Apple finally EOS'd my Mac Pro

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Well, it's been a good run.

I had to put a new video card in my Mac Pro a while back (mid 2010) to run Mojave. It needed a card that supported METAL, so I managed to find an EVGA reference card (GTX 680) that could be flashed with the Mac firmware to give me the boot screen. I figured that future support at that point was going to be short; the writing was on the wall essentially.

So, it should really come as no surprise that Catalina won't officially support this old girl. She's had a few upgrades (SSD, newer CPU, more RAM) over the years and it technically is capable of running the OS, and I could get it on with a modification but I don't think I'm going to bother. Am considering swapping it out for Linux at some point once Mojave stops getting updates, or maybe sooner depending on my mood.

I'm planning on trying Linux on my desktop. Just got a newer (2013) Thinkpad from my boss... I7, 8gb ram, ssd, decent dedicated graphics that were for AutoCAD (what it was used for). Runs amazingly fast for a 7 year old machine. It's crazy how long you can keep a laptop now and still have it work decent.

I just "upgraded" my Alienware M18x laptop to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate. So far it has been pretty smooth. Of course my favorite time waster game, Command and Conquer Generals, won't play.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I had to put a new video card in my Mac Pro a while back (mid 2010) to run Mojave. It needed a card that supported METAL, so I managed to find an EVGA reference card (GTX 680) that could be flashed with the Mac firmware to give me the boot screen. I figured that future support at that point was going to be short; the writing was on the wall essentially.

So, it should really come as no surprise that Catalina won't officially support this old girl. She's had a few upgrades (SSD, newer CPU, more RAM) over the years and it technically is capable of running the OS, and I could get it on with a modification but I don't think I'm going to bother. Am considering swapping it out for Linux at some point once Mojave stops getting updates, or maybe sooner depending on my mood.

Your Mac Pro will run on Catalina. Go to website: dosdude1.com Click on "My Software" and then "macOS Catalina Patcher". Read how your Mac can run Catalina.

My late 2009 iMac (Core i7, 2.8ghz, 16Gb Ram) is running Mojave with ease, and will run Catalina once Apple gets the bugs out of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I just "upgraded" my Alienware M18x laptop to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate. So far it has been pretty smooth. Of course my favorite time waster game, Command and Conquer Generals, won't play.

I just updated my 7 year old Thinkpad t530 from windows 7 to 10 and it's running awesome. Just as fast as before, although the 150gb ssd was maxed out with only a few hundred mb left before I installed Windows 10 and wiped everything.

Compared to my old Lenovo g550 from 2010 it flies.

Originally Posted by Hombre909

Your Mac Pro will run on Catalina. Go to website: dosdude1.com Click on "My Software" and then "macOS Catalina Patcher". Read how your Mac can run Catalina.

My late 2009 iMac (Core i7, 2.8ghz, 16Gb Ram) is running Mojave with ease, and will run Catalina once Apple gets the bugs out of it.

Oh, I know, as I said I can "modify" it to work, but Apple doesn't officially support it. The hardware is more than capable of running it.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Im typing this from a 2010 macbook air.

Incredible how mac runs well for so long...

It is!

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Im typing this from a 2010 macbook air.

Incredible how mac runs well for so long...

My 2010 Macbook Air works just fine too. It originally came with Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and the most I can upgrade to is 10.9 (Mavericks).

Last edited:
These days windows machines are pretty good as well. Old Thinkpads last forever and can easily be upgraded. Some of the MacBooks had fatal hardware flaws that are difficult or impossible to repair according to some YouTube channels.

2010 Lenovo that cost me $699 Canadian new (like $500 us) still working, but slowing down a bit since it was lower end specs. 2012-2013 high end Thinkpad seems as fast as anything in daily tasks. I also have a 2012ish desktop and a 2013 Samsung laptop my gf uses which are both running well.

The technology doesn't change like it used to. I remember PC's slowing down within a couple of years, blue screen of death etc. Not anymore luckily.

I have a early 2011 13" MBP. Replaced the hard drive with a SSD and it still does what I need it to. Apple laptops come with a premium display which is usually brighter and of higher resolution than most Windows laptops. Nothing wrong with Windows, but you gotta spend big money to match the display on a MBP. I know Macs aren't cheap.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I have a early 2011 13" MBP. Replaced the hard drive with a SSD and it still does what I need it to. Apple laptops come with a premium display which is usually brighter and of higher resolution than most Windows laptops. Nothing wrong with Windows, but you gotta spend big money to match the display on a MBP. I know Macs aren't cheap.

True, a lot of older laptops had terrible displays. The free Thinkpad I got was over $2000 new and has a decent 1080p display. Not sure if it's as good as a MacBook pro from the same era but I would bet it's close.

I couldn't afford to buy anything that pricy, which is why I bought the Lenovo base model 10 years ago. Despite not being a Thinkpad the hardware held up.

My mid-2010 iMac 11,2 is stuck at High Sierra. I'll probably run it for a couple more years then upgrade to something a lot newer. I have thought about upgrading the video card, but I don't really know if I feel like gutting the whole thing and/or then trying to find an MXM GPU.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
These days windows machines are pretty good as well. Old Thinkpads last forever and can easily be upgraded. Some of the MacBooks had fatal hardware flaws that are difficult or impossible to repair according to some YouTube channels.

2010 Lenovo that cost me $699 Canadian new (like $500 us) still working, but slowing down a bit since it was lower end specs. 2012-2013 high end Thinkpad seems as fast as anything in daily tasks. I also have a 2012ish desktop and a 2013 Samsung laptop my gf uses which are both running well.

The technology doesn't change like it used to. I remember PC's slowing down within a couple of years, blue screen of death etc. Not anymore luckily.

Pretty sure you are talking about the MBP's with NVidia chipsets. This plagued PC's as well; certainly wasn't isolated to Apple products. Most of those PC's got junked, whilst, given the cost of the Apple units, people were swapping boards, trying to fix them...etc. So the issue became much more broadly known.

And yes, it's quite impressive how hardware that's seemingly long in the tooth will satisfactorily run Windows 10.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

True, a lot of older laptops had terrible displays. The free Thinkpad I got was over $2000 new and has a decent 1080p display. Not sure if it's as good as a MacBook pro from the same era but I would bet it's close.

I couldn't afford to buy anything that pricy, which is why I bought the Lenovo base model 10 years ago. Despite not being a Thinkpad the hardware held up.

My MBP is a mid-2014 and has a 2880x1800 display (what Apple called "Retina").

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Looks like it had a good run. Now it's time to put it in a storage for the next 30 years and watch it appreciate in value....

I have a couple of old Macs in my "vintage" collection already
grin.gif
I don't know what the heck happened to my Mac Plus though, I can't seem to find it.

grin.gif
I don't know what the heck happened to my Mac Plus though, I can't seem to find it.

Nice, mine is long gone but my first Mac was a Mac Plus and then I bought a (30Mb?) external hard drive for it. For desktops next came an SE (wanted an SE/30), then a IIci (wanted a IIfx), then a 7600 (which I still have with a G4 card) then a Windows computer and finally a couple of Mac Minis.

Originally Posted by kschachn
grin.gif

Nice, mine is long gone but my first Mac was a Mac Plus and then I bought a (30Mb?) external hard drive for it. For desktops next came an SE (wanted an SE/30), then a IIci (wanted a IIfx), then a 7600 (which I still have with a G4 card) then a Windows computer and finally a couple of Mac Minis.

thumbsup2.gif
I have a couple of generations of iMac, as well as a PowerMac (can't remember the model off-hand) but I've only recently resurrected the iMac, Powerbook (clamshell) and my 486SX/25 by TI
grin.gif

Pretty sure you are talking about the MBP's with NVidia chipsets. This plagued PC's as well; certainly wasn't isolated to Apple products. Most of those PC's got junked, whilst, given the cost of the Apple units, people were swapping boards, trying to fix them...etc. So the issue became much more broadly known.

And yes, it's quite impressive how hardware that's seemingly long in the tooth will satisfactorily run Windows 10.

I wasn't aware of the Nvidia problem. My Thinkpad from 2014 has an Nvidia video card too. No issues so far. It was used for CAD every day at work for a number of years until someone upgraded.

I was thinking of motherboard issues and screen issues talked about on Louis Rossman's YouTube channel. He definitely is biased against apple though since they are trying to kill off people's ability to get their stuff fixed.

Back