Apple cancels EV development

Apple's R&D is insane because of the huge amounts of money they have. You bet they looked into the concept of EVs in general. They saw something looming on the horizon and backed out.

Apple is a titan-level company and everyone follows. They already have Apple Carplay which millions of people already love, so no harm done tbh.
Well well...

Being second to market has not hurt Apple in the past. The iPhone was not the first smartphone, and the iPad was not the first tablet, they just made both products much better that what existed in the marketplace at the time.

Car manufacturing is a cut-throat, low margin business and I don't think the projected returns were there for the finance guys to sign off on it.

Same reason they've never made a TV, despite years of speculation, there are already great TVs out there, and it's not a high margin business.

Apple also prides themselves on their ability to differentiate themselves from their competitors in their chosen markets, perhaps here that was not a possiblity either.
All it takes is one mis step in the market. Sharp was THE leader in big screen tv's and displays used in Times Square etc. They were worth Billions. They were purchased by a Chinese company a few years back for under 300 million dollars.

All it takes is one mis step in the market. Sharp was THE leader in big screen tv's and displays used in Times Square etc. They were worth Billions. They were purchased by a Chinese company a few years back for under 300 million dollars.

Similar to Blackberry phones. Now you can’t give these phones away for free.

I think they backed out due to upcoming litigation. I think some governments out there want to see Apple splinter into many. Maybe they're pausing the ev efforts before deciding what to do with it. There is no doubt they have some neat stuff being developed.

Back