Are K&N drop ins still bad at filtering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last I remember, when people put in K&N filters, big particles of dust and junk would get into the intake. I assumed this was because they're supposed to be high airflow, which they may be, but that would most likely also mean they're not as good at filtering as the cheap ones you get at any store with an automotive department.

Are they bad/still? Or do they actually filter fine while letting more air through?

I tried to talk my son out of buying one of theses. Long story short he did and I was outside when he removed the cone filter to clean it (same material as the drop-ins I'm guessing).

Anyways he had one of those aftermarket intakes that hold the filter. After removal I ran my finger on the inside of the intake and my finger was covered with dust.

From what I've read there are a few good dry filters that can be used

Pro Dry S by AFE
Dryflow by AEM

Theses are the only two I've really heard anything good about (that are still in production). I'm not an expert on this subject but I've read into it for a few nights before my son got his K&N trying to find him a better alternative.

You can probably find a few more good brands but I would recommend you look at the two I've listed.

Mostly tho I just found myself reading test reports that provide little if any info based on particle size and efficiency for the most popular brands.

EaAU-group.jpg

I was thinking of changing out my K&N cone filters for this Amsoil type. The nano fiber flows better than paper, and supposed to filter better than cotton gauze.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Skittles
I hear about engines failing all the time due to people using K&N filters. right?

Oh yeah, I hear about them popping off left and right. Every month I have to replace the engine in my Lexus GS because of that filter. The dealership gives me discounts if I buy engines by the dozen.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
I hear about engines failing all the time due to people using K&N filters. right?

Oh yeah, I hear about them popping off left and right. Every month I have to replace the engine in my Lexus GS because of that filter. The dealership gives me discounts if I buy engines by the dozen.

01.gif

Only oil consumption due to scored cylinder walls.

Race applications aren't an issue because the engine's get rebuilt often and are run at max power vs compared to a daily driver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Race applications aren't an issue because the engine's get rebuilt often compared to a daily driver.

Yeah, huge oil consumption issues. Blue smoke at every stop light as far as the eye can see. Gimme a break.

Race applications aren't an issue because the engine's get rebuilt often compared to a daily driver.

Yeah, huge oil consumption issues. Blue smoke at every stop light as far as the eye can see. Gimme a break.

Good luck with all that extra power. Full 10 hp really changes the game doesn't it?

I know of a guy who developed scored walls from using an oiled filter. Now whether he used it properly who knows and he'll never admit, but when the stock airbox isn't limiting power it's kinda silly to risk it with 1950's era filtration technology.

Agreed. Why would anyone replace the filter on a recent I4 Camry, for example, with a "high flow" when the 285 hp V 6 uses the same filter? There's a lesson there. Related queston, why did Fram get out of the oiled air filter "upgrade" business?

Good luck with all that extra power. Full 10 hp really changes the game doesn't it?

I know of a guy who developed scored walls from using an oiled filter. Now whether he used it properly who knows and he'll never admit, but when the stock airbox isn't limiting power it's kinda silly to risk it with 1950's era filtration technology.

Come on people... Everyone 'knows a guy...'

Look, if you don't like the product, don't use it. No one is forcing anyone to do so.

Last edited:
Quote:
it's kinda silly to risk it with 1950's era filtration technology.

Nope....The paper filter is the 1950's technology.

Nope they are still junk and worthless. Please don't waste your money or time with them.

If they did half do what they claim OEMs would install them at the factory.

When did I say anything about extra power? Or K&N being better or worse for airflow?

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Nope they are still junk and worthless. Please don't waste your money or time with them.

Exactly, they are so worthless and junky that every engine that had one installed has worn out from bad filtration.

Come to think of it, they should be installed as an OEM part so they can sell new engines every year because of how bad they are.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

Im sure if they were as good as they claim....Porsche, Ferrari, Audi etc would have them stock. I am not saying they cause engine failures but why put them in a stock car that it can only hurt? Nothing to gain on a stock car.

Last edited:
they are not worthless... if you don't drive on dirt roads, and keep most of your driving to paved street/highways, they will filter fine. Their filtering efficiency actually improves with time.
I got one in my LX450 since about 119K miles, and my engine is doing fine. no problems whatsover, and i have never even replaced or cleaned it... it's getting about time I do something about, and thinking about going back the OEM paper filter, but I am not sure I am ready to give up my 16 mpg that I get with my K&N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back