APR tunes the VW Gen 3 EA888 1.8t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I'm not considering a reprograming, but I think that it is interesting that there is anything like that much power left on the table in the stock program.

When the sales of a new model start dwindling in later years, one way to rejuvenate buyer interest is to add HP/torque to make the offering more attractive. Nothing makes it as easy as a turbo engine. Start with a detuned version, then release a more aggressive tune, but still keep it within safe reliability range. Computer CPU makers do it, too.

What the aftermarket tuners do on the other hand is often push the limit, sometimes affecting reliability. Obviously if you make something work that much harder, it's going to fail that much sooner. Most people who mod their cars are well aware of the potential risks, and when something breaks, this just gives them the opportunity to replace it with a beefier aftermarket component, so they're not necessarily too unhappy about it.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
APR's rep is taking a real hit in the Audi B5 S4 community recently. After all of the business S4 owners gave Arin, he turned around and basically told them as a group to F off after they caught him lying about performance numbers over in Europe. ...

I bet that would be a good read...

I'm not considering a reprograming, but I think that it is interesting that there is anything like that much power left on the table in the stock program.

I also found one of the threads where APR was discussing the boost interesting...

Unfortunately, most of the thread on QW was deleted because it got really ugly. I don't even know if the skeleton of what's left is still posted over there, that's how bad it was.

APR has a unique way of having you do map switching on your car. That is pretty cool. At least on my application a Stage 1 tune "realistically" would net about 25-30 WHP and about 40lbs of TQ.

For $600 that is a deal. I have been on the fence about it. Just not sure if I am confident enough in VAG group cars yet to void my warranty after 1 year though.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back