Are Hyundais reliable?

Are Hyundai and Kia reliable .
well i think they are like a condom you never know when they will blow.

We had a 1.6T Tucson Limited. Terrible fuel dilution. Needed the valves replaced at 103k miles. Surprisingly the DCT gave us no issues until 140k when it started slipping a little. Engine drank oil after about 110k miles. It liked a qt every 1k miles.

Excellent driving and handling cars. Engines are not very good. Poor designs, poor fueling, and not very reliable imo.

We traded it off at 141k miles.

Engines are unreliable for longetivity.
Taking big risks on 5k+ extended oil changes.
Taking big risks on letting the engine run low in oil.
Taking big risks on using thin OEM oils while fuel dilution runs above normal levels.
Some of the engines are chatterboxes.
Most of the TGDIs run subpar on 87 octane gas.
Insides of the engines load-up on carbon / soot prematurely.

I'm missing a couple more reasons why our household won't buy any more HyunKia's. It's too bad about the engines, because everything else inside & out appears well-well built...... not even a single rattle after five years on the Kia and six years on the Hyundai.

The wife and I will be lucky to live another 10 years and that's the time-frame for our Hyundai and Kia to reach 100,000 miles each. It will be interesting to see if we outlive these two engines, or these two engines outlive us. I'll be sure to leave a report on how things fared in 2034, either from our human nature electronics equipment, or telepathically anomalous.

If the message I share with you smells like burnt hair thru your computer, don't retrieve a full tea kettle of cold water to cool me off. It may turn out to be the Hyundai or Kia engulfed in flames on I-75 Interstate in Michigan. Many have been known to do that.

Last edited:
I have a 2022 Kia Soul with port-injected 2.0. It's mostly for the kids to drive locally but to be honest when they don't use it, I drive it all the time, and between my Tundra and RX350, it's my preferred daily. I go into Boston quite a bit and again I love driving and parking this car in Boston. I bought this car knowing there was some risk but it was cheap, it was large inside for a small fuel-efficient car (my children and I are all +6') and I knew we weren't going to put a ton of miles on it. It will likely take 10 years to put 100K miles on it and to be honest once the now 14-year-old is out of the house it's a throw-away car to me anyway. Between 0W40 and 5K mile OCIs and fuel system/top-end cleaner use and low average mileage, it was a risk I was willing to take. If this was my only car and I was putting 30K miles per year on it - no, I would've spent more to get a Toyota or Honda.

Back