Are Euro OEM approvals really a money-making endorsement scheme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fantastic set of responses! Thank you! My questions have been answered! I am much better informed now on how the oil testing business works. The only thing I am still perplexed about is why Mobil makes different 0W20 products for different markets.
You can see, in my response, that the additive levels are different. Part of that may be due to the ESP x2 product also being designed for diesel engines, which you can see in the approvals list.

So, did my imagination run wild and I dreamt this all up?

Exactly. Way too much conspiracy.

The only thing I am still perplexed about is why Mobil makes different 0W20 products for different markets.

Honestly? Different markets > different requirements and expectations
> different products and pricing as a result. Surprising?
Since you're talking about Germany/Europe. While in general very most
engine oil is more expensive compared to the US, for example M1 ESP
5W-30 (which I do consider to be one of the best things out there) isn't.
Actually it's cheaper there than it is in the US. Great value, a bit less so in
NA. Unsurprisingly it's quite popular in Europe, not so much in the USA.

Maybe the difference between EP and ESP is this: ESP is what Mobil creates when Mercedes and VW (but not BMW) are allowed to call the shots. EP is what they create when they are allowed to call the shots themselves (with a little help from Ford and GM).

You can see, in my response, that the additive levels are different. Part of that may be due to the ESP x2 product also being designed for diesel engines, which you can see in the approvals list.
I noticed that as well and wondered if it had to do with attempting to address the diesel market and the gasoline market with a single product line. Since the diesel market is so much bigger in Europe, it would make sense for them to do that,

Maybe the difference between EP and ESP is this: ESP is what Mobil creates when Mercedes and VW (but not BMW) are allowed to call the shots. EP is what they create when they are allowed to call the shots themselves (with a little help from Ford and GM).
I think it's more to do with the target products. In North America, that EP 0w-20 is directed, and approved, only for petrol applications, which are the largest market. European OEM's produce a lot of small diesels and typically these lubes are supposed to be designed for both, which the ESP x2 is. So you have a product that has to be designed for both service profiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back