Are Optima Batteries Worth It ??

Both are 2014's and now are on the 4th battery.

If a car is going through 4 batteries in 7 years, I would be wondering if something else was in play. That's an unusually high failure rate. I don't care what the brand is. Even out here in the hottest part of the desert Southwest, we can easily manage 2-1/2 years minimum.

I just changed the original battery in my 2015 Jeep. I could have most likely squeezed another 6 months out of it until the hot weather set in.

The question then becomes is it going to last 4.6 times as long?
It may not, but that's not why you buy one. I buy an Odyssey for many reasons. Durability, extreme angles, heavy loads, like power amps, extra lighting an a winch. American made is also nice. But for me it just makes sense when I have pride in my ride. I paided many thousands of dollars for my truck. $100. or $300. on a battery makes little difference in the long run.

When I bought the truck, within a week I installed an AGM. I bought the wrong one(Walmart brand). I knew from years of using AGM's that I should
have bought a Deka or Odyssey. Now two years later my $140. I spent of the Walmart AGM was a mistake, as it's already at 80% capacity:confused:

So it would seem that a poorly made AGM is no better than a flooded type in this case. But a big part of it is the newer charging system now runs at less than 14 volts. I went to the dealer to *****, they just said thats normal for the later models.

.......$100. or $300. on a battery makes little difference in the long run......

It makes $200.00 worth of "difference". That's a lot for a simple battery. For someone with a 4 cylinder grocery getter, it isn't going to be worth it for them. If you're trying to winch out tree stumps at night, while trying to light up Yankee Stadium, perhaps.

It makes $200.00 worth of "difference". That's a lot for a simple battery. For someone with a 4 cylinder grocery getter, it isn't going to be worth it for them. If you're trying to winch out tree stumps at night, while trying to light up Yankee Stadium, perhaps.
If thats how you feel, Don't buy one! Are you just here to argue with everyone.
If you want to be a cheapass, go the Costco and spend $60. on a new battery.

True to a degree ^^^^^

However. ....

I'd that $300+ battery has a 5 year free replacement warranty.... That's obviously $60 per warranty year. Key part being 5 years free replacement warranty... That's quite decent.

Not that bad actually.

Now a $120 battery from Wally world with a 3 year free replacement warranty is obviously $40 per warranty year.

The parts stores with their $170 3 year free replacement warranty is $56 a year. That is a bit high for a routine run of the mill battery.

I'd that $300+ battery has a 5 year free replacement warranty....
It would be nice if that was the case. But unfortunately it's not. As I mentioned in an above post, the warranty on a $319.99 Optima AGM battery that fits my vehicle, with 880 CCA is 3 Years.

The warranty on the AGM Duralast battery is the exact same 3 years. Not to mention it is rated at 900 CCA. And it's priced a full $110.00 LESS at $209.99.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...ttery-h8-agm-group-size-49-900-cca/319459_0_0

The question then becomes, why would I pay over $100.00 more for a battery with the same length guarantee, and is in fact a less powerful, and lesser rated battery? (Both CCA and reserve minutes). I didn't because it makes zero economic sense. And I'm not in the habit of throwing my money away.

Not to mention the Duralast is rated as an "Exact OEM Fit" that isn't going to give me any grief. The Optima is listed as an "Alternate Fit". Is the hold down going to line up right? What about the vent tube? Is it going to be located in the same place? Why even mess with this kind of crap, when you have a part that is guaranteed to fit properly. Especially when you're bending over, working underneath the seat putting the thing in.

Now, if that Optima offered a 5 year free replacement warranty, like you mentioned, and like it SHOULD, I would have perhaps considered it. But it doesn't, so I didn't. If these expensive batteries are so much "better", then let the manufacturer prove it with a longer warranty. Then perhaps more people will start buying them. Until they do I know I won't.

Last edited:
The question then becomes, why would I pay over $100.00 more for a battery with the same length guarantee, and is in fact a less powerful, and lesser rated battery?
You wouldn't. I think overwhelmingly the nays have it with regards to Optima.

We're advocating for Odyssey or Northstar.

I'd hate to have to warranty any product to the modern entitled consumer, but especially one such as lead acid batteries, that require that the consumer have some integrity, be honest, and not completely ignorant of its proper care and feeding.

TPPL agms are perhaps entitled to the super battery status that all AGMS are apparently placed in by Automotive enthusiast Joe blow.

When new and healthy, they can maintain high voltages during heavy loads, such as cranking a starter, and when well depleted, and when a high amperage charging source, which is seeking to bring voltage in the mid 14's, they will accept huge charging currents, and are perhaps better off for it. They can be charged upto 80% state of charge faster than all other lead acid batteries

However Charging from 80% to 100% state of charge is still going to require 3+ hours, and those 3 + hours only applies when the battery is held in the mid 14's by the charging source, same as its flooded healthy counterpart which cost 1/3 as much. with lesser charging voltages, or a less healthy battery, that 3+ hours can become 4.5+, or 8, or 15, even though halfwit joe blow thinks their polished chromed 140 amp alternator can do it in 5 minutes.

When these high $$ TPPL agms are kept in the 85% to 95% charged range, their only benefit is going to be bragging rights, and no offgassing. IN a vehicle with cosiderable parasitic draws, their extremely so low self discharge is not going to be a factor.

If these TPPL agms are deeply cycled, and they are only slowly recharged each and every time, they are going to get pissed off and lose capacity quickly, and even more so when they are not returned to truly full often.

Those experienced with deeper cycling of AGM batteries several times a week, know they are not worth their premium unless they can brought to a true 100% state of charge regularly, and that they WILL disappoint, when they are not. when they are discharged to the 50% charge range, and below, they then require high amperage charging sources as well, perhaps not each and every time, but at least once every 7 deep cycles. 'trickle' charging a well depleted AGM time after time, even if left on for days where amps at proper absorption voltage eventually taper to 0.5% of capacity or less, will tickle it a premature demise.

Do not expect Batteries plus to just say, yes, bring me your 4.5 year old X2 Power, and we will gladly replace it for you free of charge, no matter how entitled you feel to a new battery, at that point.

Defects aside, the worst lead acid battery kept at high states of charge will greatly outlive the best lead acid battery kept chronically undercharged, so reports of longevity or quality of brand X, with sticker Y plastered on its side, from X years ago, without knowing how well that specific battery was treated, during that lifespan, are entirely meaningless.

wrcsixeight,

I read your post several times, as I'm not as well versed on batteries as you are, and wanted to be sure I understood what you're saying. Exactly what are you referring to when you talk about all this, "deep cycling"?

My application for both lead / acid, (Toyota), and AGM, (Jeep), is strictly automotive. Just driving the vehicles normally doesn't produce much, "deep cycling". But they do sometimes sit for 3 or 4 days. Because of that I keep both of them on Noco Genius 1 Battery Tenders. (Max 1 amp output). They have settings for both lead / acid, and AGM batteries.

After I drive either of them, it can take as long as 2 days for them to "top off" the charge to 100% again, and go from a pulsating green LED, (topping off mode), to a solid green green LED, (fully charged mode). Is this helping the batteries any by doing this, or is it a waste of time? Or is it something I don't need to do all the time, and perhaps do it only once a month or so?

From what I understand when the charger / maintainer is in this "topping off" mode, it is using only milliamps, and it is an "on/off" process. Which is why it takes so long. Then, once in the "fully charged mode", (solid green LED), it's not charging at all, only monitoring the batteries condition.

Personally, I really wanted to read that Optima was worth it. That wasn't the case though, both on this forum aswell as every other website or forum I encountered in my research. I generally like to get the best that I can for my vehicles. I'm also a believer in getting what you pay for. I also liked that they are heavier than other batteries. As a Jeep Wrangler owner, I'm not scared away by negative reviews either, but with Optima the internet is literally covered with terrible reviews. Every single car forum I've read said to avoid them and even an Autozone worker page said they get the same amount of Optimas in warranty exchanges as Duralasts. Which says a lot considering they sell many more Duralast batteries than Optimas. Last but not least, as mentioned, the warranty is the exact same which for me, was the nail in the coffin for even considering Optima.

Another reputable member on a Jeep forum had a terrible experience with a Northstar warranty return. Not sure if it was the retailers fault or if that's on Northstar, but I'm pretty sure he ditched the Northstar for something else. Personally, I'm gonna go with either an Odyssey or Costco Interstate in March when my main warranty is over. I prefer the Odyssey, but have a strong dislike for not having a local retailer near me that carries it. The Costco will also be cheaper by about $120

Last edited:
Another reputable member on a Jeep forum had a terrible experience with a Northstar warranty return. Not sure if it was the retailers fault or if that's on Northstar, but I'm pretty sure he ditched the Northstar for something else.

This is something you have to take into consideration, as to WHERE you purchase these premium batteries from. If you so desire them. If you have the battery shipped to you from somewhere else, (be it a Northstar or Odyssey), the return process is going to turn into a time consuming PITA.

With a Duralast your new battery is only as far away as the nearest Autozone. For most people, their automotive batteries take a dump without warning. And you need a new one immediately. You don't have the time to have bad batteries shipped back, while you're waiting for a replacement to be shipped to you under warranty. Especially if you're working, and need your vehicle daily.

Replacing a bad battery should take a couple of hours at most..... Not days. I checked online, and the only "Stocking Dealer" listed for Odyssey Batteries in my town is my local Autozone. However it seems all they have in stock are a few models in their "Power Sport" line. Nothing listed that would fit my vehicles. So we're back to ordering again.

Bottom line, you want whatever brand of battery you choose to go with, to be no more than a drive into town to get, and / or return. And that eliminates most of these premium brands. Because most auto parts places don't stock a large amount of them, if they do any. Due to the fact it would be cost prohibitive to do so. They're very expensive.

This is something you have to take into consideration, as to WHERE you purchase these premium batteries from. If you so desire them. If you have the battery shipped to you from somewhere else, (be it a Northstar or Odyssey), the return process is going to turn into a time consuming PITA.

With a Duralast your new battery is only as far away as the nearest Autozone. For most people, their automotive batteries take a dump without warning. And you need a new one immediately. You don't have the time to have bad batteries shipped back, while you're waiting for a replacement to be shipped to you under warranty. Especially if you're working, and need your vehicle daily.

Replacing a bad battery should take a couple of hours at most..... Not days. I checked online, and the only "Stocking Dealer" listed for Odyssey Batteries in my town is my local Autozone. However it seems all they have in stock are a few models in their "Power Sport" line. Nothing listed that would fit my vehicles. So we're back to ordering again.

Bottom line, you want whatever brand of battery you choose to go with, to be no more than a drive into town to get, and / or return. And that eliminates most of these premium brands. Because most auto parts places don't stock a large amount of them, if they do any. Due to the fact it would be cost prohibitive to do so. They're very expensive.
There seems to be some stores in various locations that are primarily a battery store and they have a good selection of the upper tier batteries. There is still the cost of the upper tier battery with the warranty not much longer then the more common battery types.

wrcsixeight,

I read your post several times, as I'm not as well versed on batteries as you are, and wanted to be sure I understood what you're saying. Exactly what are you referring to when you talk about all this, "deep cycling"?
bringing a battery from 90%+ charged to 50% charged or less, then recharging back to 90%+ charged is a deep cycle.
Actually it is a partial state of charge cycle.

Cycling a battery is much harder on a battery than always sitting at high states of charge, and the deeper the battery is discharged the more important, to its longevity, it becomes, to return it to high states of charge, and ideally, 100% state of charge.

The battery becomes more and more difficult ( taking longer) to return to ideal 100% state of charge, as it ages, and aging is accelerated by not being returned to 100% state of charge, but more so when it is deeply cycled. Heat is destructive to batteries, as is overdischarging, but if these two are not factors, then cycling the battery is the next most effective way to reduce its lifespan, but especially when it is not returned to 100%. 98% charged is far far better than 92%, but half as good as returning it to 100%. in terms of ideal/ maximizing longevity.

So a battery which lives underhood for 6 years only as a starting battery is living a respectable lifespan, but if it were living underhood and deeply cycled 500+ times, that would be impressive. Shallow cycles are not nearly as detrimental, and simple engine starting uses a tiny fraction of the battery capacity.

Short trip driving is not destructive to the battery itself, with modern fuel injection and easy starting engines, but short trip driving never has the time required to bring a 80% charged battery to 100%, which is never less than 3 hours. I measured it taking about 45 seconds for my vehicles charging system to return the energy to the battery used to start the engine. But 45 seconds has no chance to take a 80% charged battery above 80.1 % charged.

Any charging source applied to a less than fully charged battery is a good thing, as long as it does not overcharge.

AGM is a Lead Acid battery too, its electrolyte is just absorbed within the glass matting and not free to slosh around.

One should really refer to 'regular' lead acid batteries as 'wet' or 'flooded'. People also like to refer to any sealed battery as a 'gel cell.' This too is inaccurate, and misleading, as while there are lead acid batteries with gelled electrolyte, actual gelled electrolyte batteries are rare, as if they are charged too quickly, voids will form in the gel, destroying its capacity as there is less surface area for the chemical reaction to occur.
Actual gelled electrolyte batteries make excellent deep cycle batteries, when their recharging is kept within its limits. They are not good candidates for automotive applications.

A charging source is basically seeing to bring a battery upto absorption voltages.
a 1 amp/ 1000ma charger has this much amperage available, to bring the battery to absorption voltage.
A well discharged battery will accept 1 amps for quite a while before voltage rises to 14.xv
A battery at high states of charge will not require very much time for 1 amp to bring it to 14.7 volts.
When absorption voltage is reached, less and less amperage is required to maintain the battery at absorption voltage, and when this amperage tapers to very low levels, or stops tapering, then the battery is fully charged or very nearly so.

So all smart charging devices have a certain amount of amperage available to achieve a maximum voltage, and once reached, it limits the amperage, if it did not limit amperage voltage would keep rising, and there is little point in bringing a battery above 14.8v as it is not going to charge significantly faster, but it will offgass much more and heat up much more and degrade the plates faster.

Different Chargers will hold this absorption voltage for different amounts of time, but most have a one size fits all approach, or a 3 sizes to fit all approach, with extra special marketing to make the consumer believe it can defy the laws of physics.

Most are more than good enough, for a shallowly cycled automotive starting battery, but most will fall far short of ideal or even acceptable, if applied to a battery that is regularly deeply cycled.

When Lead acid batteries are discharged farther, especially below 80% state of charge, it becomes more important return them to high states of charge, relatively quickly. When they live chronically undercharged, getting them back to true 100% charged becomes more time intensive, requiring longer times held at absorption voltages. Getting a regular smart charger to hold these higher voltages for as long as is required to achieve this, can be a lesson in futility.

If one were to use a hydrometer on a battery with removable caps, they would see that most smart chargers stop charging when specific gravity is still well below the 1.275 'green' area.
But almost nobody ever does this, instead believng the marketing and the green light on their charger, and for most, it is not important as the battery will easily start the engine, and for most 'going strong'
But if that battery is regularly cycled deeply, intentionally, achieving maximum specific gravity of all cells, the true full charge, becomes very important to get an acceptable lifespan from the battery.

When the automotive starting battery is slowly drained to 30% state of charge over 3 weeks from parasitic draws on an undriven vehicle, this is also a deep cycle.
Jumpstarting and driving for an hour, at best, will get the battery to 80% charged and 80% to 100% is no less than 3 more hours, and likely far longer than this. Idling parked to recharge a battery requiring a jumpstart, can overheat an alternator as it will be fully fielded, outputtng all it can into the depleted battery.

Do note it is still possible for a 30% charged battery to easily start a modern fuel injected engine, in mild climates, when it is still healthy, but it will not remain healthy for long if it is often slowly drained to 30%, often, and never recharged to truly full.

My Dad's Noco Genius 1 that I tested on the AGm setting, once it got the battery to 14.7v, stopped outputting amperage all together, and only restarted once the battery voltage declined to 12.69v.

Some other maintainers will have 500 or 750 ma available to hold the battery at a float voltage. Some of these might first allow those max potential currents to achieve absorption voltages before then dropping to float voltages. Some really cheap ones will not and will only seek float voltages with their 500 or 750 ma rating.

Ideal float voltage is dependent on the specific battery and its temperature, and generally AGMS will say to float at 13.4 to 13.6 while flooded will be 13.1 to 13.3 at 77F.

The Noco genius 1 does not try to maintain the battery at any given voltage, it will, after bringing the battery to absorption voltage, shut off, and restart once battery voltage has fallen to 12.69v or so.

Knowing battery voltage is better than not, but knowing how much amperage the battery is accepting at that voltage( electrical pressure) is quite revealing, just like knowing how much voltage the battery is able to maintain, when starting the engine( load test).

For example a battery maintaining 12.7v charging a smart phone at perhaps 10 watts max load, reveals little to nothing, but o a battery which can maintain 12.1v providing 1800 watts, is impressive.
When charging ,measuring 14.4v is good, compared to not knowing the voltage, but is the battery accepting the 5 amps at 14.4v, or 0.5 amps.? 5 amps might reveal the 5 amp charger is still maxed out, trying to achieve 14.7v with all its available amperage, or that the 10 amp charger is only needing to provide 5 amps to maintain 14.4v. The 5 amp charger would still be in constant current mode, the 10 amp charger would be in constant voltage mode.

The amperage a battery accepts at a measured electrical pressure( voltage) is extremely revealing, but that electrical pressure alone, is not.

No
It would be nice if that was the case. But unfortunately it's not. As I mentioned in an above post, the warranty on a $319.99 Optima AGM battery that fits my vehicle, with 880 CCA is 3 Years.

The warranty on the AGM Duralast battery is the exact same 3 years. Not to mention it is rated at 900 CCA. And it's priced a full $110.00 LESS at $209.99.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...ttery-h8-agm-group-size-49-900-cca/319459_0_0

The question then becomes, why would I pay over $100.00 more for a battery with the same length guarantee, and is in fact a less powerful, and lesser rated battery? (Both CCA and reserve minutes). I didn't because it makes zero economic sense. And I'm not in the habit of throwing my money away.

Not to mention the Duralast is rated as an "Exact OEM Fit" that isn't going to give me any grief. The Optima is listed as an "Alternate Fit". Is the hold down going to line up right? What about the vent tube? Is it going to be located in the same place? Why even mess with this kind of crap, when you have a part that is guaranteed to fit properly. Especially when you're bending over, working underneath the seat putting the thing in.

Now, if that Optima offered a 5 year free replacement warranty, like you mentioned, and like it SHOULD, I would have perhaps considered it. But it doesn't, so I didn't. If these expensive batteries are so much "better", then let the manufacturer prove it with a longer warranty. Then perhaps more people will start buying them. Until they do I know I won't.

I was talking about Northstar AGMs...

Not Optimas...

That was my reference point.

It is 60 month free replacement warranty through Batteries Plus.... 5 years.

That's the battery I was thinking of....

Not the welfare Optima with only a 3 year free replacement warranty.

Last edited:
I prefer the Odyssey, but have a strong dislike for not having a local retailer near me that carries it.

With all of the bad reviews they seem to be getting, I don't understand why Autozone chooses to stock Optimum, but not Odyssey? The cost is about the same, yet Odyssey is far better consumer rated, and has a better guarantee, for just about the same price, (low $300.00 range).

And when I purchased my Duralast, they had an Optimum in stock for my vehicle, sitting right on the rack. If they're going to stock premium batteries for their customers, why not stock a brand with a good reputation, and a longer warranty, for almost the same price?

More than likely there is a much greater profit margin with the Optimum over the Odyssey. And today it's not uncommon for companies to choose profit over customer satisfaction. The dollars, always the dollars.

Back