Are Battery Rebates Uncommon?

Substantial rebates or sales events for 12V lead acid batteries seem to be uncommon. Am I imagining this?

I have seen only a few threads over the last few years, where people were getting $40-$60 off the regular price.
The most recent rebate at O"Reilly was for only $25 (store gift card) on their most expensive batteries.

Napa has good sales on Eastern Penn batteries (Real Die hard and Deka) a couple of times a year, good deal about $50 less than AA for a fake Die Hard.

having bought 6 car batteries in the last 2 years for various cars in ChicagoLand I have looked for the Johnson Controls (now Clarios) name and have always found the best price even though some other places have rebates at Walmart (EverStart Maxx), Costco (Interstate) and Menard's (AC Delco)...these batteries have the same CCA, RC, CA and warranty as many other choices available...

I look to ease of warranty (although I've never had one fail in the 3 year replacement warranty) use and then price...

I recently found a Champion labeled AGM with a 4 year full replacement warranty at Pep Boys with the lowest price (if bought online and shipped to closest store) but I have doubts that Pep Boys would be able to service a warranty for 4 years...

Good luck with your choice,

Bill

some would say the best automotive batteries come from Enersys: Northstar and Odyssey.

Napa has good sales on Eastern Penn batteries (Real Die hard and Deka) a couple of times a year, good deal about $50 less than AA for a fake Die Hard.

The downside with NAPA is the warranty. Only 1.5 years of free replacement, compared to 3-4 years from other stores.
When I looked at the NAPA AGM group 35 battery online, it did not look like a East Penn battery. Maybe the photo is not accurate.

The black Napa Premium batteries have a 2 year free replacement warranty and a 2 year prorate after that.

Only battery I have seen with a 4 year free replacement warranty is either the "new" Diehard batteries from AAP or the AGM Champion batteries from Pep boys.

5 year free replacement warranty for Northstar AGM TPPL batteries from Batteries Plus... Cost $280 and up...

"...but I have doubts that Pep Boys would be able to service a warranty for 4 years."

By that you mean they might not be around in 4 years?
They'll probably still be around even if they get bought out. Issue is whether they'll still have that line around in 4 years to give you a replacement. They had Bosch at one point, but then discontinued it. The Champion might not be that bad though, It's a JCI battery as opposed to the Bosch which was an Exide so maybe they got tired of replacing them and got rid of the line. They also had a $40 rebate on the Champion AGM for a long while til the pandemic hit, glad to see it back at least for Black Friday. The rebate makes it the best deal on an AGM battery, Advance Auto and Autozone are more even with the discount codes.

The black Napa Premium batteries have a 2 year free replacement warranty and a 2 year prorate after that.

Only battery I have seen with a 4 year free replacement warranty is either the "new" Diehard batteries from AAP or the AGM Champion batteries from Pep boys.

5 year free replacement warranty for Northstar AGM TPPL batteries from Batteries Plus... Cost $280 and up...

Strange that NAPA offers a shorter warranty on the more expensive AGM battery.

A FREE REPLACEMENT is made when the defective battery is brought in for claim:
  1. within 36 months of purchase date for AAA & OPTIMA Automotive batteries.
  2. within 24 months of purchase date for NAPA OPTIMA Marine, NAPA OPTIMA Commercial, and LEGEND PREMIUM automotive batteries.
  3. within 18 months of purchase date for NAPA LEGEND PREMIUM AGM Automotive, NAPA LEGEND, NAPA Power, NAPA Group 30H, and NAPA Group 31 Commercial batteries.

Batteries+ has a 4 year free replacement warranty on the Duracell (EastPenn) Ultra Platinum AGM

Yeah I agree... Weird about the AGM at Napa.... That is just rather odd.

Yeah I forgot about the East Penn aka Duracell AGM at Batteries Plus... 4 year free replacement warranty...

"...but I have doubts that Pep Boys would be able to service a warranty for 4 years."

By that you mean they might not be around in 4 years?

I'm not sure Pep Boys will still exist selling parts (they have cut back quite a bit in the last year) and I don't know if their Champion battery line will still exist as they have changed from Bosch to Champion...both batteries seemed to be JCI (which sold their battery business) Clarios (the new owners at the same plant I believe)...

I liked that for a battery I want to buy in the Spring (AGM) Pep Boys has the Champion AGM with a 4 year full replacement warranty AND the best price by a good margin for an equal (and probably made at the same location) battery...same CA/CCA/RC etc...

when I replace this battery in the Spring (my ride is going into it's Winter slumber and the OEM AGM battery will be 6 years old next Spring) I will look again but when I find batteries with all the same stats in what appears to be the same case, I tend to conclude they are the same manufacturer (some even have that manufacturer stamped on the battery) and around ChicagoLand that brand seen most is Clarios...

so for me...when looking at the same battery from the same manufacturer why wouldn't you shop price, ease of warranty and reputation???...

Bill

Back