Are Optima Batteries Worth It ??

I'm going to be replacing the battery in my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the next week or so. It's original, and it's cranking slowly. I'm anticipating it's going to be a PITA because it's a vented AGM battery, that's located under the passenger seat. So because of that, I want to put in a good one, so I don't have to deal with changing it any more than I have to. I'll save money somewhere else.

These Optima batteries all run around 50% more than all the other brands of the same size and cranking amps. Their warranties don't seem to be any longer, (generally around 3 years), so are they worth it? Or are they just a gimmick with their round "six-pack" cells? Have any of you guys had 50% longer life out of them?

your mileage will vary with Optima or other sealed batteries. I'd be tempted to try it for your interior located battery tho.

Not anymore, they used to be worth it.

They switched out manufacturing years ago and the quality went downhill.

My odysseys are far better batteries. Not even close.

Unfortunately for me I glassed in holding trays to fit optimas in one of my two boats so Im s(t)uck with them - bad move on my part.

Last edited:
I don't know what battery is in my car now. I'm assuming it's a Mopar something or other, AGM flat mat. If my next one lasts 6 years, I'll be a happy camper. I'm rather doubting one brands superiority over another. The Autozone by me has both the Duralast and Optima brands in stock. Both are supposedly an "Exact fit". But we all know how that goes.

Not anymore, they used to be worth it.

They switched out manufacturing years ago and the quality went downhill.

My odysseys are far better batteries. Not even close.

Unfortunately for me I glassed in holding trays to fit optimas in one of my two boats so Im s(t)uck with them - bad move on my part.
Odyssey or North Star, you get what you pay for!

I run one in my trail Jeep as I roll over from time to time. Going on 10 years +/-.
Optima sponsors my friend's Ultra 4 car in the King of the Hammers race. I'd say most wheelers in my neck of the woods have had good luck with them. When it comes to daily drivers, I still run lead/acid. I replaced my F-150's battery last year (@ 9 years old) with a Motorcraft from the dealer. Cheapest price around at $140 out the door as compared to AZ, AAP, or Napa.

Odyssey battery in my Tank now! Just know that they require a higher amp charger. (read this on bitog). I'm not an electrician nor mechanic. I think it's a application specific battery..

I would go for an AGM made by East Penn. More like $150 to $180. Walmart and NAPA, and probably others. The high end AGM batteries I do not think are worth it.

UncleDave says he has an Odyssey going on 13 years. Probably made at the old manufacturing plant. Better made than the new ones.

Optimas are junk. I ran 2 in my previous Jeep. The first one failed at 1.5 years, the replacement (warranty) one also lasted 1.5 years. I replaced it with a plain old Autozone Gold that lasted 6 more years until I sold the vehicle. Both of them had bad cells and failed without warning.

I would go for an AGM made by East Penn. More like $150 to $180. Walmart and NAPA, and probably others. The high end AGM batteries I do not think are worth it.

UncleDave says he has an Odyssey going on 13 years. Probably made at the old manufacturing plant. Better made than the new ones.

I have many of them.
Thats just the oldest one.

Newest is 5 years old.

They have something like 17 plants globally.

I'm unaware of any changes in quality and would be most interested to hear.

your mileage will vary with Optima or other sealed batteries. I'd be tempted to try it for your interior located battery tho.
*Checks Prices* Wow, Optima pushing $300 now. Forget that!

Costco H8 (49) AGM $177.99 36 month replacement seems reasonable, but you'd probably have to go to Vegas for that.

EastPenn-Deka are excellent batteries, but IMO not as good as the other 2. I wasn't aware that Odyssey Mfg changed plants!
Here's a video on Odyssey:

NADA IMO! mine did not last for the xtra cost. get a quality AGM + put pigtails on it for eze charging, a necessity unless you drive a LOT. money save can but a quality C-Tek or other charger. since using one i have 7+8 year batteries doing fine in my motorcycles as well as my pickup + summer roadster only used in emergencies if its not sunny + nice!! a fresh quality battery kept charged will last + of course bigger that fits is better IMO

I have had excellent results with Interstate over the last 15 to 20 years in about 6 vehicles. Climate matters, I am in the Northeast.

Back