality goes bye-bye, so does my buying that product/brand and go find the one that is quality. It's really pretty simple to grasp.
grin.gif

BTW - you haven't won anything.
wink.gif

After joining the site and hearing all the hype, I bought some Havoline at Oreillys that winter and paid $2 extra for the Bosch upgrade. (Somehow that was an upgrade compared to their MG filter? Lol)

After hearing about the tearing and seeing mine was made during their peak tearing frenzy, I marched right back and returned it for a WIX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back