Are Chassis Mount Wirewound Resistors waterproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered an LED taillight for my motorcycle and it is setting off the bulb warning light/fault on the CANBUS equipped computer.

The LED doesn't draw as much current as the CANBUS expects the incandescent bulb to draw. I have purchased a pair of 100 ohm 20W resistors that I have tried in parallel to ground with the LED and this has been effective in resolving the fault code as the combination of the load resistors and the LED's current draw has fooled the CANBUS system.

Anyhow, the resistors will be mounted underseat on my bike and could encounter moisture....not a lot, but based on some dried water marks I am seeing there, some droplets could splash up from time to time.

Below is a link to a resistor that looks like the ones I bought and I'm wondering if these are manufactured to be naturally sealed to the elements.

Picture of Resistor Style

I don't want to put these resistors inside a sealed waterproof box because the running light resistor does need to shed a fair amount of heat. I'd rather rivet them to a 3" by 4" piece of aluminum plate (to enlarge the heat-sink) and leave them bare under the seat.

Anybody have any thoughts here?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back