Are computers becoming dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough question.

Before Sony came into existence.
There was a thriving media/entertainment industry which employed a great many people without the aid of computers to be fully functional.
It was based upon analogue technology and it was almost impossible to pirate anything.

The Sony business model was built on computer technology, and is susceptible to the inherent weaknesses of the technology.
Sony have to take responsibility for their own security.

One of the biggest spin offs from the computer age in terms of employment, has been in the emergence of IT Security.

Many good points made above. I have a little one to add on pop's comment.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
... fearful they may miss a text or be "out of touch". ...

The funny thing is that the person is sitting in a room with other people who aren't friends but whom they see regularly, yet there is no thought of taking this opportunity to say hello and become acquainted with these people right there within a ten foot radius.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
There is nothing wrong with using technology to augment both business and daily life. However, there is a large segment of the population who have become completely dependent upon technology, and rather than use technology as a tool, they allow technology to use them.

As an example, look at the segment of the population who can't put their cell phone down, fearful they may miss a text or be "out of touch". Using that same example, they often can't get from place to place without their cell phone or other navigation system telling them how to get there, often incorrectly.

Also look at those who are quite literally addicted to social media, but can't carry on a simple face to face conversation, or those who haven't learned reasonable spelling and grammar. Rather than learn a skill and then allow the technology tool to augment that skill, they've bypassed the learning stage and completely rely upon the technology to do it for them.

There is even a new "syndrome" available-the smart phone withdrawal syndrome-for those who find it painful to put down their gadget.

I have to agree here. We have idiots where i work that are looking at smart phones while crossing a street. I don't get that.

Last edited:
It's not that computers are dangerous, it's that people are still the weakest link. What I've read on the Sony hack was it was via one key IT person. They obtained his/her password and essentially had the keys to the kingdom.

You can engineer the best in security, but if someone has an easy to guess/hack password, or gives it up via social engineering, you are compromised.

The hackers then installed all sorts of software throughout Sony's IT infrastructure to send data to the hackers.

To over simplify, there are two types of hackers. One type is looking for long hanging fruit. If your security is better than someone elses, chances are, the hacker will move on to someone easier to hack. (Think Home Depot, Target, etc.)

The second type is highly motivated, perhaps ideologically driven. They will devote great skill and resources to get into their target because their motivation is to bring down that target. The first type is just trying to get a bunch of personal information, they don't care where or from whom it comes. The second type wants to cause problems for the specific target.

This is a much harder hack to defend because the adversary is motivated to keep trying until they gain access to their target network. They only need one exploit to gain access while you have to defend against everything, known and unknown at all times to keep them out.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Now that Sony has been shut down and cant' even use their own computers to make payroll can other computer systems also be made useless as well. How can our economy survive this kind of problem when it starts spreading?

I discovered that the cashiers at Walmart don't know how to make change without the display on the cash register. My bank teller can't explain the difference between a debit and a credit to my checking account. The front office person at my dentist office does not know what a credit adjustment does to my account balance but knows how to make entries in the office computer program. The cashier at the local convenience store refused to take a dollar coin as payment. I then asked her to break a 100 dollar bill. She asked my what bills I would like. I said 10 ten dollar bills, 2 twenties, 2 fives and 10 ones and she gave me exactly that. I had to give her back everything except for the tens. What's going to happen if computer systems start failing?

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I have to agree here. We have idiots where i work that are looking at smart phones while crossing a street. I don't get that.

I keep expecting to see these people taken out by their brethren who are looking at their smart phones while driving.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
It's not that computers are dangerous, it's that people are still the weakest link. What I've read on the Sony hack was it was via one key IT person. They obtained his/her password and essentially had the keys to the kingdom.

Speaking of kingdom: Didn't Anonymous end up revealing that the way they "hacked" into the Syrian president's email was simply ascertaining that his password was "12345"?

Originally Posted By: Ducman

I fear the pursuit to make absolutely everything idiot proof has just served to create better idiots.

That may be it, summed up in 1 sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back