Are Power Stop's stainless steel brake lines any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do have the PVC coating outer layer and include all the bolts and washers needed.

Power stop brake hose kit

[Linked Image]

Do they have the proper attachment points for mounting?

Most OEM brake lines have pre-attached hardware so that the brake line is properly secured. This is the most common issue I see with these "stainless steel brake line kits."

They are probably good. I have used Goodridge and StopTech in the past. One thing to note is with a lot of them, you have to use their bespoke banjo bolts and not off the shelf ones.

You can't secure them like OE rubber hoses, They need the entire length to articulate......And they can still start leaking near the crimps after enough use/cycles.

SS braided hoses have NO place on the wheel end of a daily driven vehicle.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
You can't secure them like OE rubber hoses, They need the entire length to articulate......And they can still start leaking near the crimps after enough use/cycles.

Good point sir
smile.gif

To an extent, they need to be secured....you cannot have hoses with lots of extra length "sticking out."

I have a set of StopTech hoses and I keep reading things like this and thinking I won't end up using them.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

I have a set of StopTech hoses and I keep reading things like this and thinking I won't end up using them.

I have had a set on my current Mustang for about 5 years with no issues. I had a set on my Volvo S60R prior for the 7 years I owned that with no issues either.

FWIW, I had a set of Teflon/stainless steel braid hoses on a daily driver for at least 20 years with zero issues. I drove this car year 'round. The lines lasted just fine, even without any jacket. No, they were not DOT approved, but they performed perfectly. I mounted them properly, routed like the originals, though I had to make a couple of brackets to hold them in one important place. That was easy for me.

If you don't know what you're doing, don't use them. If you do, I highly recommend them.

Oh man!
cry.gif

The best part about the stainless lines is that they come as a complete kit with all the lines, bolts, and washers needed!

All Motorcycles of my Friends and me have SS brake lines since 30 Years, not one issue with lekage. Cars also.

Maybe a little difference: Alll these SS brake lines her in germany have to be approved by TUV to be street legal. This guarantees save, long lasting brake lines.
To stand the test in germany, to my knowledge, they are reinforced at the crimp section with a little extra tubing outside.

If i look at the picture at the start of the thread, these Brake lines look safe for me, as they have some sort of reinforcing at the crimp section.
If it helps, BF Goodrich lines are approved and tested by TUV here in germany.

I'll just get the Sunsong brake lines. All the aftermarket brake lines available seem to be the same Sunsong hoses anyway

I've got the stainless lines on my RSX and a stainless line running my clutch. I had to coat that one myself.

I would never ever run an uncoated stainless braid on anything. It's simply not worth the risk of a piece of hard debris working into the braid and grinding a hole through the teflon liner.

Well I've run stainless outer braided rubber oil cooler lines, since the rubber hose has a significantly thicker wall by many multiples than the teflon tubing.

For the griping about flex failure, a quality line will have been tested to 90 degree bends 100,000+ times. I have had rubber brake lines experience sudden catastrophic failure because the crimp rotted. Inspect your brake and fuel lines on the regular.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back