Appliance shortage - this is maddening.

I really hate seeing all the retail stores going out of business. I absolutely hate online shopping, as I like to choose and pick out what I'm buying in person. I don't and never have liked buying stuff sight unseen.

I really hate seeing all the retail stores going out of business. I absolutely hate online shopping, as I like to choose and pick out what I'm buying in person. I don't and never have liked buying stuff sight unseen.
Yeah, hope we get back to life soon … and I need to get internet shopping slowed down in my home … too easy to blow money on both wants and so called needs …

You might have to buy a brand that isn't your first choice. An example might be Frigidaire.
Look at what AJ Madison offers.
I had a custom home built that my wife and I had input on regarding design and materials.
We, not the builder, obtained the appliances. I bought them from AJ Madison and didn't have any issues.

If you happen to have a Floor & Decor, visit them for flooring.
Yeah, even to get a stainless Kenmore side by side … more basic than we had in mind … it was 6 weeks.
But hey, has through door ice etc ~ and I’m not expecting it to last as long as the KE 3 door it replaced …

I have had pretty good luck using customer reviews to judge sight unseen purchases. I have a bad taste in my mouth from Consumer Reports after a top rated robot vac they highly recommended gave me green light to buy, its on its last legs 3 years in.

Thanks to pandemic I actually ordered ~$300 worth of Corelle dishes and Pyrex containers all produced in the US that I normally would not have purchased otherwise. Sitting stuck at home lets me research a lot of purchases before I click buy - in my kitchen ware case it probably would have been an in store impulse purchase that may or may not have supported a US based and manufactured brand.

We live in nice apartment that had a 35+ year old Side by side GE. TheY gave a us a newer and smaller with top freezer....the $500 kind. It's really A very good fridge part, but smaller freezer, so we got a Midea 3 cu ft sub zero freezer for approx $200. Now I can get reaLLY GREAT ICE CREAM!

I had the same issue last year in July. My 25 years Amana fridge gave up, an attempt to fix it failed due to parts not available.
Checking regular website (HD, Lowes, BB, Sears, Amazon, AJ Madison, etc), delivery time was about 6 - 8 weeks (no guarantee).
Then I remembered buying the fridge that gave up from a local scratch-dent appliance store.
So, I went there, they had about 10 different variety of new fridge still shrink wrap with scratch and dent, obviously.
They opened the wrap for me to see, I found what I like, paid them with delivery fee and delivered/installed the next day (picked up the bad fridge, too).
It was a Black Whirlpool with French Door without door water/ice dispenser which I like (less feature, less problem).
It has a small hail ding which usually covered by fridge magnet.

The install was not easy because of the size, they have to dismantle/assemble the fridge doors to go inside the house.
They spent a good 30-40 minutes to do it.
Well worth the price of $75 delivery fee.

Moral of the story, I am sure in the Atlanta area, there should be local new appliance scratch and dent store.
Find those type of stores, check what they have in stock
We cannot be too picky but if you need it fast, that is probably what is available.

We just completed a complete remodel on our kitchen. We ordered cabinets and appliances from Lowes. Cabinets were from Shenadoah and arrived in 6 weeks after order date which was second week of September 2020. Appliances were ordered at the same time (GE Profile - fridge, dishwasher, oven, microwave, and cooktop). They just arrived this past Thursday. Lead times for everything has almost doubled.

GM has recently had to halt production of the C8 Corvette due to supplier shortages.

Vitrtually everything in a fridge doing the work is made in China I think, mine is, Electrolux side by side. Can’t get parts, can’t make it. Hello manufacturers, is this enough wake up call?

My son is a salesman for a large HVAC firm in PA. He sells to contractors, large building complexes, etc. His sales are way up but his problem is suppliers of heating and cooling equipment. They are telling him that many of their workers are refusing to come to work for fear of being infected. So they are apparently limping along and making do with fewer production workers.

Makes you wonder what the quality will be of stuff produced under these conditions!
Yes and they can draw unemployment while refusing to work. All they have to do is say they are afraid of Covid.

Yep pretty much a shortage of everything right now. I haven’t been able to get parts for some of my stuff and for some of my customers stuff either. We need a new washer and dryer and haven’t been able to find one.

We bought a Whirlpool fridge last spring as well with the stimulus. The refrigerator door is already sagging, it’s noisy for a new fridge and the kick plate mount is not on right.

Last Whirlpool we will buy.
not as easy to avoid as you might think...
they own/make: (copied from Wikipedia)

Major brands​

Special situations​

and if you're wanting American Made Appliances:
"In the US, Whirlpool has nine manufacturing facilities: Amana, Iowa; Tulsa, Oklahoma; Cleveland, Tennessee; Clyde, Ohio; Findlay, Ohio; Greenville, Ohio; Marion, Ohio; Ottawa, Ohio; and Fall River, Massachusetts."
I don't know about any of the plants outside Ohio, or the one in Clyde, but...
Findlay, Ohio - Dishwashers
Greenville, Ohio - KitchenAid mixers
Marion, Ohio - Ovens/Ranges/Cooktops
Ottawa, Ohio - Freezers (Former WC Woods plant - my nephew works here, they hired him right out of HS @ $18/hr)

Last edited:
Based on the stores around here, my impression is that Home Depot, Best Buy, and Menards stock very little in large appliances. They want to deliver everything (from centralized warehouses/distribution centers). Lowes seems to have a decent level of stock in individual stores though. Do they stock everything they sell ? Of course not, but for the popular / top-selling units, they seem to keep those around.
I used to get all appliances at Lowes because they stocked them at their stores. They used XPO logistics to do the delivery so if you ordered by 3pm, they would deliver the next day and call you around 8pm that night to tell you what their delivery window was. That all went out the door a few months ago, none of their stores had anything in stock and I guess XPO got slammed with deliveries or had shortages of delivery drivers and even if it was in stock, they couldn't guarantee delivery for a few days. Home Depot, best buy seem to use that warehouse model and if it was in stock they still kept to the 1-2 week delivery window which still worked. Pretty much everyone price matches so there's no store that's cheaper than others.

Maybe it's a regional thing. My local Lowes lists the following appliances in stock "for pickup today":

18 - dishwashers
11 - electric ranges
14 - electric dryers
9 - top-load washers
9 - front-load washers

Granted, many they just 1-3 of each model available. Home Depot, on the other hand, says "10 dishwashers on display" at my local store. Delivery (free) is the only choice for getting them it seems.

Being unable to repair my 19 year old dryer, I purchased a new Samsung dryer from the Home Depot. Did it online as the store associate was unable to tell me which models were in stock. He said, I have to tell him the model I want, and he'll look it up. After going 0 for 3, I gave up. Nothing was in stock. Online showed a Samsung dryer. 2 week delivery That was the best they had. Two weeks later I get a phone call that the delivery truck broke down there would be no dryer for me that day. HD contracts out the delivery. The delivery company said it would be a 1 week delay. Told them that's nuts but whatever. Next day they sent an email saying a 2 week delay for delivery. Now, I'm being yanked around. Went to my local appliance store where I should have went first. Walked in told them I wanted a gas dryer. The guy laughed. Said he had the last 3 gas driers in county. Take the Whirlpool floor model or wait until October for a new in box one. It came out cheaper than the Samsung with rebates and floor model discount and general discount of MSRP. Delivery in 2 weeks. Which surprised me how busy they were since stock is so low. Two weeks later they showed up and installed it. Installer guy was great.

Retail stores that adept at adapting seem to thrive in new markets. Its the ones who stay the same die off a slow painful death.

from the Home Depot. Did it online as the store associate was unable to tell me which models were in stock.
My experience is that Lowes has the best in-store stock for various appliances. HD, Best Buy, Menards (a midwest-based chain same as Lowes, HD, etc) have minimal stock, if any, and everything is "ordered" and delivered to your house. I actually wonder they all get supplied from the same warehouse or a couple warehouses because I see neighbors getting appliances delivered in plain, white box trucks, not branded trucks from those stores.

Being unable to repair my 19 year old dryer, I purchased a new Samsung dryer from the Home Depot. Did it online as the store associate was unable to tell me which models were in stock. He said, I have to tell him the model I want, and he'll look it up. After going 0 for 3, I gave up. Nothing was in stock. Online showed a Samsung dryer. 2 week delivery That was the best they had. Two weeks later I get a phone call that the delivery truck broke down there would be no dryer for me that day. HD contracts out the delivery. The delivery company said it would be a 1 week delay. Told them that's nuts but whatever. Next day they sent an email saying a 2 week delay for delivery. Now, I'm being yanked around. Went to my local appliance store where I should have went first. Walked in told them I wanted a gas dryer. The guy laughed. Said he had the last 3 gas driers in county. Take the Whirlpool floor model or wait until October for a new in box one. It came out cheaper than the Samsung with rebates and floor model discount and general discount of MSRP. Delivery in 2 weeks. Which surprised me how busy they were since stock is so low. Two weeks later they showed up and installed it. Installer guy was great.
Pretty much exact thing happened to us with a washer from HD. In 2006! I don't think this is C-19 thing with them. They have always been screwed up.

What happened 3 months ago? Paid for a washer from Costco using our Costco rebate. Did the appointment thing......get a call on that date - "lost the washer in the warehouse" Uh-huh. Sure. Not even a remedy offered! So in the end they refunded the rebate as cash.

As someone else said, you should have gone to Lowes. I actually just had to buy a stove. Wasn't that bad, the most popular cheap models were out of stock, but I never get the cheapest one anyway. The one I normally buy was about $550, normally when I first started buying them 10+ years ago, they were around $400 so I guess that's inflation for you. Anyway, the store I picked had one in stock so I gambled and ordered it. Online they said they would deliver in 2 days which wasn't bad, before it was over a month plus. It ended up being delayed one day so not bad, 3 days for delivery. Pre-pandemic, it was order by 3pm get it the next day. They basically have the same price as Home Depot. Home Depot has always been 2-3 weeks. I pretty much get everything else at Home Depot, but for appliances, I always do Lowes. During the pandemic I had to do Best Buy and even Sears and was happy to pay the $76 delivery charge that Sears had, it got delivered in a week, everyone else was a month plus.

Back